Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 x2 sonosubs build thread - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Ported Subwoofer Build Projects
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 5022 - Replies: 20  
Old 09-06-08, 02:47 AM   #1
Senior Shackster

Sam
Since: Dec 2007
Brisbane, Qld, Aust
I started this thread.
Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 x2 sonosubs build thread

Finally I had chance to complete my two, 365ltr 15hz sonosubs...

Ports arrived first ($62 each ColloPort-6" sourced from affordabledrivers.com.au [of course] - specifically tuned for the IXL18s at 15hz in 365ltrs). Truly beautiful to behold.
Name:  RIMG0038.JPG
Views: 1396
Size:  72.2 KB

Then I got to work measuring and cutting the end caps (MDF 3x sheets from memory [check your measurements first!] of 18mm MDF sourced from Bunnings ~$100 total including lag bolts to attached the IXL18s to the enclosure and wood screws to attach the legs)
Name:  RIMG0037.JPG
Views: 1390
Size:  65.7 KB

Don't try doing this (=bad!)
Name:  RIMG0049.JPG
Views: 1385
Size:  72.5 KB

Next door neighbour kindly purchased a router and bits so I could borrow them! I whipped up an El cheapo jig out of some 4mm MDF
Name:  RIMG0376.JPG
Views: 1415
Size:  85.6 KB

Then the sonotube arrived courtesy of neighbour's truck (~$210 sourced from Bowers & Lever). My daughter did not drive (it's illegal).
Tip - wait until the sonotube arrives before cutting endcaps - I used a dressmaker's tape to measure the endcaps and the tape was slightly out (1mm too small!). So I ended up having to cut a few more circles. Thankfully the glue I used expands (foams) to fill the gaps. Afterwards I used filler around the inside of the enclosure joints to seal any leaks.
Name:  220608001.JPG
Views: 1375
Size:  94.9 KB

I got to work gluing (Selleys Aquadhere from Bunnings - ~$25-$35 from memory)
Name:  RIMG0594.JPG
Views: 1384
Size:  96.9 KB

Don't forget to remove the protection film before gluing in endcaps
Name:  RIMG0626.JPG
Views: 1373
Size:  84.0 KB

Bottom on (IXL-18 from Affordable Drivers [naturally] - $304 including delivery)
Name:  RIMG0273.JPG
Views: 1468
Size:  71.2 KB

Top on (MDF with floor vinyl stuck on with contact adhesive [Bunnings - $10 enough for vinyl for two subs. Repco for tin of adhesive - $16]). Port glued in with Araldite epoxy resin (Bunnings, ~$18 x 2 packs) and supported internally with small blocks of MDF glued between the edge of the end cap and the port (at the top near the opening).
Name:  RIMG0276.JPG
Views: 1442
Size:  71.0 KB

Grill cover (Jaycar metal grills - $9 each, cut out to improve airflow, covered with speaker cloth, glued to plastic surround with contact cement adhesive) - not securely attached to endcap yet.
Name:  RIMG0277.JPG
Views: 1383
Size:  73.6 KB

Splash of tyre black (it was sitting around here) at the top and bottom to blend with the black fur covering (fur sourced from Spotlight - $47 enough to cover two subs - just! Glued on with contact cement). Note, tube and endcaps were primed inside and out due to extremely humid environment here in Queensland - I want these babies to last forever!
Name:  RIMG0274.JPG
Views: 1350
Size:  57.8 KB

The finished article (sorry for the blurry picture).
Name:  RIMG0279.JPG
Views: 1414
Size:  24.7 KB

Closer up (note really cool fur effect top right - looks much better in real life - will try for better pictures)
Name:  RIMG0280.JPG
Views: 1405
Size:  25.9 KB

Legs from Bunnings - $7 each (yes it has four, not three)
Name:  RIMG0281.JPG
Views: 1351
Size:  27.7 KB

I'd post some REW response graphs but I'm at my limit for attachments - is there a way to post more photos/graphs? I haven't measured the pair anechoic but, after accounting for a huge room gain around 50hz (which I've EQed out - the acoustics are very average in the concrete bunker listening area I have here, unfortunately), they go pretty flat down to 16hz, then start to roll off slightly as they approach tuning. They sound fantastic, plenty of effortless grunt. Well worth the effort! Thank you everyone for all your help

HTPC -i5-2500k 3.3GHz|PowerDVD12 ultra,reclock|MPC-HC,ffshow,reclock|foobar,wasapi plugin|HD6970 ATI HDMI|DENON AVR-4311|B&W DM602 S3 x2 fronts|LCR600 S3 center|685 rears, heights & wides|DIY 2 x Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 sonosubs 365ltr 15hz|Behringer NU6000 sub amp|Optoma HD33 projector, DIY 100" blockout cloth screen

Last edited by Blueeyedfrog; 09-06-08 at 05:22 AM..

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-08, 07:14 AM   #2
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Since: Apr 2007
Chitek Lake, Sask.
Re: Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 x2 sonosubs build thread

Glad to see you got them done Sam! I can imagine the difference you experienced between the 12 inch Peerless and these 2 sonotubes! They bring new meaning to the term "effortless bass" don't they? As for attachment limits, it might have been the limit for one single post, I'm not sure. You should be able to continue on in another post. We would love to see the REW graphs.

Old 09-06-08, 12:00 PM   #3
Elite Shackster

thxgoon
Since: Feb 2007

Ya definitely post some REW graphs. Nice job on the build! I like the floor vinyl idea, looks sharp.

Old 09-10-08, 06:44 PM   #4
myn
Senior Shackster

myn
Since: Sep 2006

Nice work

Old 09-11-08, 02:14 PM   #5
Senior Shackster

dradius
Since: Sep 2008
Louisville

Looks great. I hope my tubes turn out half that nice looking.

Old 04-04-10, 01:03 AM   #6

Sam
Since: Aug 2007
Adelaide

Nice to see you getting your hands dirty Sam, there i was thinking you just sold me drivers to play with

Regards Sam

Old 04-05-10, 02:00 AM   #7
Senior Shackster

favelle
Since: Jan 2009
Victoria, BC Canada

Wow, looks awesome!! What is powering them?

Old 04-05-10, 08:44 AM   #8
Elite Shackster
Bronze Supporter

Glen
Since: Mar 2009
West Texas

Quote:
favelle wrote: View Post
Wow, looks awesome!! What is powering them?
His equipment list posted at the bottom has a behringer ep2500 along with a dsp1124 eq- considering a nice pair subs are we?

Old 12-20-10, 04:51 PM   #9
Senior Shackster

That Weirdo
Since: Dec 2010
Halifax, NS
My System

Did you use 20" sonotube for this? I'm building my own 18" in a sonotube (limited space) and my measurements come up 370L for a six foot long sonotube 18" in diameter.

Old 12-21-10, 05:03 AM   #10
Senior Shackster

Sam
Since: Dec 2007
Brisbane, Qld, Aust
I started this thread.

24" x 1393mm

Sonosub free software should help you with calculations

HTPC -i5-2500k 3.3GHz|PowerDVD12 ultra,reclock|MPC-HC,ffshow,reclock|foobar,wasapi plugin|HD6970 ATI HDMI|DENON AVR-4311|B&W DM602 S3 x2 fronts|LCR600 S3 center|685 rears, heights & wides|DIY 2 x Mach 5 Audio IXL-18 sonosubs 365ltr 15hz|Behringer NU6000 sub amp|Optoma HD33 projector, DIY 100" blockout cloth screen

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Ported Subwoofer Build Projects »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »