Dual SDX 7, Repurposed cabinet, used as computer subwoofer - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 10-29-11, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Dual SDX 7, Repurposed cabinet, used as computer subwoofer

So i happen to have a couple of cabinets laying around from an old pair of yamaha NS series towers, They used to be my rear channels, but i never really built a proper crossover for them. I noticed my SDX 7 speakers pretty much drop into the slots where the previous woofers were.

Long story short, I decided that my little logitech subwoofer wasn't doing any justice to my computer music, I had a nice set of repurposed energy bookshelves replacing the logitech satellites that came with the system, but the standard 3" subwoofer that came with this tiny 2.1 system. This wouldn't do. So with these cabinets laying around i went to winisd to model what they would do with the two SDX 7 drivers.

I came up with an internal volume of 1.2 cubic feet, and then stuffed them heavily with some polyfill i had laying around. I guesstimate the effective volume to 1.35-1.4 cubes.

Using the existing port locations i went ahead and added longer ports, Worked out to be a 2.25" port, so i had to extend it to 5" from the original 3, replaced the port, and tuned the cabinet to ~36hz. Ran the wires straight from the outside of the cabinet to the woofers in parallel, for a 4 ohm load. The port speed is fairly high if i want to max out the woofers. but in reality the amp isnt very powerful so it won't ever be an issue.

unhooked my old speaker from the logitech amp, and ran a set of wires over to the new cabinet. So the old sub is basically an outboard amplifier box, Its nice that the crossover is built directly into the amp at about 125hz. The SDX's are perfectly linear up till after 800, so i figured it wouldn't be too much of an issue.
The amp puts out a modest 30w when clipping, but with two of the SDX 7 drivers, i can hit about 103db. Not a bad deal for a computer sub. The drivers dont exceed xmax with 30w with an 18hz high pass. So just in case, i have a high pass filter engaged via software at 18hz.

I left the old tweeter in the cabinet to keep it sealed. Figured it could do no harm, as its not leaking.

This wasn't the original purpose for the SDX drivers, and i happen to have two more, and another spare cabinet, i'm thinking i could wire the drivers into series and use the "subwoofers" in a stereo pair with the bookshelves on top to help with imaging.

Does anyone think im crazy for wanting to use a second one? or for using the first one?

Last edited by Binary; 10-29-11 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added picture
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 Old 10-29-11, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
Re: Dual SDX 7, Repurposed cabinet, used as computer subwoofer

So, i did it anyways. Remembered that the little amp isn't made for 4 ohm, its an 8 ohm stable amp, and i noticed it getting quite warm, and a small amount of distortion. Grabbed my other tower. Slapped the other SDX's i have in it. Stuffed it, fixed the port length. and now im running two of em to get 8 ohm

I moved the speakers out to on top of the towers as it gets the tweeters closer to ear heights, and it stops the localization of the upper bass, (100-150hz). Put the grills on too. looks better that way.

I'm very happy with a quad of SDX 7's, its clean, and very much more bass that i need in an apartment bedroom. I had to turn the subwoofer section on the amp down, but it has a built in volume control for the sub anyways, so that was easy to do for matching purposes. I'm tempted to seal the boxes and try to EQ for lower freqs, but in all honesty, an f3 of ~33hz isn't bad for a music only system.

Another picture you say? Okay!

Before anyone decides to point it out, Yes, my computer is in my closet. As you can see, most of my clothes don't go in there, so its a great way to save space.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-31-11, 08:25 AM
Elite Shackster
My System

Looks like a great computer system, and I'm sure the bass you're getting out of those 4 SDX woofers is plenty. Seeing projects like this kind of makes me want to design a nice little 5.1 system for me computer.

- OJ -
DIY Ported Original Tempest Sub (offline)
DIY Dipolar rear surround
DIY XLR to RCA cables (offline)
DIY 1 to 4 RCA splitter
post #4 of 4 Old 10-31-11, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

The SDX Drivers are exceptional. Period. Worth every penny. In comparison, They are just as clean as the bass from a set of RBR's, with a pair of $300 Revelator drivers. The single cabinet was easily on par with the pair of RBR's for bass output, the tweeter in the RBR's is definitely nicer than my energy bookshelves. Using 4x SDX drivers is more bass than my apartment should be subjected to. (i don't want to get evicted, but these beg to get turned up over and over again)

Link to the RBR - http://www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com/RBR/infoRBR.html

I don't think i would ever do 5.1 for a computer system again. Rear speakers are hell to mount, center channels get in the way on the desk, and quite frankly, its not much better for gaming or movies. 2.1 is the way to go for a computer system, IMO.

cabinet , computer , dual , repurposed , sdx , subwoofer

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page