Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Corsair P128 CMFSSD-128GBG2D 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  immortalgropher 
G
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have an SSD and it is amazing what a performance difference it makes in some circumstances. Primarily application launching. Apps on the SSD launch almost immediately.

It has been a few months since I did my research but as of then most people were recommending getting drives based on the Indilinx controllers instead of the Samsung controllers.

G
#4 ·
Wow! What an upgrade!

These SSD drives and 8GB of RAM on Windows 7... :gulp:

35 seconds to be online at the Shack.

35 seconds to restart my laptop.

7 seconds for shutdown.

1 second to open nearly any app on my laptop.

Life is different now... how did I ever live with these upgrades? :rolleyesno:

First it was Martin Logans... now SSD drives... QUIT spoiling me technology!

#5 ·
I know that they are fast, but I've been concerned about the fragmentation issue as well. Writing to the same location repeatedly in SSD memory makes it wear out faster. So the controller has to deliberately fragment where the data physically gets written in order to maximize the lifetime of the SSD. So de-fragging an SSD is actually *bad* - you don't want to do this. I don't know/recall now what the MTBF (mean time between failures) or what the ratings are for these devices are in terms of time or write cycles. But I'd bet it depends upon the controller chips as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.