How do you back up your hard drive data? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems -

post #11 of 31 Old 03-09-10, 07:27 PM
Elite Shackster
Steve Mechelke -mech
My System
Re: How do you back up your hard drive data?

I back up all my computers to a Windows Home Server that sits in my network room. It does it automatically every night.

One of these days I'll get around to setting it up as a full fledged media server. Right now it just serves up music.
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 31 Old 04-14-10, 11:11 PM

For those of you using the Mac, SuperDuper, is an excellent program and alternative to TimeMachine. It's one of the few 3rd party programs that gets the permissions correct, and it will also backup/copy bootable partitions correctly. It's very fast in "Smart Update" mode - where it updates the backup copy to look like the current version of the source (not doing snapshots going back in time like Time Machine, which can also take up alot of space). Running a backup once a week with SuperDuper or Time Machine to a disk that's only used for backups (and only powered on when backups are being done) should be a bare minimum for anyone with valuable data.

As far as backup strategy goes, it all depends upon how much content you have/produce, and what your budget is. Multiple backups are a good idea, and in order of expense these are usually "live" or "hot swappable" backups, followed by optical (DVD-R or BLU Ray), followed by magnetic media (4mm or 8mm tape). People who are producing gigabytes of content per week, often have hot swappable backups, and/or use a mirrored RAID configuration. Unfortunately, running drives all the time makes them fail more quickly. Swappable distributed storage, like the low end products from Data RObotics (the DroboStore) line, can workaround a failed drive - just have an extra one to swap out.
post #13 of 31 Old 04-15-10, 01:54 AM
Senior Shackster

I usually back up on my external HD, every second day, all the projects I'm currently working on. When the project is done, I make a DVD back-up and I encourage the client to bring his/her own back solution (usually and external HD) too.
I store the DVD backups in a dry, light-less place...

post #14 of 31 Old 04-15-10, 07:04 AM
Senior Shackster

For project data I backup once to a redundant drive (constantly) and once to DVD (usually when I'm finished with something).

For personal data...I'm lazy, I really need a better system. I have backups all over the place on multiple machines but I don't know where anything is really.
post #15 of 31 Old 04-15-10, 06:53 PM

Firstly, understand the difference between 'backup' and 'archive'.

During tracking and mixing, I buy a 2.5" portable HDD for each customer/project backups during the job. The 2.5" are sturdier than the 3.5" units since the smaller drives are made for laptops which get knocked around quite a bit.

Each day the entire job is backed up onto the drive. For example, a recent jazz band CD used approximately 30GB including all tracking files and the project files and stereo mixdowns for each track.
This backup is stored offsite and is used in the case of catastrophic loss of the data.

Once the project is completed and I have the copy of the master CD (the master CD is never played, it is ready to go to the manufacturer) then the complete project is archived to optical media and stored away with the master CD copy.
post #16 of 31 Old 04-16-10, 10:18 PM

I have been considering a new solution which would monitor in real-time and do an active backup. I mainly use Acronis with schedules or Alwaysync manually as I like to have my local backup powered down and "offline".

My wife's laptop was just stolen on Monday, so I'll have to see how on top of my backups I actually was.....!

post #17 of 31 Old 04-17-10, 04:45 AM

Making an image with Norton Ghost of all my HD's. I have 5 of them, but I'm only imaging 3 HD's every week.

Reminds that I have to back-up my drives this weekend
post #18 of 31 Old 04-17-10, 01:39 PM
Senior Shackster

For backing up on windows, it really depends on which version you're using.

That is an awesome program for any backup needs. Alternatively an external hard drive is useful as well, you can get a 1TB external for 99 bucks on newegg .
post #19 of 31 Old 04-17-10, 03:28 PM

Yeah, Acronis can also do the trick.
post #20 of 31 Old 04-20-10, 11:52 PM

Well. As someone who did consumer level technical support, I can't emphasize the importance of backing up. Google did a study a few year back, and they found that about ten percent of their desktop sized, stationary drives failed annually! (This is my first post, so I can't yet post a link )

With that said, I think that the best way to backup a computer is with either a mirrored RAID 1 solution, or a constant, incremental backup to an external hard drive. As a previous poster(s) have mentioned, Apple makes a great application called Time Machine that does wonders.
Posted via Mobile Device

back , data , drive , hard

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page