Turbo – Blu-ray Review

Title: Turbo

Movie:
Video:
Audio:
Extras:

HTS Overall Score:91

Summary
Pixar is the gold standard of CG animated movie studios. After all, they gave birth to the CG revolution and have delivered an absolutely outstanding catalog of movies. DreamWorks Animation, on the other hand, can’t claim the same lifetime record of success. They first hit the scene in 1998 and put forth several freshman efforts, such as Antz and Road to El Dorado, that received justifiably lukewarm receptions. Then came along Shrek, DreamWork’s 2001 game changer, and the studio hit pay dirt. They have since released a string of exceedingly popular films including Madagascar (2005), Kung Fu Panda (2008), Monsters vs Aliens (2009), How to Train Your Dragon (2010), Megamind (2010), and The Croods (2013). What makes these films, and other CG animated films, so popular is a wide reaching appeal as family entertainment. Their graphics dazzle, unlocking the imagination with rich fantasy worlds that smash the limits of reality. Storyline material is typically original, and most (if not all) give audiences a range of humor that can tickle the fancy of young and old alike (which is perfect for adults nearly drowned by child-humor from typical children’s entertainment).

That brings us to Turbo, DreamWorks’ recent energetic release featuring a stubborn snail named Theo (voice: Ryan Reynolds) daring to dream the impossible dream. It’s a new spin on the “Little Engine that Could,” where the underdog tries to beat all odds.

Theo is a dreamer. He spends his days going to work in a tomato patch (amusingly called “The Plant") of a suburban L.A. home and his nights alone on a garage work bench watching his inspirational hero, Guy Gagné (Bill Hader), race Formula One cars on television. Theo desperately wants to be different. He wants to be a racer; blindingly fast and reaching for greatness. His reality, though, is that of a mind-numbingly slow snail mocked as detached and silly by friends and family.

One night Theo leaves his home and stumbles upon two souped-up street racing cars preparing to battle. In his excitement, Theo falls onto the hood of one of the cars and gets pulled into the engine, rattled around, supercharged with an injection of nitrous oxide, and blown from the tail pipe. The nitrous changes his very molecular being and, voila, Theo becomes “Turbo” the rocket-fast snail.

The next day Theo and his brother Chet (Paul Giamatti) are captured by a closet snail racing Taco Truck owner named Tito (Michael Peña) who quickly realizes Theo is something special. After failing to convince his brother and business partner that Theo can be used to attract new customers, Tito hauls Theo from California to Indianapolis to enter the Indy 500. Of course the notion of a snail racing in the Indy 500 is silly, but this is where the magic of animated movies comes to play. A snail racing Forumla One becomes the possible! Theo and his hero Guy (who isn’t nearly as nice in person) come face to face in a thunderous race and the little snail attempts to pry his way into the hearts of millions.

Of course there is much more to the movie. Turbo features an entire cast of cute and cuddly snails, some with voices (Samuel L. Jackson, Snoop Dogg, Maya Rudolph) that are sure to sound familiar. There’s also a gaggle of amusing and extroverted shop owners that team-up with Tito to get Theo to Indy. The animations and anthropomorphic movements performed by the snails are charming and enjoyable to watch. And then there is the action...loads of action...that keeps the film moving forward at light speed.

Despite the curiosity of introducing a snail as a racer, the movie suffers from an absence of absolute originality. There are simply too many elements borrowed from other movies. First there is the bug torturing child character (Bike Boy). Think “Sid” from Toy Story. Then there is an area of shops that needs an injection of customers to be saved from financial doom. Think “Radiator Springs” from Cars. And of course Theo’s gaggle of escargot racing friends have similar parallels to Nemo’s fish tank friends in Finding Nemo. If you watch Turbo, you’ll undoubtedly find other glaring parallels that slightly tarnish its zesty luster.

Despite those issues, the film’s screenplay is fairly solid and remains entertaining from start to finish. It definitely conveys a sporting sense of competitiveness where the underdog is unwilling to tap-out. It’s not surprising to learn that one of the three writers in the mix was Robert Siegel (The Wrestler). Children will absolutely love Turbo. It’s almost certain to be a guaranteed hit in their eyes. The characters are totally endearing and the on-the-screen action is simply superb. If nothing else, Turbo should prove to be a fun evening of family entertainment in most any home. Collectors will likely want a copy of Turbo on hand because of its plethora of demo-worthy moments.

Rating:
PG for mild action and thematic elements.

Video
Turbo is a dreamland of amazing colors displayed in absolutely stunning fashion and DreamWorks’ MPEG-4 AVC transfer leaves nothing to be desired. It is truly picture perfect. Every color – oranges, reds, purples, even glowing turquoise – dance on the screen creating a delectable feast for the eyes. The most exacting of details including the minutia of surface textures (the prickly stems on a tomato plant, the fine ridges on Theo’s shell, and the scaly nature of Gagné’s racing uniform) are simply amazing and are on full razor-sharp display. The presentation is completely devoid of blocking, compression, or jagged lines and jitter. Shadow detail is astonishing and background lighting is perfectly executed.

Watching Turbo is akin to staring through a window into a beautiful animated world and the added cinemascope width is a major benefit for projector-based systems. It’s as close to perfect as I’ve ever seen on my screen. Breathtaking.

Audio
Not to be out done by a smashing video presentation, DreamWorks pulls a “Triple Lindy” and drops the hammer with a phenomenal HD-DTS MA 7.1 soundtrack. The film starts with a roar as Formula One race cars whizz through the soundstage and roar to the rear channels...and it never let’s up. Loaded with pinpoint directionality and loads of rear channel activity, Turbo is a veritable sonic explosion. A deep, rich, warmth is the hallmark of Turbo’s presentation. Dialog is thick and inviting and beautifully elevates to mid-screen; it moves to right and left channels, following camera pans. The front sound stage explodes with dynamic sounds associated with on-the-screen action and has amazing width and depth due to award winning composer Henry Jackman’s (Wreck-It Ralph, G.I. Joe Retaliation, Monsters vs Aliens) pulsating original score. This all goes without mentioning loads of LFE associated with roaring engines and sweeping sound effects. Never thin or harsh, Turbo’s audio presentation boldly challenges it’s visual presentation for supremacy leading to a photo finish. Wow. It’s A-plus material and will surely be the source of many demo-moments in home theaters for a good long while.

Extras:
• Champion's Corner
• Smoove Move's Music Maker
• Team Turbo: Tricked Out
• Meet Tito: Deleted Scene
• The Race: Storyboard Sequence
• Be An Artist
• Shell Creator
Turbo Theatrical Trailer
• Sneak Peek
• World of DreamWorks Animation

Overall:
Turbo is a slick and fast moving entertainment fest. It falters a bit because quite a few story elements feel like reruns of other popular animated movies. But don’t let that stop you from giving this film a spin. It’s a fun and lighthearted affair that seemingly flies by with nonstop action and quite a bit of amusing humor. Turbo’s audio and visual presentations are just about as perfect as perfect can be. The 2.35:1 HD presentation is a rich feast for the eyes while the 7.1 DTS-HD MA track is an enveloping explosion of sonic bliss. This film is a recommended watch for family entertainment – kids will undoubtedly enjoy it. Audio and videophiles will absolutely drool over Turbo’s visual and auditory offerings...and they will probably derive entertainment from its storyline, too.

Additional Information:
Starring: Ryan Reynolds, Paul Giamatti, Maya Rudolph
Directed by: David Soren
Written by: Darren Lemke, Robert D. Siegel, David Soren
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Audio: English: DTS-HD MA 7.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1, Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1, Russian DTS 5.1, Estonian Dolby Digital 5.1, Thai Dolby Digital 5.1, Arabic Dolby Digital 5.1, Latvian Dolby Digital 5.1, Lithuanian Dolby Digital 5.1, and Ukrainian Dolby Digital 5.1.
Studio: DreamWorks
Rated: PG
Runtime: 96 minutes
Blu-Ray Release Date: November 12, 2013

Buy Turbo on Blu-ray at Amazon

Recommendation: Watch It
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-13, 10:44 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System
Re: Turbo – Blu-ray Review

I'm with you on this one Todd. it lacked some orginality , but it was still sweet and the wife ate it up like chocolate on a bad day
post #3 of 12 Old 11-14-13, 10:49 AM
Elite Shackster

Jon

My System

Thanks for the review, Todd! I definitely want to check this one out. I actually wanted to see it in theaters, but my outings to the theaters are slim pickings and this one didn't make the cut at the time. I will likely pick this one up as it is something my daughters can enjoy as much as I would.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
post #4 of 12 Old 11-14-13, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Quote:
Jon Liu wrote: View Post
Thanks for the review, Todd! I definitely want to check this one out. I actually wanted to see it in theaters, but my outings to the theaters are slim pickings and this one didn't make the cut at the time. I will likely pick this one up as it is something my daughters can enjoy as much as I would.
You'll enjoy it, Jon. The audio and video are simply amazing...
post #5 of 12 Old 11-14-13, 11:11 AM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System

Ive become so used to simply going out and buying these animated movies even without reading any reviews. For me the visuals and hearing my two daughters giggle and laugh when we watch them is priceless. You cant put a rating on that

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 12 Old 11-14-13, 12:32 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Thanks for the review Todd!

I am with Tony on this one - these animated movies have become a blind buy for me. Stunning visuals and audio for me - cute and simple for the kids.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-14-13, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
HTS Administrator
News Editor
Reviewer

Todd Anderson

My System

Thanks, Joe! This is an easy one to recommend and I guarantee its presentation will blow you away. It's quite a treat.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-14-13, 02:01 PM
Elite Shackster

We saw this movie over the summer time when it was in theaters. We enjoyed the movie. The visuals were amazing and the sound was superb. Worth having for sure.

Thanks for the review.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-30-13, 06:11 PM
Nec
Shackster

Thanks for the review, my kids will love it.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-30-13, 06:24 PM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System

This is one of the most positive reviews you have presented, which, makes me very excited to see this. It will be ordered momentarily, Thanks for the review.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"