Pioneer SD-643HD5 Convergence Chips and Chassis Number - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Pioneer
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 6776 - Replies: 17  
Old 11-25-09, 01:06 AM   #1
Shackster

Sherif
Since: Nov 2009
I started this thread.
Pioneer SD-643HD5 Convergence Chips and Chassis Number

lcaillo, THANK YOU for all the great and courteous information.

Looking at many of the posts here, I believe my Pioneer SD-643HD5 needs new Convergence IC chips. I would like to purchase the Hitachi kits you mention in your "CRT based RPTV Convergence Repairs" thread. However, I cannot locate the chassis # on my set. If I'm reading your post right, chassis #'s have DPXXX. I cannot find any numbers that begin with DP. The serial # sticker only has the S/N, model, and the following: KUXC/CA1. The back panel also has ANC2339 printed on the corner of the panel. There are no stickers or placards inside the cabinet. Can you please help me locate the chassis #?

Also, my IC's are STK392-180. The parts distributor I called said my set is supposed to have -110's in it. Your thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help...

Last edited by ssmorsi; 11-25-09 at 01:19 AM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-09, 07:27 AM   #2
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Since: May 2006
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: Convergence IC equivalents

Please do not duplicate your posts. Your duplicate was deleted.

Your set is a Pioneer. The kits listed by chassis number are for Hitachi sets only. You can use the chips from them in some other sets, but the kits are specific to Hitachi. I do not recall which IC your model had specified in the original production, but Pioneer moved to replacing all STK392-110 chips with the -180 at some point. If your set was serviced, or if it had the change in production, it is the apropriate part. What parts distributor did you talk to?

I have used the STK394-160 from the Hitachi kits in Pioneer models, but they are getting hard to find. I would just replace them with the -180 from a quality supplier like Acme or B&D. Be sure to follow the information in the convergence repair sticky and checkthe resistors and fuses.

Also, you should be aware that Pioneer sets are notorious for bad solder connections throughout, and simply moving boards around can break a weak joint. Your immediate problem may relate to that as well. We rarely service them that we don't start with resoldering hundreds of connections before bothering to troubleshoot them.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Leonard Caillouet MS, CET, MST, ISF

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.
http://www.theprosquad.com/index2.aspx

Old 11-25-09, 02:38 PM   #3
Shackster

Sherif
I started this thread.
Re: Convergence IC equivalents

Sorry for the duplicate post. After posting the first one, I thought it would be appropriate to start e new one...

As for the kits, I misunderstood. I thought Hitachi made kits for other brands as well...

I was going to buy from Andrews since they are local but they list it as being manufactured by Panasonic. What's your take??

Some of the online retailers you recommend sell the 180's made by Sanyo while others have Pioneer. Would either one work for my Pioneer set?

Thanks for your help...

Last edited by ssmorsi; 11-25-09 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-25-09, 03:06 PM   #4
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA
Re: Pioneer SD-643HD5 Convergence Chips and Chassis Number

All of the STK series chips were made by Sanyo, but have been counterfeited and perhaps some second rate parts have been distributed. You are pretty safe buying the parts under a TV manufacturer's part number, but you will likely pay more than buying it directly from someone like ACME or B&D. Andrews is a very good, reputable supplier and is one of the few that I recommend.

"I attribute the little I know to my not having been ashamed to ask for information, and to my rule of conversing with all descriptions of men on those topics that form their own peculiar professions and pursuits." John Locke

Need Electronic Repairs? Look to these guys first. The Pro Squad are some of the most experienced and reputable servicers anywhere.

Old 11-27-09, 01:46 PM   #5
Shackster

Sherif
I started this thread.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving...

Before I go any further, I would like to confirm that my problem is in fact most likely caused by a bad convergence IC. Here are some pix...

If the problem is in fact the convergence IC's, I have two options: Purchase the two IC's for $50/ea plus all the materials including resistors, multimeter, a soldering iron, solder, wick, etc for a total of about $175. Or I can buy the entire convergence assembly from Pioneer for $288. Now, I have never soldered any electronics before but I'm confident I can do it successfully. If I buy the entire assembly, I wouldn't have to worry about testing the resistors or bridging any connections by accident.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by ssmorsi; 11-27-09 at 07:18 PM..

Old 11-28-09, 07:19 AM   #6
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

You should be able to find convergence ICs for less than half that price from the very best vendors.

I rarely recommend replacing boards. The cost of the tools needes should not be so high. There are often problems associated with doing so that you don't anticipate. These are rather routine repairs. If you get a new board from Pioneer you will still need to resolder dozens of connections to be confident that it is reliable. I would recommend changing the chip and testing all related resistors. Be sure to resolder any connections with ring cracks, but be careful not to create any bridges between joints that don't belong.

Old 11-28-09, 03:55 PM   #7
Shackster

Sherif
I started this thread.

Thanks... How do I know that what I'm getting is a Genuine Sanyo IC? Will it be marked?

Old 11-28-09, 09:54 PM   #8
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

There is no way to be sure other than to buy them from a reliable source.

Old 11-28-09, 11:07 PM   #9
Shackster

Sherif
I started this thread.

Quote:
lcaillo wrote: View Post
You should be able to find convergence ICs for less than half that price from the very best vendors.
Can you help me find them for that much? Looking on the vendor's websites you recommend, these are the prices I found:

Encompass - $46 (Pioneer
Encompass - $25 (Japanese Semi's)
Andrew's - $51
Acme - Not available
B&D - $60
PacParts - $46
Electonica - $40 (Lowest Price I found...)

Of course I found them for $25 on eBay where they claim they are "Genuine Sanyo" but there is no way of trusting them...

Thanks again for all your help...

Old 11-29-09, 08:43 AM   #10
HTS Administrator

Tech Guru
Gainesville, FL, USA

You checked the places that I would. I have not bought these in a while and they appear to have gone up. Electronica in CO is a very good vendor, but make sure it is not Electronix. I would get them from Electronica if they have the best price.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Service | Support > Brand Specific Service Forums > Pioneer »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »