Do I need to run REW on my HT if using Auto Calibration - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
XTZ Sound Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers!

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Equalization | Calibration > REW Forum
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1952 - Replies: 37  
Old 08-26-08, 06:54 PM   #1
Senior Shackster

Since: Jul 2008
I started this thread.
Do I need to run REW on my HT if using Auto Calibration

Do I really need to use REW if my receiver has auto calibration? I have a Yamaha 663 receiver with the auto room calibration feature, and I have run this a couple times to set everything but I am not sure if I should go ahead and run REW or not. Would I really benefit from using it?

I have two sub woofers and a 7.1 system/speaker set up. Although the Auto Calibration told me to set the cross over freq to max, not sure if that meant all the way to 120 or down to 50. The sub-woofers I have are not exactly the same, one is a DCM bottom firing 10" and the other is a Polk 8" front firing.

Any suggestions?

I have the REW software on a MacBook, and I believe I have calibrated it correctly. And I also have a Radio Shack digital sound meter.

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-08, 06:59 PM   #2
Senior Shackster

etcarroll
Since: Mar 2008
SE PA by way of Boston MA
Re: Do I need to run REW on my HT if using Auto Calibration

Definately run it.

Auto cal. in a receiver is not 100% by any means, REW wil point out where it missed.

Having 2 subs only increases the chance of there being a problem, might as well find out now.

I'd set XO at 50 before 120, but really, 80 might be best if its an option. Try both 50 then 80. your ears should be your guide in this.

Old 08-26-08, 07:14 PM   #3
Senior Shackster

I started this thread.

Well I am game for running it, but assume I know nothing Now that I have my sound card calibrated such as it is. I do not have a BFD so I would assume by the setup instructions I am going to use just the right in and out's. Right in on the sound meter and right in for the receiver?

Old 08-26-08, 07:50 PM   #4
Elite Shackster

Since: Apr 2006
Katy, Texas

Right out for the receiver...

Regards,
Wayne

Old 08-26-08, 08:10 PM   #5
Senior Shackster

I started this thread.

I consider myself an intelligent person but I am having some difficulty figure out the specifics on what to measure for what type of connections. Most of the diagrams show connections to the BFD but none if you just have a receiver. And most seem to talk about measuring your subs/low freq. Are there any tutorials or step by step how to's. Sorry to be so ignorant.

Old 08-26-08, 08:16 PM   #6
Senior Shackster

etcarroll
Since: Mar 2008
SE PA by way of Boston MA

Me too, and I had issues last month when I ran it, look for my thread, you'll see as I posted my issues, the experienced members here answered them. If you notice my first post, I outlined my equipment and room size, you can start there.

BFD is optional, not required, I don't have one.

You MUST HOWEVER read the first post, the stickied thread of REW info.

Find the 'GUIDES' section, then read the first 3 bullets, skip the 4th as its about BFD. I used this diagram from the guides section, minus the BFD part of course;

Attachments

Last edited by etcarroll; 08-26-08 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-27-08, 08:50 PM   #7
Senior Shackster

I started this thread.

I must be doing something wrong during my sound card calibration. I seem to get it calibrated but when I do step 7 here, my measurement does not base out at 0 but like at 75db its flat as a pancake but not at 0 I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
Attachment 9045

Last edited by akakillroy; 08-06-11 at 09:53 PM..

Old 08-27-08, 08:57 PM   #8
Senior Shackster

I started this thread.

Here is my initial sound card measurement, set at -12db I am in the yellow on the VU meters but in the green on the headroom of -6.x dbAttachment 9046

Last edited by akakillroy; 08-06-11 at 09:53 PM..

Old 08-27-08, 10:01 PM   #9
Elite Shackster

brucek
Since: Apr 2006

It's all fine. Save the soundcard file in REW and carry on........

brucek

Old 08-28-08, 01:08 PM   #10
Elite Shackster

David
Since: Oct 2006
Fontana, CA

Quote:
carls64 wrote: View Post
Do I really need to use REW if my receiver has auto calibration? ...
It seems that you're starting to have fun calibrating everything after the build ...

Is okay to have two subs, but is preferred to have two similar ... by the way: Did you do the crawling test or just placed them in the front wall???

When you get REW running ... calibrate one sub at a time, then combine their response to get the best out of the system

REW looks intimidating, but after a couple of measurements you'll see how easy is to use

Hopefully you won't need a BFD ... after you run REW try to adjust the response with your receiver EQ (I have the RXV 2700 and that's what I did) and I'm happy with the results

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Equalization | Calibration > REW Forum »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »