Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

IR Repeater installation

113K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  bizlee 
#1 ·
I was asked to share with the forum how to install an IR repeater system, here is how I did it - I'm sure there are lots of others:

Having an IR repeater system is one of the most satisfying and easiest projects to carry out, you basically need a repeater, receiver and senders to each unit you want to control.

Repeater
Using a standard outlet box a repeater is a device that picks up the signal from the remote and sends it to the receiver, it has to be 'in line of site' of the remote. I mounted my repeater above the screen, and used Cat5 cable to connect to the receiver. The attached link is a typical source and what I used:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=182-310

Light Lens flare Automotive lighting Lighting Sky

Receiver
The receiver is a surface mounted box that takes the signal from the repeater and sends the IR command to the components to be controlled, it need to be reasonably close to the equipment. In addition it needs a power supply. My receiver is surface mounted, the one I used operates 4 pieces of equipment and to increase this they can be daisy chained together with one power supply.
Link to source:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=182-315
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=182-317

Electronics Electronic component Technology Electronic engineering Circuit component

Emitter
The final task is to stick an emitter, using 2 sided stick tabs supplied with the emitter, over the IR window of the equipment and plug them into the receiver.

Source:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=182-305

Electronics Electronic device Technology

Since building my system I later discovered that you can buy double and triple senders, which eliminate the need to have more than one receiver and save money. In addition the 3.5mm plug is standard, and you can mix and match components from different manufacturers.

Well this was my approach, please post other ideas, mods etc.

See less See more
#31 ·
So run a wire from the grafik eye to the IR hub, then attach a 3.5mm plug. Actually wouldn't it be easier to run a wire that already had a 3.5mm plug on both ends and cut one end off. How do I know which wire is for data and ground.
Yep, you could just cut one plug off a cable that has 3.5mm plugs at both ends. It has to be mono (as you've already figured out). The tip is the data and the sleeve is the ground common.

brucek

#32 ·
I was looking up some IR extension wires. (just a long wire with 3.5mm male and female ends) This one is actually from Xantech and it is a stereo cable. I was thinking that it may be possible to wire the stereo wire to my Grafik eye. Couldn't I just the base for the common, tip for signal, and just leave the middle section not wired up.

#33 ·
Couldn't I just the base for the common, tip for signal, and just leave the middle section not wired up.
Nope, because the sleeve connection in the mono jack will unfortunately line up just about where the insulator is between the ring and sleeve on the stereo plug.

You require a mono plug. I'm sure you can find a mono cable with 3.5" connectors.

brucek

#35 ·
Can you install 2 "receiver" sensors that go to the same repeater and emitters?
Mmm, don't know, since it at least depends on the current each receiver draws. The receiver block would send a DC voltage on the line that is connected to the receiver. Placing two receivers in parallel adds an unknown as to whether the block could supply them both, and the fact that you would be shorting two transmitters (from the IR receivers) together. Sounds like a bad recipe to me.

brucek

#38 ·
Let me chime in on the installation of an IR repeater. They are not difficult to install.
1. Targets are receivers for the IR remote signals.
2. Multiple IR target formats are available and can terminate parallel into a single connection block.
3. If the target is near a plasma display, use a plasma proof target.
4. IR flood type emitters don't perform as well as the direct panel mounted emitter buds
5. Make sure you place the emitter on the IR sensor area in the electronic equipment for optimal performance.

If you have any addition questions, contact us for technical support.
Larry Harris
Ram Electronics Industries, Inc.
888-726-2440

#41 ·
Hi guys,

Hopefully someone might be able to help me wiring my IR repeater to my Grafik Eye QS.

This is the IR repeater I am using. Unfortunately both the repeater and the GE QS manuals are pretty light on information.

Can anyone tell me what sort of voltages the GE QS is expecting when you wire up an IR emitter to the GE? I can control the GE with my harmony 1000 when pointing at the GE IR sensor. I can control it using an IR repeater if I place a bug/flasher in front of the GE IR sensor.

However when I wire a cable with a 3.5mm jack on one end into the GE IR posts nothing works. I have checked the continuity of the cable and it is fine. The voltage down the cable does change when the repeater is receiving commands and passing them on.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Simon

#42 ·

I recently had a similar problem with my IR system that had me pulling my hair out. Continuity in my wiring checked out fine, and I ended up replacing every piece in the system trying to track down the problem.

Turned out to be the last thing I would have expected: The power supply. The problem was one that slowly developed over the course of several months, so apparently my power supply gradually wasn’t putting out like it once had. I noticed that Xantech’s current power supplies had a higher current rating than the one mine came with 10 years ago. So I replaced the power supply and now everything works fine. And I have enough duplicate parts for a second IR system, if I ever need one. :(

Regards,
Wayne

#43 ·
Hey All,
I thought I'd plough through the multiple layers of user sign-up security built into this forum to say "Thanks!" to the helpful people on this thread. I went with the setup described by the original poster and it went flawlessly. I used cat5e for the wiring which was cheap and easy. I have 3 flashers (one for future expansion). The IR parts I bought all came from a supplier in Ottawa (which was awesome because I'm in Canada). This is the icing on the cake to my biggest AV project where I bought an HDMI 4x4 matrix switch from Monoprice so I can send my PS3 and HD PVR signals to any combination of TVs in the house. I can start playing PS3 games in the basement, then finish in bed upstairs with barely a moments interruption. We keep the same PVR content for any screen in the house. Wifey is super happy, which is always key! I'm thinking the whole thing probably cost about $800-$1000 (conservatively), and the way I see it, if I could go to a store and buy a box that does this exact same thing I'd probably pay even more than that.

The only challenging part was fishing all the wiring without leaving my walls looking like swiss cheese. A nice roll of fish tape is definitely your friend here!

Stu

#44 ·
new comer to the site, i found it thru looking for a suggestion for an IR repeater and universal remote,
My question is with a budget of around $350 what is the suggestion for a universal Remote and an IR repeater to handle 4 components plus an Apple TV, I would like not to have to run a separate HDMI for the Apple Tv and use the same universal remote for all components. thanks for your help.

#45 ·
If you can do the programming a URC MX-350 and MRF-260 would work fine with that application and I have done it many times.

#47 · (Edited)
I've got a question that hopefully someone can help me with.
I have a Xantech 789-44 and I just broke the IR receiver off the receiving cable. (I then lost the diode). Basically all I'm looking for is a IR reciever that has just 3 wires coming off the receiver. Because of my setup this is easier than one with a 3.5mm jack at the end of the cable; however, I could always just cut the jack off and use the wires.

I effectively want something that looks like this:

But is a receiver not a flasher. I also understand the receiver will be a little bit bigger, but I'm looking for the most minimalist design possible.

Thanks!

#49 ·
EPA search for dinky link as that is the common name used, you should find quite a few online in table top, surface mount or in-cabinet designs. The in-cabinet would be your best bet just make sure it is compatible with your display as many older versions will have problems with picking up stray frequencies from plasma and LCD displays.

Reactions: pixology
#50 ·
Hey Buddy!

I am glad to find this site to talk IR repeater with you. I am a Chinese supplier of electronic items such as IR repeater, VGA splitter, HDMI splitter, Stud/metal/Voltage detector(DIY tool), Alcohol tester etc.

For the IR repeater system, there are two models. One is with fixed frequency like 38 Khz and 56 Khz. So people may encounter problem when using this fixed frequencey type. Now, we developed a broad frequency type(25-60Khz).
Our IR repeater system including:
1)A receiver, A repeater box and Up to 4(dual) emitters--8 connectors to 8 different devices
2)We have both USB or Adapter power supplier. For USB power supplier, the maximum q'ty of connector are 4.
For Adapter power supply, we can make it to 8 connectors:sn: or more.

On request, I could provide more detailed information for your reference. PLS feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.