Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Using REW with external test signal

Tags
external test
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  jmartingarcia 
#1 ·
Sorry for the noob questions but first time working with REW. I have ordered a UMIK-1 microphone and plan to use it with REW on my laptop. The best and easiest test signal I can play is white noise from a file via my music server. This will take in the full two-channel reproduction chain from server to speakers. If I do this will I be able to take correction measurements in REW? I am looking for a half-dozen or so adjustment points (frequency/width/gain) that I can implement on my server using the SoX "equalizer" command. Thanks.

#3 ·
Since I already have a white noise FLAC file on my server I thought it would be easiest to play it while monitoring via RTA and adjusting to a flat curve from there. Saves me pulling my amp out of the cabinet to attach the input from REW. If done correctly would the end result be any different than running sweeps?

#4 ·
Better to use periodic noise, otherwise a lot of averaging is required for low frequency results, and for RTA better pink than white. You can save REW's Pink PN test signal to WAV and play that. Use a rectangular window in the RTA, no averaging needed for periodic noise. Match the RTA FFT length to the PN length setting, 64k works fine.

#7 ·
Hi all,

Related to this question. First time ever trying to do this on my room.

For a correct measurement, should I measure all speakers at a time ? more than one ? (front left, right and LFE ?). If the answer is yes I'm not sure how to send the signal from my laptop to more than one speaker (through my receiver) with a single RCA cable.

Do I need an extra equipment ?

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.