IXL 18.2.2 - Project Build - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 29 Old 12-15-08, 06:21 PM
Shackster
Shank

Re: IXL 18.2.2 - Project Advice Sought

I've never had any luck cutting wood with a jigsaw and especially with 1inch mdf it will take ages. I've got myself a cheapie router (Ryobi) with a multipurpose jig(adjustable to cut up to 450mm circles) for $90 at Bunnings if u dont want to chance it with a jig..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 12-16-08, 11:06 AM
Sam

Its very late in melbourne...

I cant wait to hear your listening impressions Now that the drivers are back in stock im considering a twin enclosure of 250L right in the center of my HT room

Its good to see some sealed IXL 18 projects appearing
post #23 of 29 Old 12-31-08, 09:28 AM
myn
Senior Shackster
myn

So! Hows it sound?
post #24 of 29 Old 04-10-09, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
db_bloke

Finally I'm actually getting some time to build the speakers (again).
Due to just having a balcony and a bit of spare room at the top of my warehouse, progress has been hampered. Not least by dropping one piece of MDF about 5 feet onto it's corner. Annoying thing is, in OZ you can only get a whole 8'x4'sheet of 1" MDF. So it now turns out I'm making 2 of the beasts!
All the parts are here (2*18.2.2, BFD, ep2500), wood cut to size, just gotta cut out the 3 holes and glue together.

I had a go with dowells but this is how I managed to drop one of the pieces of wood, so after much reading of woodwork forums, I got the really tough PVA and just glued.
I only have 6 clamps, turns out I needed 8 for the job. I bet though if I had 8 I would have still needed some more. Anyhow, Glued it today and ended up using weight to hold down the sides after an initial bit of clamping. Here is the pic of progress on the first one. It's going to be soo much fun when I have 2 of these all eq'ed.

Last edited by db_bloke; 04-10-09 at 07:56 AM.
post #25 of 29 Old 04-15-09, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
db_bloke

Some Actual Advice Needed Again.

OK, it's almost done. I've also managed to cut out the other speaker and found six cheap clamps.

As you can see from the pic below, the front baffle and what will be the top (still open) will be glued in place, thus making it hard to ever get the thing open again. Also by putting the top on last, it's not going to be ideally sealed (I can't run sealent / plaster on the inside of the box).

The options I see as having are, somehow, glue the nut/washer onto the back of the baffle so the last thing I put in place is actually the speaker.
Or.. Put the speaker in etc and then glue the top on, if I then have to 'service' the box, I can still get at the speaker but it'll just be pretty tricky doing the bolts up again. Hopefully this won't happen.

The other issue I have is for the output leads. I don't want any holes in this box, but OK, I will have to get a couple for the wires. I'll need 2 10mm holes to run the 4 pieces of wire. Then I'll use a banana or connector block or solder on the other side. It's just if I put in another hole for a 4 way binding post arrangement (which is tricky in itself), I reckon it'll be hard to get that perfect seal. So just wondering if people jam wire through holes and then use caulk / sealant etc.

Ooh, also just thought, do you cover the leads in wool / bubble wrap / foam or something so that when the sub is running they don't flap about inside and slap the sides, I guess being sealed it's unlikely. Also, it I glue / silicone the leads out the back, if I ever have to remove the speaker, then do I need to somehow leave enough slack to at least get teh wire out. I guess you can tape / tie down somehow inside of the box.

The gasket on the speaker (big lump of rubber). Is this enough, or should I put something around the edge of the hole? Are high tensile bolts / washers & nuts the best way to go?

BTW, the edges of the box are all less than 1mm out. Was really handy getting the wood cut professionally. Quite happy about this, although will probably round-over the sides somehow, wondering how to do the the main baffle though without the box built...

If anyone can think of anything else before I seal it up / screw the speaker in then cheers.

TIA, db.

Last edited by db_bloke; 04-15-09 at 04:15 AM.
post #26 of 29 Old 04-16-09, 01:03 AM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Use foam weatherstriping tape to seal the sub to the cabinet.

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #27 of 29 Old 04-16-09, 10:56 PM
myn
Senior Shackster
myn

• 1/4-20 Hurricane Nuts (from PartsExpress) attached to the rear of the baffle and reinforced with gorilla glue.
  • 1/4-20 2" Socket Cap bolts from Micro Fasteners [great prices, cheap shipping] (Lowes and HD only sell short socket cap's <= 1.5")
post #28 of 29 Old 07-19-09, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
db_bloke

Fired one up - no police complaints yet, just some firemen!

After stuffing around for a bit, I ended up just purchasing parts from the US as per the last reply. It worked out cheaper in the end that going to the local hardware store and trying to do it on the cheap, ended up dearer and more time consuming. Just get hurricane nuts / screws (which are the perfect size).
Also I got fed up with wanting to know what they sounded like.... I managed to build the second one, only to have a small fire in my house and then the second sub got water damaged from the sprinkler system. I had everything completed apart from bolting the second driver in and connecting up the leads.

Anyhow, I hooked up the first one.
First of all, I suddenly realised without my AVR it would run full range and with the AVR only from 90hz down, for some reason I though that FBD did high pass filter. It doesn't (well I couldn't be bothered to work it out if i does, complicated bugger isn't it). So I got myself a DCX 2496, overkill yeah, but I felt like treating myself, and it's always handy if I feel like running an active system for fun. Took me about 5 minutes to set up.

So how does it sound? Well, my house is about 35m long by 35m wide and 15m high (converted warehouse). And after running in for a bit - I ran 10-20hz sweeps for 2 days or so at low volumes. I also tried running 8hz tones (until the cone started to bottom then turned back the volume a bit). The ep2500 got quiet warm after about 7 minutes then turned itself off with a pop from the speaker. bugger I thought, broken something..... Anyway, unplugged the amp for 20 seconds and then plugged back in and it was all good again.

I then plugged it into the main hifi / tv system downstairs. I've been to busy dealing with insurance people / living in a hotel etc of recent, but now I'm back again. Been trying to find some really nasty Blu Rays. Got WOTW DTS, the bit where the aliens come out of the sky at the start is interesting, the bass from this sub is really fast, very dynamic indeed. Also Night watch, there is some really loud deep crashes in that as well all through. A lot more tuneful bass than the effects in WOTW which are like being in a way too loud movie theatre. Edit - the scene with the tanks near the end is pretty impresive though.

Music.. Kick drum sounds excellent and so does SKA music. Yes, it's actually quite a tuneful sub, reasonably fast as well, certainly in my configuration without any stuffing but totally air tight I don't think I would want to change anything. I'm really pretty happy apart from perhaps some phase / time adjustments and I think some low end PEQ or moving around. I'm guessing a couple of holes in the response.

Even watching movies, I barely wind it past quarter volume - well perhaps once or twice I've had it to 10 o'clock to watch some of my all time fave blu rays (night watch, escape from new york).
I'm running the amp in stereo so really at about a third volume for films and a fifth volume for music. I can't wait to have 2 of the buggers for AV. Insurance company tells me that they will get a cabinetmaker to complete the second one for me - hope he does as good a job as I did. The second one was mm perfect all around.

Looks like I'll have to move, but hopefully one day I'll manage to get some REW measurements sorted out for you all here.
Perhaps because I have a huge room mostly made out of timber that it sounds so good, I noticed the acoustics first time I moved in here are pretty great. I can't fathom why other people with this sub say it's quiet...? I run one of them ATM with fifth (music) to third volume max (movies) and it's just right, any more and it's very much like the way too loud imax up the road. Yes, I've also set the thing up to almost clip / bottom with no EQ at all, just a 41hz 18db butterworth. It doesn't move the furniture but you can certainly feel it / thinnk - oh , the neighbours are probably banging at the door if only I could hear them.
There is a flat downstairs... The guy is an architect and he has apparantly (before the fire / flood damage) been soundproofing his ceiling. He has 3 layers of thich wool and 2 suspended ceilings. He is thinking of upgrading it on his insurance claim from my fire/flooding. Hoping to rent a nice detached place with a big workshop this time . Nobody has said anything yet, my neighbours are all too nice I reckon rather than it being too quiet. Perhaps the second one will get done before whilst I'm still here. See if that promotes any response. Thing is, you need like 120db main speakers to not be swamped with bass if playing music, and that's much louder than the rock venue down the road.
Hopefully will post some pics / REW as mentioned one day. Design seems totally fine to me though, pretty much what I was after.

Last edited by db_bloke; 07-19-09 at 12:09 PM.
post #29 of 29 Old 07-19-09, 01:09 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Thanks for the update, I was curious how the sub was going to perform in 110 liters sealed. Glad to hear you're happy with the sub.

We're all in this together!