Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

coaxial / s-video / rca(recevier) to dvi / hdmi / d-sub (lcd monitor)

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tonyvdb 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a bell standard receiver with only coaxial, rca, and s-video.
I want to hook it up to my monitor with hdmi, dvi, and d-sub(vga).

I bought a svideo to d-sub(vga) cable off of ebay and it does not work. Could be the quality of the cable since it came from hong kong or mabe it only works d-sub to svideo?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.

#3 ·
Pretty sure I got a similar cable and had the same issue, only with Component to VGA- check for my thread a few rows down and you'll see it. The picture won't work right unless your monitor is set to receive the S-Video signal, which it won't be since it's coming in through the VGA port.

Just use an S-Video cable without any conversions for your video signal.. Converting it is only hurting the picture anyways; the signal is sent as a good S-Video output, and converting it only kills the quality, while going S-Video to S-Video uses the same signal that was sent without losing info via doing something it's not made to do. It's like stopping at a toll on the highway when you're already credited with paying- All you've accomplished is giving yourself a longer trip.

#4 ·
I would have to see a picture of this so called converter as the s-Video/component signal is analog and the DVI is digital unless it has its own power supply and some good quality hardware I dont see how it could work. You would also have issues with the HDCP handshake as it would likely not pass that signal meaning no picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.