Going all out. - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 33 Old 08-14-10, 02:13 AM
Shackster

Re: Going all out.

Sorry, before we get all excited with a LLT, shouldn't a large horn loaded sub be considered? You're one lucky guy that space is not an issue, so why not go with the lowest tuned tapped horn or FLH that you can fit in that space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 Old 08-14-10, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

I have not started building yet, and am still open to other options. For something like that I'll need plenty of help.
post #23 of 33 Old 08-14-10, 08:33 AM
Elite Shackster
gperkins

Hi there,

I have the old Q18's and am building two 15 cu ft subs with multi tuning. One off the tunes is 17hz and give a good curve for music and movies. I have chosen 3 tunes, low 12hz, medium 17.5hz and high 21.5hz so that it gives me the flexibility to play low bass tracks, movies and music. I have the EQ.2 and will set up 3 sets off filters on the BFD for each tune. I should be finishing soon so I will let you know how I get on. It may be an option for you.

The reason I came up with the idea off doing it, is because off the SVS PB13 ultra.

The new drivers model better than the old ones so I will recone mine to the new spec as a later date in the future.

cheers

Graham
post #24 of 33 Old 08-14-10, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

I am interested to see how a tapped horn and flh would model with the Q18. If anyone has the software and knowledge about that I would appreciate that!
Posted via Mobile Device
post #25 of 33 Old 08-14-10, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post269199

Seeing this is making me lean towards a tapped horn. I'm just not for sure how well it would model with my Q18.
post #26 of 33 Old 08-15-10, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

Ok, did some more research, and I think I'm going to stick with Ricci's suggestions. Maybe down the road I'll look into a tapped horn setup. It was a nice thought though.
post #27 of 33 Old 08-17-10, 02:38 AM
Shackster

May i know why you did not like the tapped horn?

I did a very quick sim on HornResponse with the Q18 parameters, got a ~44 cuft tapped horn capable of 102 db/watt into 1 pi space flat from 20Hz.

I was just trying to get the lowest and flattest response, without trying to make it small, since 44cuft is still only about 1/3 of the space you said you could fill with the subwoofer. It is by no means an ideal design.
post #28 of 33 Old 08-17-10, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

Wechnivag,

What would be an ideal design? Also, I'm looking for some sort of degree of simplicity in the actual building of the sub. I'm in the midst of a home remodel and by the time I get to the sub I'm pretty sure I'm going to be tired of building things...
post #29 of 33 Old 08-17-10, 02:11 PM
Elite Shackster

Josh

That's why I didn't suggest a horn build. They usually end up much more design and build intensive, plus bigger. Rolling your own horn is not something I suggest for a relatively inexperienced DIYer. No offense meant to anyone.
post #30 of 33 Old 08-17-10, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Andrew

I take absolutely no offense, I'm pretty new to all of this, so I think the design you suggested should be plenty of work for me.