Still bowed picture on Philips 55pp9352 after replacing ICs - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Philips / Magnavox
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 5821 - Replies: 10  
Old 01-04-10, 11:57 PM   #1
Shackster

Serg
Since: Jan 2010
San Diego
I started this thread.
Still bowed picture on Philips 55pp9352 after replacing ICs

The red on my Philips projection TV went out of whack a few weeks back and I was able to diagnose my problem using great websites such as this one. The symptoms pointed to blown IC's (color dealignment, bowed picture, manual convergence menu not working) so I ordered the replacement parts from the tvrepairkits website (they said they were the Sanyo chips). I got the kit and replaced both IC's as well as all 12 resistors with some pretty clean soldering and it took care of the red convergence issue but I still have bowing from the top and bottom of my screen and in the multipoint convergence menu. Any ideas? I did some solid work on it and I think I'm close so its gonna kill me if I have to give in and pay the $350 repair bill at this point. Thanks in advance to you helpful folks out there.

Name:  TV Bowed.jpg
Views: 2836
Size:  126.2 KB

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-10, 12:04 AM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: Still bowed picture on Philips 55pp9352 after replacing ICs

Your thread was moved to the Philips forum to maintain organization and to make information easier to find in the future.

Can you adjust it?

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 01-05-10, 12:10 AM   #3
Shackster

Serg
San Diego
I started this thread.

I've adjusted the multipoint convergence but I can't find how to adjust the geometrical settings on my set. I checked some of the links in the "Helpful Links" thread but it only says that the geometrical settings can be adjusted manually by setting jumpers inside the unit but I don't know where to find them or how to adjust them. Looked through all of my manuals and online resources but I can't seem to find how to adjust.

Old 01-05-10, 12:26 AM   #4
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

I am not aware of any jumpers in this unit. Everything should be done from the service mode, and I think you have to use the convergence adjustments to affect the geometry in this one. I would suggest having the correct service manual and going by that rather than more generic information you may find online.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.

Old 01-05-10, 06:08 PM   #5
Shackster

Serg
San Diego
I started this thread.

Ok I accessed the SAM (Service Adjustment Mode) menu and was able to follow the service guide to set the geometrical settings to the defaults. The picture is improved but there's still definitely a bowing effect with the default numerical values from the service guide. I've tried adjusting the values to see if I can get the picture aligned and centered with something other than the default values but I can't get the picture completely straight. Also noteworthy, I don't seem to notice much happening when I adjust the "E-W Trap" setting, not sure if that's the missing link or if there's something wrong with that component.

Here's what I put in for the geometrical settings:

Name:  Philips Geom. Values.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  27.0 KB

Old 01-05-10, 06:13 PM   #6
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

There may be a problem in the pincushion circuit, but IIRC most of the correction you can do in these was in the convergence mode. You have to adjust the green to a proper grid then the red and blue to match. If you can use the geometry controls just get as much out of them as possible then do the rest in convergence. As I recall the geometry adjustment in some of these philips sets were very restricted or did not work at all. I believe that the added the digital convergence and then relied on that in some sets and eliminated some of the geometry control in the VCJ.

Old 01-05-10, 06:38 PM   #7
Shackster

Serg
San Diego
I started this thread.

Ok, great advice so far by the way, thank you very much. I accessed the service convergence menu's and got to the green alignment grid and I think I'm on to the problem. The left/right adjustment works in the green convergence but the up/down doesn't. Does this mean I need to replace another chip? Thanks!

Old 01-05-10, 06:42 PM   #8
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

It means that you missed something or you have a bad chip or both.

Old 01-05-10, 06:52 PM   #9
Shackster

Serg
San Diego
I started this thread.

Ok, so next step would be to check the soldering work on the ICs I replaced then? If it all looks good does that mean I meed to replace them again?

Old 01-05-10, 06:59 PM   #10
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

Read the convergence repair thread very carefully. Always check the resistors with the chips out of circuit, check the supplies to the chips, and check your solder work and connections very carefully.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Philips / Magnavox »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »