The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 30 Old 03-20-13, 10:55 PM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Blu-ray Review

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. I'll likely go pick it up later this week, maybe when I pick up Les Miserables.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 03-20-13, 11:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Bought this up on pre-release, one of the few movies I sat through at the theater. Long time Tolkien fan and was anxious to add this one to my collection. As always Mike, a great review.
post #13 of 30 Old 03-21-13, 07:45 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
it is NOT as good as the original LOTR trilogy, I full admit, but after a second viewing it grows on you a bit more. Still a very fun romp
You know, I wonder if that is why Jackson decided to flesh out the main protagonist part for this movie as even in the book, the story starts out fairly slow.
post #14 of 30 Old 03-21-13, 09:59 AM
Senior Shackster

Muad' Dib

My System

Is Jackson going to release an extended cut version in the fall like he did with LOTR?

If so I think I might wait to purchase the EE version rather than get the theatrical
release. I agree with many of the points in the review that the film's light hearted
sections felt a bit disjointed. I was looking for something dark and somber like his
versions of LOTR. But thorough enjoyable nonetheless.

Great review by the way.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-21-13, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
mpompey wrote: View Post
Is Jackson going to release an extended cut version in the fall like he did with LOTR?

If so I think I might wait to purchase the EE version rather than get the theatrical
release. I agree with many of the points in the review that the film's light hearted
sections felt a bit disjointed. I was looking for something dark and somber like his
versions of LOTR. But thorough enjoyable nonetheless.

Great review by the way.
1. yes, another 20 minute extended cut is announced with a rumored date of mid sept
2. you probably won't get a darker version for the simple fact that the BOOK was a lighthearted adventure, the LOTR books were a drastic change in tone from the Hobbit due to the fact that the Hobbit was written for children as an adventure book and the trilogy was written more for adults
post #16 of 30 Old 03-21-13, 01:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

It definitely has a different tone to the film than LOTR, heartily enjoyable nonetheless. Bilbo and Gandalf casted and portrayed perfectly thus far. The audio is recorded at a much lower level than most films, as my volume is typically a 6-12 range and watched this at 3, probably should have increased to 1 or 0.
post #17 of 30 Old 03-21-13, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
ironglen wrote: View Post
It definitely has a different tone to the film than LOTR, heartily enjoyable nonetheless. Bilbo and Gandalf casted and portrayed perfectly thus far. The audio is recorded at a much lower level than most films, as my volume is typically a 6-12 range and watched this at 3, probably should have increased to 1 or 0.
I've noticed this with many 7.1 mixes being played back on 5.1 (I don't know if it's the same being played back on 7.1), I always have to turn the volume up a few notches to compensate.
post #18 of 30 Old 03-21-13, 01:29 PM
Elite Shackster

Glen

Quote:
I've noticed this with many 7.1 mixes being played back on 5.1 (I don't know if it's the same being played back on 7.1), I always have to turn the volume up a few notches to compensate.
Right on. I viewed it 5.1 and I must say it even looked significantly better than most films on my 720p projector.
post #19 of 30 Old 03-21-13, 01:30 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
1.yes, another 20 minute extended cut is announced with a rumored date of mid sept
2. you probably won't get a darker version for the simple fact that the BOOK was a lighthearted adventure, the LOTR books were a drastic change in tone from the Hobbit due to the fact that the Hobbit was written for children as an adventure book and the trilogy was written more for adults
Yay! I am always anxious to see what had to be cut - with the LOTR movies, I noticed that the EE really got rid of that disjointed storyline.
post #20 of 30 Old 03-22-13, 10:49 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Nice review. I saw this once in the theater and enjoyed it even though I thought it was slow at times. I think I'll wait for the extended boxed set to be released after all three movies come out though. It'll be years but hey, I waited for the LOTR trilogy.