Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Q18 Dual Sono Build

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Bill 3 
#1 · (Edited)
Dual Q18's in 700l Sonotubes tuned to 12.8Hz 30" Sonotubes cut to 67" and 8.4" ports cut to 31.25".

Well, it all started innocently enough. I found that moving my living room HT stuff to a more dedicated basement HT enviroment lost a lot of bass. Research brought me here. I enjoy doing DIY and find the results rewarding (usually). The LLT write-up caught my attention (D@mn you Steve Callas :bigsmile:). So, I decided I had space to go big and started researching drivers. End result was that I decided that the FiCarAudio Q18 would give me the most bang for the buck for what my requirements/limitations were. AND well, since I could only aquire a 12' section of sonotube, why not build two???:T

Let me stop here and thank Mattlock for being the one who I gained real world experience from. Also, many thanks for all of you who have posted in my noobie questions threads.

My thought that the cost of adding a second wouldn't be all that much in materials, well, it all adds up - especially with 30" tubes.

Some starting pics

Be back with more soon.
Bill

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I can't say that I recall hearing or feeling bass like this anywhere, even in the theater (but I don't get out much). It just seems like it's effortless. Even in music where there isn't a lot of deep bass, it is just THERE, but not ovewhelming. I haven't watched much movie wise, but tried Master and Commander and it is definately OVERWHELMING, I mean just plain AWESOME:scared::hide::yay:

I am now FIGHTING with Audyssey and room responses. Listening positions and on and on. Concrete floors and some half and full concrete walls and framed walls. Need to bend some ears in the REW forum when I get a chance.

#7 ·
I didn't get pics of the final cutting of the tubes or my "doughnuts" I made for the internal port end flare. Only 3/4" roundover inside and out, but I figure better than nothing. I finally got the subs in place and as you can see, I am in the process of playing with the BFD and I desperately need to get my component/storage cabinet made that will go under the screen and between my two main speakers and hold my center.

By the way, I am still playing/tweaking.

Attachments

#11 ·
Ya I did the fan mod in the EP2500. I wanted to make sure it worked before swapping in the quieter fan, and it only took one day. (I already had ordered and recieved the fan). With the placement of my equipment being in the front of the room and not in a closet or hidden away somewhere, I knew I would want to quiet it down. Big difference. Now if I can make some time to work on the cabinet to hide those lights and make my screen area less distracting. Looks terrible with that suff just laying around....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.