Power protection options... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 11-07-07, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System
Power protection options...

I currently have a Panamax unit that allows me to plug most all of my equipment into it for easy powering on and off, as well as surge protection. However, it only has one high current amp outlet. I use my Adcom ACE-515 which has two high current outlets for my two SVS subs.

I am going to have to do away with the ACE due to needing more room for the new equipment coming in. I'm looking for protection for my subs so that I can plug them directly into the wall as well as I need protection for my ML electrostat speakers that I have to plug into an outlet.

Panamax has some somewhat inexpensive (I can get them at cost) units that can be plugged directly into the current outlets for protection. I need to make sure I'm getting the right ones.

Here are my options:

Panamax M2: Has two 15 amp outlets...
(Retail $40)

Panamax M2A20: Has one 15 amp outlet and one 20 amp outlet...
(Retail $90)

Panamax M2SUB: Has two 15 amp outlets plus a pair of RCA loops...
(Retail $50)

They all offer the same surge protection. I don't see the benefit of the RCA loop on the M2SUB.

Would the M2A20 be better for each sub since it has a 20 amp outlet, or is 15 sufficient for my SVS PB12-Plus2?

I've got to have 4 units... one for each sub and one for each ML speaker. I wouldn't mind having one for my projector ceiling outlet as well.

Are there any better options than these Panamax units?

Then I have another situation I'd like to fix. I have my Behringer EP2500 in the rear of the room next to my DIY sub. Everything else is in the front and powers on with the remote macro. I have to manually turn the EP2500 on and off... and forget to turn it off most of the time.

I suppose I could get another Panamax unit similar to what I have now and place it at the EP2500 and run a long 12 volt trigger cable back there from my preamp to the Panamax. I just hate to spend a couple hundred dollars for another Panamax unit for just one amp and the 12v trigger. I would use the ACE that I'll no longer be using, but it does not have a 12v trigger on it.

Any ideas? Is there a single or dual outlet unit with a 12v trigger that is inexpensive?

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 11-07-07, 03:28 PM
Elite Shackster
HTS Moderator Emeritus
Re: Power protection options...

I haven't shopped for one of these in a while, but I had to go semi-expensive to get that feature. I ended up with a clearance Monster HTS 3000 unit. It has delayed on and off outlet banks that work like a charm. Turning on the receiver boots all preamp devices first and then boots the amps 10 seconds later. On power off, it delays the preamps from turning off for 6 seconds. No more thumps. I can set any bank to switched, on, or delay. It works well and was around $300 on clearance.

I had not seen that feature at a cheaper price point, but that was three years ago.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-07-07, 03:42 PM
Elite Shackster

I use the M2SUB for my sub and find the RCA in/out filters useful because they protect against signal-line-borne surges. They are not simple loop-throughs. This might not be an issue for you but my main rack (with an APC S-15 running all the electronics) is on one dedicated line and the sub is on another dedicated line.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-07-07, 06:54 PM
Plain ole user
Tech Guru
Send a message via AIM to lcaillo

Protecting the signal lines is very important, IME. We see some of the nastiest damage in lightning strikes on the ground foils of audio equipment that does not have signal line protection. Having the grounds all tied together is probably the most important part, but having the ability to clamp voltages either way is also likely why we do not ever see damage on systems where every component is protected and every signal line goes through the surge suppressors. We use the Panamax equipment on virtually every system and I cannot recall ever having products damaged in any of our installs except those where cable or sat installers bypass the signal line progtection. I have repaired hundreds of components that were not part of our installations and did not have this kind of protection. I have come to believe based on this great disparity that proper protection, as descried by Panamax is very important. They have fine products, fine support, and a lifetime warranty. There are a few products that can be found with similar protection at a little lower price, but overall, they are a great value.

Looking for me, just google my username. I have used the same one for most sites for many years.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-08-07, 12:10 PM
Elite Shackster
My System

Have you looked at getting one from Triplite They have a great product line and guarantees not only the unit its self but any equipment plugged into it.
I have two, The that has surge protection and noise filters for each set of plugs.
and a two plug block here it also has the same features.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

Last edited by tonyvdb; 11-08-07 at 12:28 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-08-07, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
HTS Hillbilly
HTS Administrator
I'm a redneck!
My System

Yeah... I looked at all the Tripplite products, but they don't have any like I need. My outlets are on separate walls, therefore I need separate protection units... and I prefer they be small like the Panamax units above. I went ahead a ordered up several of those.

Cedar Creek Cinema

PremierHomeAudio: Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, Def Tech and more. Shoot me a PM!

options , power , protection

Quick Reply

Register Now

Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page