Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

No audio devices in REW soundcard preferences

961 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  JohnM 
#1 ·
Hi,

I wanted do start with some test measurements today, but I neither have an input or output device to select in REW.
I try it on a notebook. Beside the internal microphone and loudspeakers I have an ASIO soundcard (RME Multiface) and a MiniDSP umik-1 microphone connected. I can see the level of the analog inputs of the asio soundcard and I can play sound over their outputs. I can also use the internal notebook mic in the windows audio recorder and play sound over the internal loudspeakers. So all channels seem to work outside of REW.

Any idea what I can try to help REW detect my devices?
My preferred way to measure would be with the umik-1 mic and the asio outputs.

Best regards
Andy

#2 ·
If you want to use the UMIK-1 with ASIO drivers you will need to install ASIO4All.

You don't mention what Windows version you are running. If it is XP you are best installing Java 7 on it as Java 8 has compatibility issues with XP that can affect audio. If you installed the REW offline installer on an XP machine, uninstall REW before installing Java 7 then re-install REW with the Windows installer (not the offline version).

#3 ·
If you want to use the UMIK-1 with ASIO drivers you will need to install ASIO4All.
Thanks a lot for your fast answer! but does this explain why the asio card is not displayed in REW?

I use Win7 but I don't know yet which java Version is installed. Is it possible that a too old java version can lead to this behavior?

Is there a way to activate logging and set different log levels to further investigate?

Thanks again!
Andy

#4 ·
You can see which JRE is being used by looking in Help -> About REW, but no, the Java version shouldn't matter.

Stating the obvious perhaps, but if a card only has ASIO drivers you would need to select the ASIO driver option in REW's soundcard preferences to see it. Information about the audio devices available to Java can be generated using the "Generate debug file" button on the soundcard preferences. Make sure any devices you plan to use are plugged in before starting REW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.