Skyfall - Blu-ray Review - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 Old 02-16-13, 08:09 AM
Elite Shackster
 
Jon Liu's Avatar
Jon
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 1,489
My System
Re: Skyfall - Blu-ray Review

Thanks for the review, Mike. I was thoroughly surprised by Skyfall when I saw it in theaters. Quantum of Solace wasn't all that great, so I had my reservations when I went to see it. After we finished watching it in theaters I knew that this one was going to be an amazing presentation and must-own on blu-ray!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Jon Liu is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 35 Old 02-16-13, 08:24 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Dwight Angus's Avatar
Dwight
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Barrie Ontario Canada
Posts: 903
Re: Skyfall - Blu-ray Review

Watched it last night. Best Bond movie to date. The presentation, audio & video were top tier.

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
Dwight Angus is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 02-16-13, 03:05 PM
HTS Moderator
 
ALMFamily's Avatar
Joe
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,209
My System
Re: Skyfall - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
Thanks for the review, Mike. I was thoroughly surprised by Skyfall when I saw it in theaters. Quantum of Solace wasn't all that great, so I had my reservations when I went to see it. After we finished watching it in theaters I knew that this one was going to be an amazing presentation and must-own on blu-ray!
Jon,

Just wanted to say a quick hello and say it is good to hear from you! Hope all is well.
ALMFamily is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 02-21-13, 10:47 PM
Shackster
 
kingpin748's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 75
My System
Why do I feel like the only guy who thought Skyfall was the weakest Daniel Craig Bond flick? I'm not saying it was bad but I just don't know why everyone gushes so much about it.
kingpin748 is offline  
post #25 of 35 Old 02-21-13, 11:16 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 489
Re: Skyfall - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
kingpin748 wrote: View Post
I just don't know why everyone gushes so much about it.
Maybe because it is so different from most OO7 films. Considering how the movie ends, it is amazing that it grossed over $1.1 billion (with a B) worldwide. Audiences ate it up and came back for more.

Personally, I think the best thing to happen to the Bond films was Jason Bourne: the spy business has gone from the stylish men's club feel of 'Dr.No' to the much harsher reality of 'Skyfall' (can't even trust your own employer).

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #26 of 35 Old 02-22-13, 08:48 AM
Senior Shackster
 
mvision7m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sullivan County NY
Posts: 192
Quote:
sdurani wrote: View Post
Maybe because it is so different from most OO7 films. Considering how the movie ends, it is amazing that it grossed over $1.1 billion (with a B) worldwide. Audiences ate it up and came back for more.

Personally, I think the best thing to happen to the Bond films was Jason Bourne: the spy business has gone from the stylish men's club feel of 'Dr.No' to the much harsher reality of 'Skyfall' (can't even trust your own employer).
Wow. Good point regarding the Bourne Identity influence.

I really enjoyed Skyfall, for one because Bond wasn't "perfect". The film openly alluded to the fact that he's aging and not the razor sharp instrument of death he once was but can still rely on his quick thinking, muscle memory and his still above average physical abilities to get the job done even when others close to him think otherwise. It did portray a more vulnerable Bond than previous films.

What I did find odd was the demise of the villain at the end. A quick knife to the back and that was that. No big climactic fight to the death between him and Bond with Bond just barely winning out.

In spite of that, it was still an enjoyable movie that I hope stands up to multiple viewings. I think it's the best of the three followed by Casino Royale.
mvision7m is offline  
post #27 of 35 Old 02-22-13, 08:56 AM
Elite Shackster
 
asere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,599
My System
Thanks for the review and comments. I need to see it soon!
asere is online now  
post #28 of 35 Old 02-22-13, 11:06 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Monterey Park, CA
Posts: 489
Re: Skyfall - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
mvision7m wrote: View Post
Good point regarding the Bourne Identity influence.
Up until recently, I doubt the Bond franchise would have considered the notion that M and the agency/country would willingly betray one of their own (which is the premise of the Bourne stories). You might not like what Silva does in the film, but you understand where he is coming from.
Quote:
mvision7m wrote: View Post
The film openly alluded to the fact that he's aging and not the razor sharp instrument of death he once was...
Yeah, a bit more than alluding: they made sure to point it out several times and kept a grey stubble on Daniel Craig though a good chunk of the movie. I wanted to yell at the screen 'I got it, I got it, he's old'. Kinda surprising though; I mean they just re-booted the OO7 franchise with 'Casino Royale', showing a fresh new Bond getting his double-oh designation, and two films later Bond is already being portrayed as the 'old man'? I could understand 5 or 6 films into his run, but this soon?
Quote:
mvision7m wrote: View Post
What I did find odd was the demise of the villain at the end. A quick knife to the back and that was that. No big climactic fight to the death between him and Bond with Bond just barely winning out.
Probably should have put that in spoilers, considering some of the folks reading this thread might not have seen this movie. Having said that, I don't really consider anyone 'winning' in this film; felt more like everyone loses, just how much they lose determines who came out on top.

Remember how the Connery films used to end, with him in a raft or under a parachute, making out with some hot babe, waiting to be rescued? Compare that to 'Skyfall'. Is Bond even able stop the villian from accomplishing his goal? Are there any main characters (Bond, Eve, M) that aren't damaged goods by the end of the 'Skyfall'?

Very different approach to Bond, and one that's probably here to stay (grossing over $1.1 Billion will send a signal to the producers that they were on the right track with this movie). Personally, I love it. Feels adult, like Bond finally grew up.

Sanjay
sdurani is online now  
post #29 of 35 Old 02-22-13, 11:09 AM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 575
Re: Skyfall - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
mvision7m wrote: View Post
Wow. Good point regarding the Bourne Identity influence.

I really enjoyed Skyfall, for one because Bond wasn't "perfect". The film openly alluded to the fact that he's aging and not the razor sharp instrument of death he once was but can still rely on his quick thinking, muscle memory and his still above average physical abilities to get the job done even when others close to him think otherwise. It did portray a more vulnerable Bond than previous films.

What I did find odd was the demise of the villain at the end. A quick knife to the back and that was that. No big climactic fight to the death between him and Bond with Bond just barely winning out.

In spite of that, it was still an enjoyable movie that I hope stands up to multiple viewings. I think it's the best of the three followed by Casino Royale.
On that same note being anti-climactic, the villain being a familiar to M as a disgruntled ex-employee basicly, made a difference to me as far as the villains demise as well as M's demise. It was a more or less fitting end for both.
ericzim is offline  
post #30 of 35 Old 03-05-13, 05:09 PM
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ottawa Canada
Posts: 718
My System
Re: Skyfall - Blu-ray Review

This BluRay rocks from the get go. Amazing picture clarity, excellent use of surrounds and SUB. I'm glad I"ve added this to my collection. About the flick itself, I think this is the best Daniel Craig James Bond by far as it shows Bond's weaknesses mixed in with some much needed humor for a change. I see this flick as going back to the old formula Bond without the added darkness that was so prevalent in the other Craig makes.
3dbinCanada is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bluray , review , skyfall

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome