RE XXX 15" Build (started) - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 62 Old 12-19-09, 04:43 PM
Banned!
Ryan

Re: RE XXX 15" Build (started)

youre running stereo 2 ohm right? I don't see why not to try bridged 4 ohm but I don't know that you will gain that much unless the phase is mistakenly reversed. it happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 12-19-09, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

I dont know whats up. I tried it bridged and jumped 4 ohm, but little or no difference. The woofer achieves full throw, but just doesnt seem like its doing much. When I turn it up toward max with gain at 80% or so it starts to clip. And at that point it sounds like its just getting going. I am hearing other distorted bands in with the sub.............maybe I need a filter on the input between the receiver and amp?
post #23 of 62 Old 12-19-09, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

Quote:
Ryan Anderson wrote: View Post
youre running stereo 2 ohm right? I don't see why not to try bridged 4 ohm but I don't know that you will gain that much unless the phase is mistakenly reversed. it happens
Yeah and I was running 2 ohm stereo. I am so new at this its hard to have a baseline as to what exactly to expect, which makes achieving an end doubly difficult.
post #24 of 62 Old 12-19-09, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

So alittle more back story. This is a remanned sub that travelled from NJ to Dallas, TX in an unpacked box. I put the pig upstairs in familiar audible surroundings and I am pretty sure there is something wrong with it. I had it down in the shop and couldnt hear everything going on, but this thing has a rattle and crackle in it. And frankly it barely rattles anything around it at the wall. My 500 watt cerwin vega was twice what this is.

Or, its an input issue. Again not being all that familiar with what I am doing........I have the EP4000 hooked up with XLR connections back to the sub pre out on the back of my receiver. Dont know what to do other than that.
post #25 of 62 Old 12-19-09, 10:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

You said that you have the 30hz filter on. Try turning that off (don't remember which way it went). That is probably why your not hearing much. What are you listening to? Try sampling a 50hz tone, then a 10hz tone. Is there a lot of excursion in free air on the 10hz tone? If not, then you probably have the EP4000 filtering out everything below 30hz.

Build log:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #26 of 62 Old 12-19-09, 10:35 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

Sounds like there may be something wrong with the driver.

Also do your wiring like this. Wire the coils in series.
One short wire jumping from - of one terminal to the + of the other. Then run the wire to the amp at the unused positive of one terminal and the unused negative of the other voice coil. Then bridge the amp. Make sure that the 30hz hpf is OFF. Also make sure that the 30hz bass boost or whatever is off too. I've read that the EP2500/4000 it can be easy to make a mistake with a single dip switch on the back and throw things off.

You do have the sub in the enclosure when listening to it right? (I know dumb question but I gotta ask). Do you have any air leaks?
post #27 of 62 Old 12-20-09, 06:15 PM
Elite Shackster

Quote:
sub_junkie wrote: View Post
You said that you have the 30hz filter on. Try turning that off (don't remember which way it went). That is probably why your not hearing much. What are you listening to? Try sampling a 50hz tone, then a 10hz tone. Is there a lot of excursion in free air on the 10hz tone? If not, then you probably have the EP4000 filtering out everything below 30hz.
You certainly need that filter off. Ive started running my DIY for the first time tonight. I had the filter on from when I tested the amp with my speakers. I could tell something was wrong. Switching it off has improved everything vastly.
post #28 of 62 Old 12-21-09, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

Well, here is/was the biggest issue. I dont know how to feel about it. But I had the sub hooked up with a speak-on cable. Searched and searched and found that the connection is wrong if you use that hookup. Changed to bare wire terminals and voila. That helped dramatically. It doesnt have the distortion, weak sound, or early clipping. However, doesnt fix the issue of my input. I have to have the receiver up VERY high for the sub to get to the desired level. Which when the other speakers are hooked up its absurd the about of volume they are at. I tried with both of my receivers and the older/lesser Kenwood wouldnt even get it to signal up. This is through the sub-pre out. I have to ask this; The sub pre out is like 1/2 of a channel in essense, correct? And I am running RCA (at receiver) to XLR (at amp). With the amp in bridged mode and input/output going only through channel 1 is this correct? I only think of this based on a typical store bought powered sub. You have to split the sub out and run left and right seperate to the amp. Or am I acheiving the right input by hooking the input cable direct to the receiver with no splitting into a single XLR on the other side? I have tried it every way I can think, and none effect my base level. I also followed others EP4000 switching to:

R
L
R
L
L
R
R
R
L
L

Sucked that they arent better at showing the user via their instruction book on how to mode switch this pig. Or use basic connections. Thanks to you guys and previous posts I atleast figured that out. Your thoughts on how to get the initial level up would be appreciated.

I also went back and jumped the coils + to - and went back to the amp in 4 ohm mono.
post #29 of 62 Old 12-21-09, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Brandon

I was talking to a friend of a friend and he said I should get away from the RCA to XLR cable and go RCA to 1/4" as there is something lost in that transition and may be losing part of the input signal. Also said that I could add a balanced line driver to increase (and control) level of input. Thoughts?
post #30 of 62 Old 12-21-09, 01:45 PM
Elite Shackster

Dylan

Quote:
brandon75173 wrote: View Post
I was talking to a friend of a friend and he said I should get away from the RCA to XLR cable and go RCA to 1/4" as there is something lost in that transition and may be losing part of the input signal. Also said that I could add a balanced line driver to increase (and control) level of input. Thoughts?
I've been using a RCA to XLR cable for my EP2500, and haven't had any problems. I do have to turn up my sub-out channel though. It only puts out I think 1v, and the EP2500 like it to be above 2v IIRC. (?)
If your having trouble with your sub-out channel being too low, get a Behringer MIC2200. You can use it as an EQ, HPF, and input boosting. That is what i'm using right now, and I haven't had any problems with yet.
It can do a HPF down to 10hz, and can boost the input signal more than enough for the EP2500.

Build log: