Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

TC Sounds Pro 5100 with Dual 18" VMP Passive Radiators

18K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  dcmartinpc 
#1 · (Edited)
TC Sounds Custom Pro 5100 (Ferrite Magnet) with Dual 18" VMP Passive Radiators

I am proud to say I have started the process to build my dream sub! Here are the specs...

TC Sounds Custom Pro 5100 18" Driver (Ferrite Magnet)
Dual TC Sounds 18" VMP Passive Radiators each with 2200 grams of mass
9.042 Cubic Foot Box tuned to 16.03Hz (25x25x25 Internal Dimensions, double thick 1.5" baffles for the driver and passives)

I was originally planning on using a Pro 5100 driver and doing a 7 cubic foot box, but came across a DEAL on 2 Custom subs, so I jumped on it. I also bumped the box to 9 cubic feet. The short of it is that the subs are a Pro 5100 top assembly with a Ferrite Motor instead of Neodymium.

Attached are the WinISD files. (I stole the start of this from Endesereth. Thanks!) I have one with less moving mass on the passives... Still trying to decide, but that is the beauty :) I can play with it! I will be updating these files with the specs of the Custom subs soon.

Let me know what you guys think of my plan and any insight would be great.

Don

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
OK, here are the updated graphs and the updated files. For some reason it looks like the EQ and filter parameters are not saving correctly to the file.

They are...

Highpass - Butterworth, 4th Order 15 Hz
Parametric EQ - 60 Hz, Q = 1, Gain = -3 db
Lowpass - Linkwitz Riley, 4th Order, 85 Hz

Let me know what you guys think...

Orange is 2200 grams on the PR, Green is 1520.

Don

Attachments

#8 ·
Yeah! Almost all of their prices sky rocketed! I didn't order the VMP which I should have. Now I am fighting with a business on eBay shipping them to me at the price they had listed at Buy It Now. Very frustrating. I am still trying to locate some 18" VMP that aren't close to $300 a hit! If anyone has any, let me know!

Don

#11 · (Edited)
Well, there has been a slight change of plan, but a good change I think :) I am now picking up a pair of custom TC Sounds drivers. The short of it is that they are a Pro 5100 top assembly, with a custom TC4HP ferrite magnet motor hand built by Thilo Stompler. It is a lot like the motor off of a LMS Ultra 5400. I think it was a killer find at a great price. And I will have a pair of them so I can build a second sub later! I will post pics of them here once I pick them up. Hopefully it will be next weekend!

Don

#14 ·
Looks like I am going to be picking up the drivers this Sunday afternoon. VERY excited! I ordered 2 18" TC Sounds VMP passives today from PE and the cabinet design is almost done. I am having someone with a CNC cut it all for me. It will be much cleaner that way! I can't wait! It will now be done significantly BEFORE my previously anticipated date of August 3rd. And now the wife has finally agreed to partially finish the basement! It just keeps getting better!

I will post pics once I get the subs.

Don

#20 ·
I just free aired them to make sure everything was working properly. They worked well :) I can't wait to get these things in a box with the passives and really let them shine! The nice thing is that they are dual 1 ohm coils so it presents a 2 ohm load to the CE4000 which gets me 1800 watts per channel on a 220v circuit :yikes: I will be pushing the CE4000 about as hard as it will go!

Don

#22 ·
Well folks, I was ordering the second set of passive radiators last night and I didn't pay close enough attention and I accidentally ordered a LMS Ultra 5400 that was in my cart previously.... So it has already shipped and I am stuck with it. So I am trying to decide if I should play with it, or just sell it... Any thoughts?

Don

#24 ·
I'm sure you are!

Actually, I think I am going to go ahead and try it in this enclosure, but also get one of the Parts Express Knockdown sealed enclosures, add a double thick baffle to the front, and see how it works... I think it would be a very nice music sub... Tight and clean. I could put it in the living room in my 2 channel system if the wife will let me :) If not, I might just sell it after it is all done, but I might like it enough to keep it!

For home theater, the passive subs will be perfect. But I hear tell that the LMS Ultra in a sealed config is phenomenal for music.

Don

#26 ·
Tower of TC Sounds! These are all 4 passives for the home theater subs, and the LMS Ultra 5400. The 2 custom drivers are sitting assembled in the basement. My youngest is almost as excited as I am! He knows when I am getting ready to build something and he is always right next to me with a screwdriver!

Don

#27 · (Edited)
Questions on cabinet construction. I would like to avoid screws as I would like to stain these in the future. Is there a particular type of wood glue I should use? I will be getting plenty of clamps to make sure things are glued up tight, but I wanted to ask questions here to avoid any gotchas. This is the first one of these I have built :) Also, anyone who has mounted the LMS Ultra Drivers, or even the Pro 5100, is there a particular wood screw I should use, or should I get hurricane nuts or something like them?

Thanks!

Don

#29 ·
I received the enclosures. I started working on them tonight. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, so this might take several days. I will take some pics tomorrow, but I unpacked everything tonight and clamped, glued, and screwed one of the double baffles together. Only 5 more to go :( It will be nice when they are done, but I am not looking forward to the assembly.

I really only have enough clamps (A total of 12 bar clamps) to properly clamp one baffle at a time, so I have to let them sit and cure for a couple hours before moving on to the next one. I clamp 2 clamps along each of the 4 edges and 4 inside the driver mounting hole. I could probably remove the clamps after I screw the baffles together, but I would rather be safe. I hope to have all 6 of the baffles completed Thursday and start glueing up the enclosures on Friday.

Don

#30 ·
I completed the second front baffle and 1 of the side baffles tonight. I have 34 screws in each baffle screwed in while everything is clamped tight. The screws are put in through the rear of the baffle so no screws will be visible once the enclosures are complete. Here are a couple pictures of the baffle assembly. Sorry for the cell phone pics, it is what I had available...

Don

#32 ·
I completed the second front baffle and 1 of the side baffles tonight. I have 34 screws in each baffle screwed in while everything is clamped tight. The screws are put in through the rear of the baffle so no screws will be visible once the enclosures are complete. Here are a couple pictures of the baffle assembly.
Don
Glue and clamp will do just fine. You don't need the screws. It's just extra work that you can save yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.