Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project... - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #141 of 177 Old 03-13-07, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System
Re: Dual RL-p15 D2 LLT Sub Project...

Here's a better shot to show how tall the unit is in relation to the recliners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 177 Old 03-13-07, 11:48 PM
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Rodny

Hey Sonnie.........you look a little green there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #143 of 177 Old 03-13-07, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
post #144 of 177 Old 03-14-07, 04:31 PM
Senior Shackster

Michael

I just got my RLP-18 in and I'm going to make a 24" Sonotube. Mike says I can use between 13-23 CuFt which if my calculations are correct would make it about 7.5 feet tall? Dunno if the wifes gonna like that.
post #145 of 177 Old 03-14-07, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

That's pretty tall... should be awesome! Be sure to start up a new thread with your build...

post #146 of 177 Old 03-15-07, 12:56 AM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Compression, the silent killer. There's a lot of people out there who just don't know what they are missing - I think today you just found out
Though it may seem that I'm arguing with you more than usually, I wanted to grab on this when I noticed that you brought it up again in Rodny's thread.

"If he was somehow experiencing any compression previously, like you unknowingly were with even two Plus/2s, that won't be the case anymore."

We should remember that even if those two subs were calibrated at the same level, he would still have a ~6 dB gain when both are playing at the same time. So it doesn't mean that the SVS' were compressing by 122.8-114.5 dB=8.3 dB. When you subtract the 6 dB you'll have 2.3 dB, and that can be explained by the different frequency responses.

So nothing shows that Sonnie's SVS' were yet compressing. Based on experience with my own Plus/2, I'd say he will have to push them over 120 dB until any major compression sets in. It can be easily tested by running the same scene at rising output level (for example -10RL, -5RL, RL and so on) with an RTA running (peak hold on) behind.

post #147 of 177 Old 03-15-07, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
It can be easily tested by running the same scene at rising output level (for example -10RL, -5RL, RL and so on) with an RTA running (peak hold on).
Running just the pair of SVS subs? I can probably test this Friday since I'm taking off to fiddle with the room some.

Steve, I can also test that tuning frequency... I'll just use my CM-140 with the ECM8000 cal file. It will tell us what we wanna know anyway.

post #148 of 177 Old 03-15-07, 01:17 AM
Elite Shackster

Ilkka

Quote:
Sonnie wrote: View Post
Running just the pair of SVS subs? I can probably test this Friday since I'm taking off to fiddle with the room some.
Yes, just SVS subs. When you find their limits, you can add the DIY sub and see how much higher it can take you. Though it's not healthy to push SVS' into more than ~5 dB of compression.

I assume you also have TrueRTA since it can't be done with REW.

Quote:
Steve, I can also test that tuning frequency... I'll just use my CM-140 with the ECM8000 cal file. It will tell us what we wanna know anyway.
Yup.
post #149 of 177 Old 03-15-07, 01:19 AM
Elite Shackster

Steve

Sonnie, was the ~123db achieved with the SVS AND LLT running, or just the LLT? I was under the impression it was from just the LLT. And if both, was the sub level knocked down 6db before replaying the scene or lef as is?

Quote:
Ilkka wrote:
Though it may seem that I'm arguing with you more than usually
Again, no worries, it's not arguing, it's discussing

post #150 of 177 Old 03-15-07, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator

I'm a redneck!

My System

Quote:
Ilkka wrote: View Post
Yes, just SVS subs. When you find their limits, you can add the DIY sub and see how much higher it can take you. Though it's not healthy to push SVS' into more than ~5 dB of compression.

I assume you also have TrueRTA since it can't be done with REW.
No, I don't have TrueRTA... I though you meant using an SPL meter...

Quote:
SteveCallas wrote: View Post
Sonnie, was the ~123db achieved with the SVS AND LLT running, or just the LLT? I was under the impression it was from just the LLT. And if both, was the sub level knocked down 6db before replaying the scene or lef as is?
Yes.... both subs running. Both subs were level matched and left the same. All we did was hold up the SPL meter during the same ~30 second scene and played just the SVS subs to start with, got the max reading and then turned on the LLT with the SVS subs and got another max reading.

I can do each separately if it will help to determine something useful.