Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Please help me understand this part of rew user manual

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JohnM 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have difficulties understanding this part of the manual: page 129 from "the low frequency slope...." till "at the listening position"...
Can someone rephrase it for me in simpler terms.... for a beguinner.
I did my mesurement with the default values and not sure it is correct...
thanks ,
David

#4 ·
Those settings have no effect on your measurement. They are used the change the shape of the target curve if you want to have REW calculate filters to make your response match a particular target shape.

LF Slope and LF Cutoff are used to make the lowest frequencies of the target curve roll off in the same way as your speaker or subwoofer does, so that the EQ filters don't try and boost the speaker's lowest frequencies more than it is capable of.

The LF Rise setting is used to add a boost (often called house curve) to the target curve at low frequencies.

The HF Fall setting is used to match the target curve to the measurement's natural roll off at high frequencies, so that EQ does not try to boost the high frequencies excessively.

#5 · (Edited)
hello, thanks.
got it for the slope.... default setting is 1.8 ... I placed 0 as miniDSP advised to start with this....
But why the default settings put LF rise at 100 Hz and LF fall at 20Hz ? are we reading from right to left ?
I am not sure to understand what rise and fall means... I would have assumed LF rise would have been between 20 Hz and 50 Hz depending on the driver and its fall between 700 Hz and 1000 Hz (I test JBL drivers) ... and similarly on a two way speaker HF rise at around 1000 Hz and fall between 10kHz and 20or more kHz depending on the driver (here compression)...
besides if I change in the preferences these values thay are fixed in the equilizer window and come back to the above staed values....

#6 ·
The values affect the target curve only. To see what they do, the easiest thing is to change them and watch what happens to the target curve.

The equaliser preferences are the default settings for new measurements. They don't affect any measurements you have already made.

#8 ·
They have nothing to do with drivers, they are the span over which you want to have a rise in the target curve as frequency gets lower. Below the end the level stays constant. If you use a numeric keypad make sure Num Lock is on, or type with the normal keyboard number keys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.