Dual 128 Cu.Ft. Cabinets Tuned to 13.5 hz With Dual FiCarAudio IB3 18's - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 03-23-11, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

Re: post count before attatchments aloud?

This thread was an inspiration and I thank you very much Rodny.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-makeover.html

I used REW for the first time 2 days ago, I am still getting the hang of it, but here is what I have so far. I haven't run Audyssey yet, I don't know how to, so this is no EQing yet, no room treatments (I have a 60"x90" entryway leak, bedroom door leak, and a false roof that has almost 3" of flex) and no HP filter. Dual 128 cubic foot cabinets, each loaded with a pair of FiCarAudio IB3 18's, each powered by an EP4000 ( four IB3 18s and two EP4000s total) each with a 12" diameter port 5" long with two free ends for a 13.5Hz tune. My electrical is very lacking, that will come another day as well.

Sweeps at 5dB increments starting at -40dB master ending at -10dB master to see compression. Distortion tests yet to come once I figure out how to do them. LP was set to 80Hz, I will sweep some more with it at 250Hz.

SLLT is not a myth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-07-11, 03:19 PM
Elite Shackster

Mike

Re: Dual 128 Cu.Ft. Cabinets Tuned to 13.5 hz With Dual FiCarAudio IB3 18's

Wow, 130 db at 22 hz and 124 db at 15 hz. Gotta love that! Have you done distortion tests yet?

We're all in this together!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 18 Old 04-07-11, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

I ran some this morning, I still dont have this mastered by any means, these were taken with the Audyssey mic at LP... 7' from the subs. A 5Hz sine wave is of course overcome by the 1st harmonic, 10Hz is much higher in SPL and its distortion is terrible, but its almost 2 octaves below tuning

Here are two done at 10Hz, I forgot to increase the image size on the 1st so i did a second test.

Here is a snapshot isolating 2Hz-10Hz to see the effect of the HT room sealed up vs opened up, though I don't know how much the Audyssey mic can be trusted this low, especially when the drivers are completely unloading.

I ran several sweeps until I could hear the suspension complaining with the room both sealed up and opened up, anything more than -12dB on the master gets nasty. So here are sweeps in 5Hz increments starting at -42dB master and ending at -12dB to show compression and room effects, such as walls and ceiling that flex massively no longer being able to increase in how much they flex. Sealed up, Audyssey mic.

A good single shot of the FR at a moderate level.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-07-11, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Mike, here are my very first shots taken back on the 23rd when I was even more novice with this than I am now. These were with the RS meter, I believe I had the correction file added at this point, I don't remember for sure. I apologize for most of these being very hard to see and most of them not having any text typed to go with them. I was still learning how to take snapshots

10Hz -3.6dB FS
THD: 7.70% THD+N: 7.75%
2nd: 5.74% 3rd: 5.11%
4th: .339% 5th:.363
6th: .228 7th: .129
8th: .032 9th: .0258

124.4dB

REW sig gen only goes to 10Hz so I used NCH and did 5Hz but got weird results. No black spike had my level view too high, and the top says 15Hz -36.6dB FS since it was "louder" than the 5Hz tone, the circled window said 94.5dB. THD was just below 10%.

post #5 of 18 Old 04-26-11, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Was planning to go from 1 IB3 18" per tower to a 21" IA DP modded for HT, the silver line, but Nick is a busy guy and by the time he emailed back I had already purchased four more IB3 18's. Here Brandy is installing 2"x4" bracing. She is inside the 2nd tower, each are 128 cubic feet with a 12" port 5" long for a 13.4Hz tuning.

Shot of tower 2's port aimed at the 8'x8' platform. Overhead lights on.

Underbody lights on.

post #6 of 18 Old 04-26-11, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

post #7 of 18 Old 04-26-11, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

post #8 of 18 Old 04-26-11, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Banned!

Apparently you folk are "at war" with The Cult? I know nothing about it but ThomasW gave me a little sneak attack today and mentioned Steve Callus and his LLT, Rodney's IB conversion and "SLLT", and HTS having it's own IB area...god forbid you don't skip over IBs because it's the cult's territory... cult not capitalized because I mean it as an adjective not a pronoun ( I am neither good at grammar nor spelling, I may be way off here )

I could EQ flat to 10Hz at 115dB with up to 15dB headroom at 23Hz

Or I could EQ flat to 7Hz at 110dB with up to 20dB headroom at 23Hz

just cuz i love/hate it:

post #9 of 18 Old 04-27-11, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

If I could do it all over again, I would build 2 manifolds with 4 subs in each, one in each corner of the spare room. The spare room is 990 cubic feet. My door is 23"x88"x4". With my door open, I am tuned to 11.5Hz. Door closed it is IB. 8 Fi IB3 18's.

post #10 of 18 Old 05-01-11, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned!

current towers red, room box yellow

fr

2400 watts keeps both under Xmech... I surpass Xmax all the time doesnt bother me other than headroom...