Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Rca Optical or Hdmi

Tags
hdmi optical
3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  SAY IT LOUD 
#1 ·
I was told by the sales guy my new LG BD390 has 7.1 audio. Now my question is what is the best audio option?:dontknow:RCA Composite video (too many leads) or Optical? The optical lead i have can do video and Audio or HDMI. Advice greatly appeciated.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

#2 ·
I thought the 7.1 had to go through the HDMI cable, but I could be wrong there. This is because the only 7.1 material is on BluRay (Dolby and DTS) and I know you need an HDMI input on the receiver to get that material.

As for most DVDs with 5.1 material, you can use optical or coax. For Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1, either will work equally well.

#8 ·
If your receiver and DVD player both have the 7.1 outputs/inputs, then you could go that route as well.

It all depends on which unit has the better processing chip. If the player is better, then it is better to have the player convert the signal to analog and feed the analog signal to the Onkyo. If the Onkyo has better circuitry, then you are better off sending the digital signal directly there and letting it do the decoding.

If they are both equally as good, then the HDMI cable would just be less clutter (and cost).

I am not as familiar with the LG unit, but Onkyo is known for having good decoding chips so I would just go with the HDMI and keep it simple.

#11 · (Edited)
The Belkin cable is for DTS® and Dolby® Digital surround sound,

Digital Optical Audio uses polished optical terminations and optical fiber to transfer digital signals through pulsating light. Fiber is immune to all forms of EM/RF interference, providing superior sonic accuracy and a more detailed, natural sound.

Ordinary optical cables can compromise your audio performance by using lower-grade, optical-fiber materials, and hot-plate termination of the fiber, rather than polishing. This can result in signal loss that causes poor clarity, loss of definition, and sound that is not truly accurate. PureAV Blue Series Digital Optical Audio Cables use the highest-quality materials to enhance your digital surround sound experience. This is what belkin say.

I need a difinitive answer if possible please. Has anyone done tests optical vs hdmi or is it simply personal choice?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.