How loud is 80dB?? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound Marantz Standout Design OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Equalization | Calibration > REW Forum
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 15193 - Replies: 14  
Old 08-07-06, 04:53 AM   #1
Shackster

surrey lad
Since: Apr 2006
Epsom Downs, Surrey, UK
I started this thread.
How loud is 80dB??

Hi guys..

I spent some time on Saturday setting up REW/BFD and my servo-15 sub (not quite there yet!) and I'm quite surprised at how low, let's say 60Hz sounds when set to 80dB reading off my spl meter.

When running the frequency sweeps I was half expecting to shack and rattle the room annoying the neighbours and wife but instead all I hear is a very subtle sweeping sound.

Is this right

BTW great forums guys. I haven't posted many but read loads!!

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-06, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Shackster
Platinum Supporter

Dan
Since: May 2006
Australia
Re: How loud is 80dB??

I think this is normal, my mower puts out 75Db (by the label on it), if you really want to shake your room turn it up to around 110-120Db. Maybe some of the other guys can tell you more. welcome to the shack

Old 08-07-06, 06:35 AM   #3
Elite Shackster

Chrisbee

With respect Danny, if you turn a sub up to between 110-120dB you can probably say bye-bye to your sub.

Subs are very few and far between which can tolerate such levels even for the brief period of a test sweep. 120dB @ 10Hz (at the start of the REW sweep) is probably beyond the ability of almost all commercial subs available anywhere.

Old 08-07-06, 07:48 AM   #4
Shackster

surrey lad
Epsom Downs, Surrey, UK
I started this thread.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. You have a point about your mower. I was cutting the grass with my new petrol mower yesterday (also displaying a 75dB warning label) , I took off my ear defenders to find that, 75db from a mower is pretty tame and bordering not requiring ear protection.

At one stage I did think that maybe the spl meter was faulty, so I used the auto setup procedure with mic that comes as standard on my EAD processor to self generate its own pink noise and allow it to set it's self to 75dB. Checked the RS meter and yes it read 75db, but strangely enough pink noise at 75 is loud.

Maybe I've answered my own question by comparing the calibration of the EAD with the RS meter, it just seemed surprisingly quiet to me.

Old 08-12-06, 08:35 AM   #5
josh
Inactive

hey Surreylad

Is that Surrey B.C.?

Believe me, the servo 15 will play any frequency to levels that will literally shake you walls and windows and with its built in overload protection, you don't have to worry about hurting it, I've had mine for 9 years and its well used, only shut down on me once and upon inspection, i found a towel had fallen down over the heatsinks, so it overheated, waited 10 minutes, removed towel and off it went.

The only sub I've ever tried that even came close was the Velodyne 18", but the servo 15 had a more pleasing sub 20 hz rumble to my ears.

The Velodyne is rated to 10 hz and the servo is rated at 115 db to 14 hz, but the Velodyne put out substantially less volume on my meter with a warble tone of 15 hz than the servo 15

The servo 15 rocks

Old 08-14-06, 03:53 AM   #6
Shackster

neophyte
Since: Aug 2006

josh, maybe you hear harmonics of 15hz and than you thing its louder than velodyne

Old 08-14-06, 05:52 AM   #7
Shackster

surrey lad
Epsom Downs, Surrey, UK
I started this thread.

Quote:
josh wrote: View Post
hey Surreylad

Is that Surrey B.C.?

The servo 15 rocks
Hi josh, its actually Surrey, UK, way way over the other side of the pond! i've just added the googlearth feature.

Over here the servo 15 has a bit of a cult following. I can't ever see myself having to upgrade unless something goes horribly wrong.

I used to drive a pair of REL Stratas, I couldn't believe the difference when I changed to the servo, within a minute of testing I had a BIG grin on my face,WOW.

Have you set up your servo using REW?

Old 08-14-06, 04:26 PM   #8
Elite Shackster

Chrisbee

Quote:
josh wrote: View Post

The only sub I've ever tried that even came close was the Velodyne 18", but the servo 15 had a more pleasing sub 20 hz rumble to my ears.

The Velodyne is rated to 10 hz and the servo is rated at 115 db to 14 hz, but the Velodyne put out substantially less volume on my meter with a warble tone of 15 hz than the servo 15

The servo 15 rocks
It is interesting that you claim to have actually heard frequencies below 20Hz. The RS meter can't differentiate harmonic distortion from fundamentals. It measures the first far more readily than the latter and does so by a very large margin.

Anything much below 25Hz on a low distortion subwoofer is the softest of animal purrs to my ears without any audible clues as to tonal quality or timbre. (No matter what the level)

To describe it as a "rumble" is certainly not the term I would use. I believe you are actually hearing the harmonic distortion components of the fundamental or local sympathetic vibrations.

These very low frequencies tend to modulate higher tones giving them a sort of tremolo or vibrato effect. While the fundamental remains completely inaudible to human hearing. The same can't be said for whales and elephants.

Old 08-16-06, 06:55 AM   #9
Senior Shackster

MACCA
Australia

I've played around with some sinewaves on my DD15, and I found exactly what Chrisbee said.

10Hz was completely inaudible but had a few windows were rattling.
15Hz I could feel pressure in my ears but no sound, except that the entire room including the substructure of the house was vibrating

cheers

HAA II
ISF
THX Certified Professional Home Theater 1

Old 08-16-06, 06:59 AM   #10
Shackster

surrey lad
Epsom Downs, Surrey, UK
I started this thread.

Quote:
MACCA350 wrote: View Post
I've played around with some sinewaves on my DD15, and I found exactly what Chrisbee said.

10Hz was completely inaudible but had a few windows were rattling.
15Hz I could feel pressure in my ears but no sound, except that the entire room including the substructure of the house was vibrating

cheers
What sort of dB levels was you playing at??

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne Check out the Woot product for today!

Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio  Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!

« Home Theater Shack > Equalization | Calibration > REW Forum »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »