Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

EQing Nearfields (Mains)

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Wayne A. Pflughaupt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello...

i´ve spend a lot time here and in my little mixing room trying to correct the response with an parametric EQ. I have corrected the complete bass with 3 bands and used two more narrow bands for correcting two peaks @ 200Hz(3-4db) and 430HZ(4-5db). The Bass sounds really good after correction. (i´ve also done some manual sweeps to assure i could hear these peaks and not only measure)

The problem now is, if i do a mix on this speaker and listen to it on other speakers in other rooms the mix sounds mudy and unclear in the upper bass range and lower mid range(in comparison to other mixes). But i can´t hear these problems on my main speakers although the response looks really good without deep notches....also there are no abnomitys in the waterfall graph. Is eqalizing the range above 100hz more worsening?? thank you so much for some informations and experiences

#2 ·
Is eqalizing the range above 100hz more worsening?? thank you so much for some informations and experiences
The higher frequencies certainly require wider bandwidth filtering. Any narrow high Q filters (such as at 430Hz) would be troublesome, since moving a very small amount from that measured spot would result in a much different response. This is why room treatment is usually the best solution to any problems above that 100Hz area you're discussing.

brucek

#3 ·

Hi Michael,

It's hard to give a definitive answer, since there are so may variables that you didn't go into, such as details about your mixing room, type of speakers both there and the other rooms, etc. I've done a little mixing in a small studio I have access to, so I understand your frustration with the bass not sounding good on other systems. I suggest posting your question on our Multimedialand Production Forum, where we have some folks with some professional exerience along these lines who could probably help you out. Or if you like, I can simply move this thread there for you.

Regards,
Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.