Live Free or Die Hard - Blu-ray Review - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 17 Old 04-22-08, 02:52 PM
Senior Shackster

Zip

Re: Live Free or Die Hard on Blu-ray

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Watched this tonight and it was absolutely hands-down one of the best surround and sub-bass movies I've seen in quite some time. Transformers was good... LFDH was great! If you want a movie to show off the audio of your HT system, look no further... this is it! Awesome...
For sure this is one of the best movies for sound I've heard in a long time. I must have watched the scene on the bridge with the jet 20 times. Deep bass galore! I rented this but will probably end up buying it to show off my home theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 05-25-08, 04:57 PM
Elite Shackster

Ahmed

Send a message via MSN to Blaser

I bought it on BD. I love the end and the collapsing bridge sound effects That reminds me how strong my subs are

I am surprised other forums gave the video 5/5.

ASME AI
Yamaha RX-V2500, Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 Fronts, Wharfedale Diamond CM Center, Diamond DFS Surround and rear, Behringer FBQ 2496, Dual RL-P18s 625L LLTs, Dual TA-2400 Pro (2 * 2000 W Amp), Samsung HD870 DVD player, Carada BW 16:9 106" screen, Epson TW-2000, 60 Gb PS3
Important HT proverbs:
- "You can never have too much headroom" (talking about bass)
- "you can never have too big a screen" (talking about still pictures)

Projector selection basics
Epson TW 2000 review
post #13 of 17 Old 08-04-08, 02:37 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

I'm in the camp where I was disappointed.

Basically the story was the same... misdirection in order to pull off a robbery. As much as I hated the second installment of this franchise, at least it had a different story line.

Where I had problems was with the outrageous situations McClane was not only getting into, but miraculously getting out of. By the time he jumps on the airplane I was already out of my quota for 'suspending reality' and just enjoying a movie for what it is.

The same thing happened with the Lethal Weapon franchise. It started out kicking behind as a pure action flick, and then descended into almost a parody of itself by the end.

But hey... if in Die Hard 2 McClane can have nine grenades lobbed into the cockpit of a military transport, and have enough time to strap himself into the pilot seat and hit the eject button before even one of the grenades go off... I guess he can jump on the wing of a fighter jet and wrestle it to the ground too!

The only real saving grace to me was Justin Long and Kevin Smith. Smith will forever be Silent Bob to me so I got a chuckle out of his 'command center'.

Wayde I agree... think McClane will wear a cape in the next one?

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #14 of 17 Old 07-12-11, 11:14 AM
Elite Shackster

Jack

My System
Re: Live Free or Die Hard -Blu-ray Review

Its been awhile since the last post in this particular forum, but I was late to the BR party. I have been watching this on SD DVD and it was very good but, nothing to add to this review.
Seeing it now, on BR with newer gear causes me to think a bit differently about this disc than many out there. Personally, I loved it. I would call it the second best in the series, I loved the character development between the leads, the cop and the hacker. Very well done. But again, that is me. The story was so over the top, it cannot be graded as to realism but then again neither can any of the action movies out there that stretch the laws of physics a bit.
Visually this is for me a solid 4.5 stars, there are aa few soft scenes but overall it is class B+ material. What does shine and accordingly causes me to go off the reviewer path a bit is the sound track. That my friends is a solid 5 star deal. There is nothing left to be desired when it comes to how full this disc is with details, from the incredible lows to through to the absolute high end and everything in between. It is brilliantly put together and rivals many of the newer movies out there with maybe the exception of Tron, that was blasts past 5 stars and goes to plaid. The surround track is always busy but not just with effects, but atmosphere as well. It follows on screen action to a "T".
I am a fool for these movies and I loved it. But then again I loved Battlefield Los Angeles so take my opinions in that vein.

Good Listening

Jack

"For those who believe no proof is needed for those who don't believe no proof is possible"
post #15 of 17 Old 07-13-11, 07:54 AM

Yep... totally agree! I'm anxious to watch it again myself.
post #16 of 17 Old 08-31-11, 11:32 PM
Shackster
Steve

Great movie! A must for a collection!
post #17 of 17 Old 10-06-11, 05:44 PM
Shackster

I know that Die Hard is a classic but I liked Live Free or Die Hard for what it was. Perhaps it's just because I enjoy Justin Long's role and humor conflicting with McLane.