Pacific Rim - Blu-ray Review - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 85 Old 10-19-13, 10:08 AM
Senior Shackster

Rich

As stated before people even love this movie or hate it. Not many in the middle on this movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 10-21-13, 08:29 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Pacific Rim - Blu-ray Review

Quote:
Greenster wrote: View Post
As stated before people even love this movie or hate it. Not many in the middle on this movie.
Sorry man. I don't want to call you wrong or anything but...

I watched the 2D version last night. Picture quality is outstanding and the surrounds were put to good use. I thought this flic would have a hot bass track In keeping with the nature of the film but I ended up having to turn up the bass. I liked this film but I like the Transformer series better. I was somehow disappointed with this film and I'm glad I didn't pay to watch it in the theater. Maybe a 2nd go around will change my outlook of it. I may be the only person on this thread to have a luke warm reception of it. *shrugs* It is what it is.
post #63 of 85 Old 10-21-13, 08:59 AM
Shackster

John

My System

I watched it Saturday night and liked it for it what it was, a "popcorn" movie. Reminded me of the Godzilla matinnee's when I was a kid. The theater I would go to wouldn't dim the house lights all the way, pocorn throwing, talking....just silly fun.
On a sad note, the explosion at the end blew my Velodyne sub. The foam surround had deteriorated and finally gave. I ordered a new foam surround repair kit...hope it's not that hard to fix.
post #64 of 85 Old 10-21-13, 09:41 AM
Senior Shackster

Muad' Dib

My System

If there was a movie I wanted my subs to die at the end of Pacific Rim would be on a short list.

That would probably include:

War of the Worlds (2005)
LOTR: Return of the King

"Fear is the mind killer..."

-- Paul Atreides
post #65 of 85 Old 10-21-13, 09:50 AM
Senior Shackster

Mike

My System
I watched it last night in 2D and I absolutely loved it! I'm sorry but after everyone was talking about the acting being bad and me seeing it this time around, I did not see that to be the case. There was a lot of good acting moments in the movie and if anything the chemistry between mako and the Marshall was spot on IMO. Then the scene where she is a little girl remembering what happened to her was IMO a phenomenal acting job by that little girl! It was intense. I loved it in theaters and had some friends over to watch it, some whoa had seen it before and some who hadn't. The ones who had seen it before enjoyed it more this time around as did I and the ones who hadn't seen it before were in awe! The 1.85:1 aspect ratio helped a lot in the visuals as well since the scenes weren't too narrow so you could see the action without squinting.

Edit: squinting because 2.35 on a 55" is kind of tight.
post #66 of 85 Old 10-22-13, 08:57 AM
Senior Shackster

Scott

My System

Should have seen this in the theaters w/my son.

Bought it the other day, glad I did! Really enjoyed it in the media room.

Not as cheesy as I though it would be. Thin plot and development but that did not distract from the overall Sci-Fi enjoyment; especially for my 9yr old!

A must have addition to the Sci-Fi library

I would have written less but I didn't have the time.
post #67 of 85 Old 10-22-13, 03:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Ray

My System
Send a message via Yahoo to cavchameleon

Mike,

Thanks again for the great review. We finally saw Pacific Rim. It was enjoyable for entertainment sake but not the best. The Audio and Video are 5 stars. Acting was good. But, the story line we found a bit weak compared to the likes of Star Trek and others. Still, enjoyed.

Ray

Happy Listening!!! Listen with an open mind and heart!!!
post #68 of 85 Old 10-23-13, 07:26 AM
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
mpompey wrote: View Post
If there was a movie I wanted my subs to die at the end of Pacific Rim would be on a short list.

That would probably include:

War of the Worlds (2005)
LOTR: Return of the King
I did not find Pacific Rim all that hot for bass. I had to dial it up to get it to a level which I would have expected it to be. Battleship had far better bass then PR. War of The Worlds..most definately
post #69 of 85 Old 10-23-13, 10:06 AM
Senior Shackster

[QUOTE="Fatshaft;645157"]at reference level with my 4x 21's and 4x 18's at +12DB hot on the subs! /QUOTE]

I watched it on bro-in-law system with a Mirage 100W 2x 6" sub in a 800ft3 room. And it pounded. Can't wait to hear it on my system. Can't imagine hearing it on Fatshaft's.

My kids are fascinated with Power Rangers. When my wife popped her head in the room 3/4 through Pacific Rim and asked "How is it?" I said "This is what Power Rangers would be like if Power Rangers weren't bad"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
People think I'm strange, does it make me a stranger?
post #70 of 85 Old 10-23-13, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

I think this summed it up nicely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupWq...ature=youtu.be