Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Bi wiring question

Tags
wiring
1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Anthony 
#1 ·
Great article on speaker wire. One related question is on bi wiring my B&W Speakers. Does Bi Wire have an audible difference than straight wiring? Thanks for any feedback on this.

#2 ·
This is a bit like asking "which religion is better?" In MY opinion, there are no audible gains from bi-wiring. Others will disagree. I suggest you try it and see for yourself. :)

#5 ·
Only if you don't have enough gauge. Remember you amp forms a circuit with the speakers so as long as you have adequate wire the resistance is negligible.
+1

Bi-amping only works well with active speaker systems
This has been debated, and requires some very careful setup. Some actually believe that if you compare to a decent single amp, most differences heard have more to do with improper setup than technological advantage.

#6 ·
Audioholics did a nice article on biwiring a few years ago where they delved into the math and what's known as a "Transfer Function" in signals analysis. Basically they modeled all aspects of the amp to speaker circuit with and without biwiring.

Their conclusion was that the the extra cable resistance *could* add some damping to the electrical path. However this was much, much lower than other factors like the crossover design, speaker impedance, and the amplifiers own output impedance -- so its audibility is questionable. My advice is to always try it for yourself, but "to thine own self be true." :D Don't fool yourself into hearing a difference (tough to do, I know). But if you have the extra wire to try it, no harm in a little experiment.

Bi-amping is a completely different story. Its benefits are great, but at two very big drawbacks: cost and complexity (extra amps and not plug-and-play).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.