Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Is my mic on? Simple way to test an omni mic?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jupiterboy 
#1 ·
Like the title says, I've been testing with my mic for more than a year, and now I am getting nothing but low volume notices. My computer (Mac) seems to have it's internal mic functioning, so I would like to confirm the mic and mic cable are working as they should. Is there a simple test using a multi-meter?

#2 ·
To check whether the mic is operating at all easiest is just to watch the REW VU meters (and the audio midi setup levels) when you tap the mic or speak into it. You should be able to disable or mute the signal from the Mac's internal mic using Audio Midi setup to make sure that is not providing the signal.

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, this procedure gives no signal. I have two preamp rigs. Both can be calibrated with various softwares, including REW. There is some chance that it is a Mac software core audio issue. I've gone through every procedure I know—various resets and forcing a rebuild of core audio. It has been messed up in the past, which I usually attribute to some Java snafu. I'd like to not buy a new mic and find I have the same issue. I'm a bit stumped though, as the only way to test is with the computer.

Maybe I'll take it up to the local music shop. I've tested the mic cable for continuity.

UPDATE—The mic is fine. It's some new MacGarbage software issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.