Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

beginner question on subwoofer mounting...

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  cnp112 
#1 ·
this is my first diy and could use some mounting help (this is probably really basic...but...once again...first diy...figure better to be safe)

i have created and laminated my endcaps for my sonosub ported build...i was getting ready to mark the mounting holes and noticed that the holes are partially blocked by an inner lining...i think it is plastic...as it seems a little flexible...

should i just sand out all the plastic around the mounting hole area (so the bolt will be flat against the metal)...or do i not even need to be concerned with it...

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
what size bolt should i be using for mounting...i have read 10-32 or 1/4...does it matter which i choose...or should i just go with whatever fits and will hold the sub to the endcap....
Some of that will be predicated on driver size and the type of material you'll be screwing it into. I'm partial to t-nuts or inserts myself, because I'm of the mind that you can't ever mount a driver too securely.

#5 ·
i will be using t-nuts for sure as i do see myself potentially re-using the enclosure with a different driver...

i tried using a 1/4-20 round head machine screw...but the head of the screw was too large to fit over the outer lip of the subwoofer's casing (terminology?)...is my best bet going to be 1/4-20 cap head screws...thanks...

also...should i be worried about drilling a 5/16" inch hole for the 1/4-20 t-nut when there is not much wood between the subwoofer cutout and the 5/16" inch hole...thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.