n00b build - Dayton RSS390HF, 8-ish ft^3, ported - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Ported Subwoofer Build Projects
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 3402 - Replies: 15  
Old 08-16-11, 12:23 PM   #1
Shackster

Since: Jan 2011
North of "The Strait", Mi
I started this thread.
n00b build - Dayton RSS390HF, 8-ish ft^3, ported

After months of reading, researching, learning to use WinISD, etc etc, I finally built my first ever subwoofer (and first ever real "woodworking" project)! The basics break down like so:
  • Dayton RSS390HF 15" driver - purchased from a fellow forum member
  • BASH 300w plate amp from PE
  • Box is constructed of .75" MDF with a doubled front baffle
  • Slot port running across the entire bottom of the enclosure

The enclosure is roughly 26w x 26d x 31h; minus bracing, port, and driver it leaves me somewhere around 7.5 to 8 ft^3 net internal volume. The port is 1" high x 24.5" wide and about 17-18 inches deep, giving me a tuning point around 18 hz, near as I can figure. I admit that I got pretty sick of juggling numbers and making incremental modifications the WinISD model, and finally said "let's make sawdust!" I figured that I'm probably not going to be able to tell the difference between 17.78 hz and 18.46 hz in any case...

Construction was pretty straightforward, though cutting the sides was a major problem. I don't have a table saw, and I attempted to build a fence/jig/guide to make the cuts. That was a spectacular failure and almost led to me abandoning the project altogether - cuts were jagged, the saw kept getting jammed, etc. Many colorful idioms were used. At the end of the day, I just used a straightedge to mark the cut and eyeballed it with my circular saw. Much easier, was relatively straight, and I used my router + flush cut bit to square up the panels once they were glued.

I think this really brought it home to me that higher quality tools are definitely worth it. My circular saw is a cheapo Black and Decker, and while it works, it is definitely not a top line tool. My compound miter is a Dewalt and the difference is night and day; same with my Ryobi plunge router. I will be investing in better tools for sure.

Back to the cuts - I had the friendly fellow at the big orange store cut the top and bottom on their ginormous wall saw thingy. Man, that was the ticket! No muss, no fuss.

Anyway, here are some shots I took while I was doing the project - unfortunately I didn't take as many as I would have liked. Next time for sure...

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-11, 12:28 PM   #2
Shackster

I started this thread.
Re: n00b build - Dayton RSS390HF, 8-ish ft^3, ported

It's so... big.

Attachments

Old 08-16-11, 01:38 PM   #3
Shackster

I started this thread.

Front baffle construction...

Attachments

Old 08-16-11, 01:45 PM   #4
Shackster

I started this thread.

I wanted to flush mount the driver, but being the n00b that I am, I didn't make sure the initial cut (for the flange) was deep enough to flush mount the driver before I finished the entire hole cut. So, no place to mount the circle jig to "deepen" the flange cut. I noodled this for a while but couldnt see a way to do it without a ton of work, and I did not want to make a new baffle, so... chalk it up to a learning experience and move on!

Old 08-16-11, 03:11 PM   #5
Elite Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Mike
Since: Apr 2007
Chitek Lake, Sask.

It's going to be a big sub!

Old 08-16-11, 03:48 PM   #6
HTS Senior Moderator

bigbadbill
Since: Sep 2008
Newcastle Australia

Quote:
Michigan_Man wrote: View Post
I wanted to flush mount the driver, but being the n00b that I am, I didn't make sure the initial cut (for the flange) was deep enough to flush mount the driver before I finished the entire hole cut. So, no place to mount the circle jig to "deepen" the flange cut. I noodled this for a while but couldnt see a way to do it without a ton of work, and I did not want to make a new baffle, so... chalk it up to a learning experience and move on!
I have done the same previously. I got around it by clamping a sheet of MDF to the baffle with another small piece attached to the center and drilled a new center hole for the jig.

Cheers,
Bill.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

DIY completed:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-shelf.html

Old 08-22-11, 04:49 PM   #7
Senior Shackster

Velti
Since: Dec 2009

This driver is meant to give a lot of fun under 20Hz plus the room gain . I am very curios how it will work for you

My Builds:
RE AUDIO SE 10 F3-25Hz in 1.8cu ft http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-finish-9.html

Accuton/ Mundorf 2-Way mains: http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?a...267&thread=490

Old 08-24-11, 11:46 PM   #8
Shackster

I started this thread.

Circle jig from PE gets wholehearted approval!

Attachments

Old 08-24-11, 11:51 PM   #9
Shackster

I started this thread.

Box construction... the port is 1" or 1.5" tall and spans the entire width of the box. I added a center brace just because. Was quite proud of the fact that I remembered to rattle can some black paint in there before I put the bottom of the enclosure on!

Attachments

Old 08-24-11, 11:59 PM   #10
Shackster

I started this thread.

I would have like to flush mount the amp as well, but at this point I knew I didn't have the knowledge/skills, and was not willing to put in the time to learn how to do it. Another one for the "next time" file.

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > DIY Speakers | DIY Subwoofers > DIY Subwoofers > Ported Subwoofer Build Projects »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »