Pacific Rim - Blu-ray Review - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 85 Old 10-18-13, 10:58 PM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
Mike, your Deftechs should suffice, though (at least in the mean time)! I know that the stated frequency range digs down to 20Hz according to Deftech. Still, you'll definitely want to get a good dedicated sub to truly appreciate soundtracks like these!
They do pretty good but my room is huge(~7000 cu. ft.). With REW they are fairly efficient to about 30hz and drop off fairly quickly after that. I do have an old b&w 12" ported sub I got off Craigslist that goes a tad lower and has added some extra oomph but a pair of PSA or possibly DIY subs is what I'm looking into for movies just like this. I listen at high volume and with such a huge room, I need a lot of output to pressurize the space. It'll make watching movies like pacific rim that much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 08:25 AM
Senior Shackster

Dwight

Re: Pacific Rim - Blu-ray Review

I've watched it 3 times so far. I just skip to the battle scenes. Their incredible. The video quality is the best I've scene.

Mains Goldenear Triton One's
Center Channel- Goldenear Super Centre XL
Surrounds- Goldenear SuperSat 50's
Amps - Bryston 4Bsst2/Emotiva XPA-5
Processor -Onkyo PR-SC5508
Projector - Sony VPL-HW55ES
Screen- Elunevision 140 inch 4K Audio Weave. Aspect ratio 2.35 gain 1.2 fixed screen
Bluray/Universal player-OPPO 105D
post #53 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 08:32 AM
gpo
Shackster
gpo

ok, this was by far the worst action movie of 2013.

I love all kind of alien action movies like Transformers, War of The Worlds, Godzilla, Cloverfield, Star Trek, etc, but this one was stupid.... despite the good amount of LFE bass...

I disliked the actors in all ways (i.e. the scientist were silly and too jumpy for me & this captain or whatever he was supposed to be, did eventually a sort of speech... man that was the most copied speech ever). Also every guy was a lookalike of eachother ... and a bad script/story I guess. Combined this with some seriously bad acting....

The robots were actually quite silly also... doying all this Mike Tyson stuff... Why not just enormeous amounts of firepower? The story itself didn't grow on me at all also; no character development or whatsoever. No, for me this is a never-watch-again movie.

Surprisingly all around the internet I see 2 camps: you like it totally or dislike it totally. You can see this also on imdb... quite strange actually.

I watched it with my girlfriend; she also felt really bored watching this movie. Friends of my watched it also and thought it was a horrendous movie also (one of them actually fell asleep).

Going to watch World War Z tonight; hope it is much better...

GPO
post #54 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 08:55 AM
Shackster

My System

Iron Man 3 was the worst one!!!!!!!!!!
post #55 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 08:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
gpo wrote: View Post
ok, this was by far the worst action movie of 2013. I love all kind of alien action movies like Transformers, War of The Worlds, Godzilla, Cloverfield, Star Trek, etc, but this one was stupid.... despite the good amount of LFE bass... I disliked the actors in all ways (i.e. the scientist were silly and too jumpy for me & this captain or whatever he was supposed to be, did eventually a sort of speech... man that was the most copied speech ever). Also every guy was a lookalike of eachother ... and a bad script/story I guess. Combined this with some seriously bad acting.... The robots were actually quite silly also... doying all this Mike Tyson stuff... Why not just enormeous amounts of firepower? The story itself didn't grow on me at all also; no character development or whatsoever. No, for me this is a never-watch-again movie. Surprisingly all around the internet I see 2 camps: you like it totally or dislike it totally. You can see this also on imdb... quite strange actually. I watched it with my girlfriend; she also felt really bored watching this movie. Friends of my watched it also and thought it was a horrendous movie also (one of them actually fell asleep). Going to watch World War Z tonight; hope it is much better... GPO
You like cloverfield, Godzilla and transformers over this movie? Interesting.......
post #56 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 08:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
DA DREAD wrote: View Post
Iron Man 3 was the worst one!!!!!!!!!!
I'm pretty much with you on that!
post #57 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 09:06 AM
gpo
Shackster
gpo

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
You like cloverfield, Godzilla and transformers over this movie? Interesting.......
Yes, well in my opinion: transformers are better and more fun movies to watch.... Cloverfield was also a great ride; incredibly involving feeling like the world is torn apart... Pacific Rim wasn't even near this whole feeling.

I was really eager to watch Pacific Rim after hearing good things about it and I like big things that explode & are crashing and stuff like that, but there was almost no moment in the movie that I thought it was worth watching... despite that I watched the whole movie to give it a chance...

Of course this is all taste, there are also thousands of people disliking big blockbusters as Transformers, Cloverfield, LoTR....

GPO
post #58 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 09:18 AM
Shackster

My System
Transformers is DOPE especially 2 & 3......I'm 43 I grew up on the original cartoon....they did a great job on Transformers! !!!!
post #59 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 09:19 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
Quote:
gpo wrote: View Post
Yes, well in my opinion: transformers are better and more fun movies to watch.... Cloverfield was also a great ride; incredibly involving feeling like the world is torn apart... Pacific Rim wasn't even near this whole feeling. I was really eager to watch Pacific Rim after hearing good things about it and I like big things that explode & are crashing and stuff like that, but there was almost no moment in the movie that I thought it was worth watching... despite that I watched the whole movie to give it a chance... Of course this is all taste, there are also thousands of people disliking big blockbusters as Transformers, Cloverfield, LoTR.... GPO
Fair enough. I'm one of those people that dislike some of those movies you stated and your probably thinking "how can this guy like pacific rim and not transformers!" Lol. Sometimes it's just a matter of the mood we are in when we watch a movie. Plain and simple. Sometimes the actors in the movie irritate us so much that we can't get passed it( Shia LaBeouf). Other times the fact that there isn't any real famous actors or "A" list actors leads us to have low expectations and then we are surprised when we see it and for me pacific rim was the latter. I wasn't expecting it to be a phenomenal movie as far as acting is concerned and I think that made all the difference in the world for me as to why I enjoyed it so much. Thanks for your input gpo.
post #60 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 09:24 AM
gpo
Shackster
gpo

Quote:
Mike0206 wrote: View Post
Fair enough. I'm one of those people that dislike some of those movies you stated and your probably thinking "how can this guy like pacific rim and not transformers!" Lol. Sometimes it's just a matter of the mood we are in when we watch a movie. Plain and simple. Sometimes the actors in the movie irritate us so much that we can't get passed it( Shia LaBeouf). Other times the fact that there isn't any real famous actors or "A" list actors gives us with low expectations and then we are surprised when we see it and for me pacific rim was the latter. I wasn't expecting it to be a phenomenal movie as far as acting is concerned and I think that made all the difference in the world for me as to why I enjoyed it so much. Thanks for your input gpo.
No problem at all. If everybody would like the same thing, then it would get a bit boring on this world....

GPO