Advice needed- Ported project to match Micca 5.0 set - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #1 of 22 Old 06-17-16, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Advice needed- Ported project to match Micca 5.0 set

Howdy all! I was tasked with putting together a surround system on a real budget for my father in law. I decided to go with the fabled Micca amazon speakers. Just cause I want to hear them vs my little Polk T15 bookshelf speakers. Picked up 2 sets of the bookshelf Miccas and one center. For the sub I decided DIY would be fun, and I have a spare BASH 300 in my closet of treasures. I googled up the HD-1200 CFS from CDT Audio, because it was a good visual match for the other speakers. I queried the tech staff for a home theater enclosure recommendation and the gave me a "4cu.ft. box with a 3" port that is 6.43" long".
Can someone tell me what tuning frequency that box/port will give me? Thanks!! I've included a link below the pic in case anybody wanted to look at the specs. On sale for $69.

http://www.cdtaudio.com/sep_componen.../hd1200cfs.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-17-16, 03:50 PM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System
Re: Advice needed- Ported project to match Micca 5.0 set

Quote:
jeffrobinson wrote: View Post
I googled up the HD-1200 CFS from CDT Audio, because it was a good visual match for the other speakers. I queried the tech staff for a home theater enclosure recommendation and the gave me a "4cu.ft. box with a 3" port that is 6.43" long".
I can't effectively model a subwoofer but I can tell you something doesn't sound right about that port info. A 4 ft^3 box with a port which isn't even 6.5" long sounds odd to me. If you have an enclosure that size it stands to the reason the port would be quite a bit longer.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 22 Old 06-17-16, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Yes, I was concerned too, they appear to be primarily a car audio maker. Wondering if that isn't a 30+hz for a car... I emailed back to tech support asking for the tuning, but no reply yet. Only been half a day, but it is Friday.....

post #4 of 22 Old 06-17-16, 10:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

According to WinISD the 3" wide x 6.43 long port in 4cuft is a 23.45hz tune. This may be fine but maybe not. Without T/S parameters it is hard to design a subwoofer at all. Without knowing Vd or how much air this driver can move we dont know if this port is large enough for this driver. If it is too small you will hear a lot of chuffing or air turbulence from the port being forced too much air for the port to handle.

So 23hz is probably just fine for a tune but this may also be too small of a box or too big. Also make sure you have a Hpass in place so you dont ruin the driver when playing notes that are lower than the port tune.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-20-16, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Thank you very much for that, kind sir!! If I may be super opportunistic, these are the driver specs. Have the time to check them? If it is of use, I plan to drive this the Parts Express version of the Bash 300 I picked up on sale last year.
Specifications
Cone Carbon Fiber
Diameter: 12 (250mm)
Sensitivity: 87.5 dB
Power Handling: 250 WRMS (500W Pk)
Frequency Response: 10 ~ 400 Hz
Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
Voice Coil Diameter: 1.95 (49.55mm)
Peak Xmax: 15mm
Magnet Weight: 50 Oz
HD-1200CFS 12 Subwoofer
Technical Data
Free Air Resonance: 28.4 Hz
Voice Coil DC Resistance: 3.93 Ohms
Voice Coil Inductance @ 1 kHz: 2.75 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms): 5.9
Electrical Q (Qes): 0.543
Total Q (Qts): 0.497
Compliance Volume (Vas): 84l; 2.96 ft3
Moving mass, Diaphragm: 138 Gr
Motor Force Factor: 13.35Tm
post #6 of 22 Old 06-22-16, 02:12 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Papi

So far the cabinet size looks fine. I have a 120l cabinet tuned to 25hz and it will take about 400watts to hit Xmax. It does need a hpass at 22hz though. Now the main problem with the design is that this will have audible port noise when pushing it to its limits.(Xmax)

With a 6" wide port you would need a 24.25" long port with 400watts you will hit about 34m/s. You want to stay around 20-25 if you can. Sometimes when in a car or outdoors you can get away with higher velocities. In a quiet setting like a home it is best to stay near 25m/s. So it is still a bit small but when not pushing the design to its limits you will be just fine with port velocity. 200watts is about 23m/s. BUT with a single 3" port and only 200watts you would be at 86m/s.

So ya bigger port is needed for sure.

"Music is the space between the notes"
[T]o talk well and eloquently is a very great art, but that an equally great one is to know the right moment to stop.
post #7 of 22 Old 06-22-16, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Thank You! That's a honkin' large port. Should look cool. Seems like I read that Bash had a hpf. I'll have to look that up again. Thank you again.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-22-16, 10:04 AM
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Jim

My System

Quote:
jeffrobinson wrote: View Post
Thank You! That's a honkin' large port.
Yup, and precisely why I raised a red flag previously; a 6" port seemed just too short to be of any use.
jeffrobinson likes this.

-Jim

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite
post #9 of 22 Old 06-23-16, 05:12 AM
Shackster

Toffkanda

I'm just wondering if the stated T/S parameters of this driver are to be believed, e.g frequency response 10-400 hz, Xmax 15mm (one way or peak to peak? ) given the image displayed in the first post. The magnet size and suspension look rather lean.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-23-16, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
jeffrobinson

Ya got me as to their honesty. Never heard of CDT, just did a google on carbon fiber subwoofers and this came back as a good visual match to the Micca's. Plus a $69 sale price. This chart was in their pdf of box options if means anything to you scientist types.
Attached Thumbnails
Advice needed- Ported project to match Micca 5.0 set-chart.jpg