Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

response correction for induvidual speakers

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  gytomi 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and searched the forum, but didn't find anything to my problem.
So I have an older reciever, Pioneer wsx 323 that not supports MCACC. I decided to do room correction with REW. I made some measurements with a Behringer ECM8000 mic, and applied automatic correction on the response. Saved the file in .txt and applied it with a program called equalizer APO, that makes the filters working on windows audio outputs. Well the result is confusing in a way.. The sound enhanced alot in the mid, and high end of the spectrum, but it killed my sub. The bass is decrased hugely. The problem I guess is in MCACC correction in the reciever itself, corrects the speaker responses induvidually, a different EQ for the front left, the center and so on. So I wondered.. I can measure my spakers one by one, but is there a way, to apply all different corrections for all speaker under windows? any program, that can do that? I connected my Pc to the reciever via SPdif. Any help welcomed.

#2 ·
Possibly, if not probably, what happened is that you had a peak or two in the sub’s response that were eliminated via equalization. Let’s say for the sake of argument that your sub had an 8 dB peak. Your mains / subs blend was based on that peak, so now that it’s gone your sub level is 8 dB too low. The solution is to simply increase the sub level as needed, either via the receiver or directly on the sub itself.

Regards,
Wayne

#3 ·
Thank you for your answer Wayne. Sadly, increasing the volume of the sub doesn't help, because the freqvencys under 50 Hz are EQed out dramatically (by -20 db I think). So if the wolume is higher, the sub is not getting louder, because the freq range where the woofer works is missing from the source signal itself, because equaliser APO apples it on the whole signal that goes into the reciver. Maybe some treatment on the filters manually should help. Thanks alot anyway.

#5 ·
Hello Wayne.
After some searching on the web I realized, that maybe I made some mistake when setting up REW's filter settings. So I made some new measurments this time focused on music listening in stereo (front speakers without sub).
Results:
interesting, that without eq there is a peak at the 80 Hz area in the waterfall diagraph
and after the eq it's fixed, but a new peak apears in the 100 Hz area, that wasn't there before

Owerall, the response is reasonably flatter, and the sound is better after eq-ing. Still sounds a little weak in the bass for me, but thats maybe because I listen to my sistem that way for a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.