Olympus Has Fallen - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 27 Old 08-19-13, 12:33 PM
Shackster
Dustin

My System
Send a message via MSN to PC509
Re: Olympus Has Fallen - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
tripplej wrote: View Post
Thanks for the review. I put in the other review.. Will add here.. Doesn't this movie seem to be cliche in the sense like those Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal movies?? Like Hollywood has to just rehash these movies with newer actors with a slight change in the story line..
The 80's style action star movies? Similar to Expendables? Just cast the action and create a plot line to go with it? I hope not. I'm hoping there is some more content to it than that. I love that style of action movie where it's all action and very little actual plot, but it does get old.

Seems like a decent movie, but lackluster in the LFE and video (mainly black) department. Probably start with a rental... Just seems mediocre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 08-19-13, 01:08 PM
Senior Shackster

My System

So, so movie, but it really shined in the bass department. Bottomed out my subs a few times.

Spoiler**
I know it is a movie, but I was rolling the eyes a bit when one C130 was able to reek as much havoc as it did. I mean C'mon, only 2 F16's and they both get taken out
post #13 of 27 Old 08-22-13, 09:28 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Thanks for the review Mike!

As I like both Butler and Freeman, this is a probably a blind buy for me, but I will temper my expectations on the quality of the picture.

And, is it just me, or does it seem like Morgan Freeman is in EVERYTHING?!
post #14 of 27 Old 08-22-13, 10:51 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
Thanks for the review Mike!

As I like both Butler and Freeman, this is a probably a blind buy for me, but I will temper my expectations on the quality of the picture.

And, is it just me, or does it seem like Morgan Freeman is in EVERYTHING?!
I think he's padding for retirement.
post #15 of 27 Old 08-22-13, 11:02 AM
Shackster
Dustin

My System
Send a message via MSN to PC509

Watched this last night. A few times the bass was great, but there were some points where I was expecting it to, and it didn't have the 'punch'. Not saying I've been in many explosions, but typically in movies there is a bit more 'boom' and rumble with it.

Excellent movie, though.

Oddly enough, I watched 2 Morgan Freeman movies (also Oblivion) last night, just by chance. He has been in a lot of things lately. Not that I mind, he's a good actor!
post #16 of 27 Old 08-22-13, 11:35 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

I watched it last night and the soundtrack was stellar as was teh picture quality. Story line was very weak.
post #17 of 27 Old 08-22-13, 11:57 AM
Shackster
miguel vigo

i agree the bass were lacking some punch, but it was still enjoyable to watch.
post #18 of 27 Old 09-12-13, 04:39 AM
Shackster

Just watched it. Well it has action I guess but has so many glaring and painful plot-holes that I won't bother again!

I mean seriously, a self destruct on a nuke to prevent its use that can simply not be overridden? and that makes them vulnerable to a nuclear attack? Um icbms dont PREVENT an attack. And im sure in a matter of minutes the system could be removed from stored icbms before launch. Not to mention I doubt such a stupidly easy to figure out system would have 1 unchangeable code that couldn't be stopped. Weak. And would that somehow affect all nuke subs etc too? Whatabout nuke payload cruise missiles? Weak plot line.

And having a self destruct would not I repeat not actually detonate a nuclear warhead. It would no doubt just detonate the fuel etc at worst spreading nuclear material in and around the silo. The us would have to be pretty dumb to make a universal code that could obliterate their own country lol.

And I thought the us govt dont negotiate with terrorists? Wouldnt they just level the whitehouse to prevent nuclear attack? Or is the president apparently worth more than the other 250million people...

Also im glad I dont live in america, it seems everyone has machine guns and EVERYTHING explodes...

And whats with movies lately, seem to often be duplicate movies being released like this and white house down? I smell a mole haha!

Last edited by Lunchietey; 09-12-13 at 05:08 AM.
post #19 of 27 Old 09-12-13, 11:43 AM
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Uh... I don't think I would watch a movie and come to the conclusion that what happened in the movie really happens in real life, especially when the movie is fiction. I definitely would not say the movie is representative of anything that has happened in the U.S. True... I do see the plot holes, but I see those in lots of movies, especially fictional movies.

That does not mean that I would not consider moving to Australia at some point, especially if our leadership continues in the direction is seems to be headed... not to provoke any political arguments, just my opinion.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #20 of 27 Old 09-12-13, 11:43 AM
Elite Shackster

Jeff

My System
Quote:
Lunchietey wrote: View Post
Just watched it. Well it has action I guess but has so many glaring and painful plot-holes that I won't bother again!

I mean seriously, a self destruct on a nuke to prevent its use that can simply not be overridden? and that makes them vulnerable to a nuclear attack? Um icbms dont PREVENT an attack. And im sure in a matter of minutes the system could be removed from stored icbms before launch. Not to mention I doubt such a stupidly easy to figure out system would have 1 unchangeable code that couldn't be stopped. Weak. And would that somehow affect all nuke subs etc too? Whatabout nuke payload cruise missiles? Weak plot line.

And having a self destruct would not I repeat not actually detonate a nuclear warhead. It would no doubt just detonate the fuel etc at worst spreading nuclear material in and around the silo. The us would have to be pretty dumb to make a universal code that could obliterate their own country lol.

And I thought the us govt dont negotiate with terrorists? Wouldnt they just level the whitehouse to prevent nuclear attack? Or is the president apparently worth more than the other 250million people...

Also im glad I dont live in america, it seems everyone has machine guns and EVERYTHING explodes...

And whats with movies lately, seem to often be duplicate movies being released like this and white house down? I smell a mole haha!
I think with movies like this it's better to not constantly analyze throughout. Just grab your popcorn, drink of choice, and enjoy the mayhem. Oh and by the way here in America we like machine guns and blowing stuff up.