Build thread! Unknown 12" Sony driver... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Ported Subwoofer Build Projects
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 7678 - Replies: 40  
Old 03-27-10, 03:13 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

favelle
Since: Jan 2009
Victoria, BC Canada
I started this thread.
Build thread! Unknown 12" Sony driver...

Well, I decided to start a new project. Not for my home theater, but just for fun. Had an old 150W Sony SA-WM500 sub. A 12" home theater sub bought back in 2000 when I thought low frequency meant 25-30hz (LOL). Well the sub has been silent for about 5 years now so with all my spare parts lying around I decided to "rebuild" it to try and squeeze some more performance out of it.

This may end up turning to as there was no way to find the T/S parameters of the driver, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. If it works out, I'll likely give the sub to a family member that has been slowly getting into home theater after being over a couple times. So it will go to a good home if it works.

So here's the driver:

12". Nothing special. Certainly not what we extreme DIY sub freaks are used to. But again, this is just a fun PROJECT. Nothing serious.

Next up is the parts list. All spare parts from my basement, just going to waste. This will be an 80L build. 16" diameter Sonotube cut to 27" long will form the main cabinet. 4" PVC cut to 21 inches will be the port. This will give the enclosure roughly a 21-22hz tuning. Probably more than the driver can handle, but we'll be careful. Or NOT! Ha ha, if the driver fries, it fries. Part of the fun.

Last edited by favelle; 04-05-10 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: typo

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-10, 05:10 PM   #2
Elite Shackster

Since: Aug 2008
Re: Build thread! Unknown 12" Sony driver...

Should be fun. I think as long as you dont try put to much power through it, it will be fine. Nothing like having the results a complete unknown to make it interesting though.

Do you have the driver model number, have you tried finding any info on it?

Old 03-27-10, 05:48 PM   #3
Senior Shackster

favelle
Victoria, BC Canada
I started this thread.

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
Should be fun. I think as long as you dont try put to much power through it, it will be fine. Nothing like having the results a complete unknown to make it interesting though.

Do you have the driver model number, have you tried finding any info on it?
Thanks man. Yeah, searched around the net for days for info on the driver....couldn't find a thing. We know it came from a 1 cub ft box, tuned to 40hz, being fed 150W @ 6 ohms. So it will be interesting to see how it performs, LOL. Got my SPL meter ready. Got the endcaps cut, port tube cut, sonotube cut,.....just got a few minor things to do before I put it together for some test runs!

Old 03-27-10, 06:16 PM   #4
Senior Shackster

Mikey
Since: Jan 2010
Orlando Fl,

Looking forward on seeing this build. One of my next builds is going to be a Sonotube sub like this one. Good Luck mang.

Old 03-27-10, 06:19 PM   #5
Elite Shackster

40 hz tune isnt that low by todays standards, and the original box was small. Your tuning twice as low and putting it in a box almost 3 times the size. I'd make sure you dont put any more than 100 watts (which is even probably pushing it a little) into this, and use a HPF if you have one. I get the feeling there is a good chance you could fry this driver otherwise

Old 03-27-10, 07:13 PM   #6
Senior Shackster

favelle
Victoria, BC Canada
I started this thread.

Quote:
Moonfly wrote: View Post
40 hz tune isnt that low by todays standards, and the original box was small. Your tuning twice as low and putting it in a box almost 3 times the size. I'd make sure you dont put any more than 100 watts (which is even probably pushing it a little) into this, and use a HPF if you have one. I get the feeling there is a good chance you could fry this driver otherwise
We're using the same amp that came with the sub, so chances are, it already has a HP filter on it. The build literally will cost no money, its purely for fun. If it works out in any way better than a HTIB sub or $250 box-store sub, then I'll gladly give it to someone to get his home theater addiction started, LOL!

Last edited by favelle; 03-28-10 at 05:57 PM..

Old 03-27-10, 07:16 PM   #7
Senior Shackster

favelle
Victoria, BC Canada
I started this thread.

Quote:
BuddahX wrote: View Post
Looking forward on seeing this build. One of my next builds is going to be a Sonotube sub like this one. Good Luck mang.
Good job man. If you want a budget sub that sound GREAT, I suggest an SDX10 in a Sonotube design, or a 12" Shiva in a Sonotube design. Perfect easy build with great performance.

Old 03-28-10, 02:18 AM   #8
Elite Shackster

Quote:
favelle wrote: View Post
We're using the same amp that came with the sub, so chances are, it already has a HP filter on it.
If this is the case, then it will be a set to a point that reflects the original cab size and tune, which will likely result in restrictions to the extra performance your trying to achieve. Its all fun and games though.

Quote:
The build literally will cost no money, its purely for fun. If it works out in any way better than a HTIB sub or $250 box-store sub, then I'll gladly give it to my brother-in-law to get his home theater addiction started, LOL!
Its certainly going to be interesting, and there's nothing like adding to your learning curve with a bit of experimentation. I'll be watching this one with interest , it would be very nice if you get it to do what you want

Old 03-28-10, 05:52 PM   #9
Senior Shackster

favelle
Victoria, BC Canada
I started this thread.

Yeah, the hope is the amp's HP filter was set a little lower than the tuning of the original box and also the driver having a lower Fs than what it was tuned for. If those 2 things are true, we can definitely squeeze a little more out. How much is up for debate and that's what the testing will be for. I'll likely start at -12db below reference and work from there. If I can get it to out put flat to 30hz, it will be better than it was. And if it makes some kind of noise at 25hz or even 22hz, then its all gravy. Part of the fun!

Old 03-28-10, 05:52 PM   #10
Senior Shackster

favelle
Victoria, BC Canada
I started this thread.

Endcaps cut (except hole for 4" port). Just rough cut with a jig saw. No sanding or anything. Trying not to do extra work until I know it sounds ok, even though a 22hz tuned box will be useful and I'll likely find a driver amp/combo for it eventually if this doesn't pan out.

As it is, I have access to a drill press that fits hole-saw bits, so I am going to use that to cut the port hole in the top endcap tomorrow. I may offset the port like it is in the 2nd pic to give more clearance from the driver. We'll see.

3rd pic shows a counter-sunk screw. I did 2 of these in the port endcap because it wasn't staying properly and my clamps are not available to me right now. Everything about this build spells "weekend warrior". Literally anyone could make this sub. That's kind of the goal as well. For literally a fraction of the cost of a box-store sub, better can be built!

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Ported Subwoofer Build Projects »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »