Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

New member. REW questions.

Tags
1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  FargateOne 
#1 ·
New member and needing some helpful info if possible.

I am planning on getting a new yamaha AVR in the near future. Reading on another forum that I will need REW to properly set up my sub. Also, some mentioned a miniDSP. I am not familiar with any of this so I come seeking some guidance. Keep in mind I have a simple 5.1 system and I am not going for studio quality sound.

Do I need REW, miniDSP or both?

Either option, I am pretty sure I will need a mic and the UMIK-1 comes highly recommended?

What else do I need? Something to hold the mic, hdmi cable????

My plan is to let YPAO handle the other 5 speakers. Then whatever I need for the sub I will figure out here. Will that work?

I have skimmed over the Sticky Threads at the top but will dive more into them over the next few days.

Any input before i get lost in all of this info is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
You can set up the sub with YPAO alone, and may want to try that first, many are happy with that. YPAO may have more limited eq for a sub than going with something like a REW & MiniDSP (REW for measuring and creating filters, minidsp to implement them), though you would also need a measurement mic to use REW so you're looking at $250 or so to start. I don't follow YPAO that much, not having had a Yamaha unit, but believe it is model specific as to the extent of what YPAO can do in a given unit, what model do you have? What sub did you get?

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. From what I have read you cannot set the sub EQ with YPAO. I do not currently have a yamaha. I am considering the RX-A1050 but haven't decided as of yet. Just trying to do my research before deciding.

SOme of hte threads here discussin REW but never mention a miniDSP so I am a bit confused if both are required. I'm guessing both would be better but this is all new to me.

Only an old sony sub at the moment. Depending on what receiver I get I was also looking at the SVS sb1000 but again, nothing definitive.

#6 ·

SOme of hte threads here discussin REW but never mention a miniDSP so I am a bit confused if both are required. I'm guessing both would be better but this is all new to me.
To expound a bit on lovingthehd’s post, REW is a platform for taking room measurements, while the miniDSP is an equalizer that you would connect to your system between the receiver and subwoofer. REW can interface with that particular equalizer, meaning it can recommend EQ filters and then load them automatically into the miniDSP. REW, or any measurement platform for that matter, requires a measurement mic. If you live in the US, you can get a custom-calibrated UMIK-1 from Cross Spectrum Labs for a mere $100.

If you’ve been living with a Sony sub, you’re going to think you died and gone to heaven once you get the SVS!

Regards,
Wayne

#4 ·
YPAO will calibrate your sub, i.e. set delay and level, and some eq (believe no lower than 31Hz IIRC).

Audyssey XT32 does a pretty good job of eq'g a sub (and in conjunction with Audyssey SubEQ that it's normally paired with, can separately adjust delay/level for two subs then eq them together). Only Denon & Marantz currently offer Audyssey. Pioneer's MCACC Pro apparently has similar dual sub capabilities.

REW is primarily measurement software, used with a measurement mic. Minidsp is a brand, but usually their 2x4 unit is used with up to 4 subs (I have both a balanced version and an unbalanced version). REW can interface with a minidsp to apply a calculated eq, or you can simply apply your own with just a minidsp alone (but best to have some way of "seeing" what you're doing with the measurements of REW).

REW does have one feature (no mic needed) that might be useful now, in that it has a room calculator to show you sub placement options and typical room modes.

Hope that helps....

#8 ·
Unless your not obsessive about fine tuning your system (reading between the lines I don't think you are) do yourself a favour don't bother with REW MiniDSP or a UMIC-1 because unless you are prepared learn how to use REW and to do the work it could just be a waste of money.

Take a step back
Yamaha YAPQ will set up and calibrate your system inc the sub.
Ok maybe not the best in the world but adequate for anyone with a Sony sub.

Better would be to look at a Denon or Marantz AVR that uses Audyssey XT32, which is a better calibration option than YAPQ, and would be far better for calibrating a SVS sb1000

Then if you want to go further in calibrating your room read up on REW, UMIC-1,and MiniDSP which can be added at your leisure
At the moment you don't need them
Regards
Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.