Misconceptions that musicians seem to have in the studio. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 15 Old 05-30-10, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Misconceptions that musicians seem to have in the studio.

I thought it'd be cool to post some of the misconceptions that musicians have when going into the studio or otherwise.

Here's a few i run into frequently to non-profesional musicians:

Tuning a snare drum higher, means more crack. I've had to lower a snare nearly a full octave once and they were like wow, how did you get the crack to stay...

Resonant heads can be tuned to whatever, they're only there to make it have a bit more body...

When you tune your guitar, just wait for the note to settle and make sure you're tuned to the settled note. For metal players this is the WORST!

A good guitar setup isn't necessary.

New drum heads aren't necessary.

I can get a professional sounding drum recording out of my untreated bedroom. I don't care what ANYBODY says, i work in a commercial studio, have used worse mic's on a worse drum kit in a session than i have at home and the studio recording trumps it every time.

So what have you guys heard or seen?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 15 Old 05-30-10, 09:49 PM
Senior Shackster
Re: Misconceptions that musicians seem to have in the studio.

I would add that the best instrument sounds come from the artists that play them...
post #3 of 15 Old 05-31-10, 02:55 AM

That I, as an engineer can transform a really bad singer/musician into a great singer/musician when mixing.
post #4 of 15 Old 05-31-10, 07:03 AM

That they believe they are ready to record! Many don't get it, that recording is very different from just knowing your songs enough to play them well. I have had a few bands that I saw playing live and were excellent, come into the studio and everything just fell apart.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-31-10, 02:03 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

Many seriously underestimate the amount of time it really takes to get the mix down just right. I had one guy come in to our church studio and wanted to be out in two hours with his mastered copy in hand.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #6 of 15 Old 06-02-10, 06:56 AM
Senior Shackster

Not that we're demanding or anything...
post #7 of 15 Old 06-02-10, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

To expand on getting a good mix, (i've run into that so many times its not funny, i'm now considering having minimum time to do songs)

Many musicians underestimate how long it take to get a drum session set up, and then pull some good sounds. Then how long it takes to edit the drums once they are recorded (i always BD drums unless i am REALLY pressed for time)
post #8 of 15 Old 06-02-10, 05:51 PM
Senior Shackster

When they think it's okay to be late without calling to let you know. -shows up 20 minutes late without calling- "what happened to our session?" "You're 20 minutes late" lol.

When they think auto tune is the holy grail of vocals. It's not. Spend the time to make good takes or get outta the studio =P.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-04-10, 09:01 AM

Engineer "that was a good take, i think you can sing it a bit stronger though"
Vocalist "yea i was a bit flat on that one eh"
Engineer "yea but thats ok i've heard you hit that note before"
Vocalist "well you can just fix it on the computer right?"
Engineer "yea but i'm not going to... ready? *record arm and playback*"

some other goodies...
- thinking that using your 5 month old strings is ok
- thinking that tuning once at the beginning of the session is ok
- thinking a take is usable "except for that one little thing" that you don't mention bugs you and then its there... on the master copy, and everytime you listen to that song you cringe at little thing you which you could change
- amount of time a session takes... musicians new to the studio dont realize that it takes time to get there, get all your gear inside, set up your gear, tune your gear, set up the session, set up mics and levels, get warmed up...etc. it can take several hours before you're laying down any tracks.
*TIP* if you're a musician looking to record, give the engineer as much information as possible- this goes for newer engineers too, ask a hundred questions and it will make setting up so much easier-
Things that should be established between musicians and the engineer... (feel free to note some more)
- budget/how much time do you have
- type of music
- how many tracks
- OTF or over-dubbing
- instrumentation and arrangement
- key, tempo, also some drummers are picky about their click type and speed
- what gear they're bringing - amps, guitars, drums, other acoustic instruments, effects...
- what are some of their favorite albums

these are just SOME of the things that should be discussed before the session starts

+1 to thinking they are going to leave the recording session with the finished track... not often but it does happen
post #10 of 15 Old 08-01-10, 06:50 AM

Ha... good thread.
TapeOp had a great editorial on this a while back. If you're not a subscriber, you should be!

Other popular misconceptions:

The floor is a great headphone hanger.
EVERYONE should blow into your ribbon mic.
"My wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend/mom/dad/entourage/homeless guy I saw standing at the freeway off-ramp won't be in the way at all when I bring them to the session"
This amp I found in my girlfriend's basement with all the hum, noise, bad input jack, and blown speaker will sound really great on the recording.. we're into the vintage/retro sound.
Really, we sound a whole lot tighter when we've all had a few beers..
No, we don't need a click track...
Everyone tells me I sound just like Amy Lee...

There are dozens of others... but I think we need a new time zone developed called "Musician Standard Time" which varies from actual time by being anywhere from 20 minutes to two days behind it.....

Thank goodness the payoff is in helping really good, conscientious musicians create phenomenal works of art in the end.

-your results may vary-

misconceptions , musicians , studio

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page