Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW for Audyssey?

Tags
audyssey
4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  michael123 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have Onkyo SC-5509 with Audyssey XT32.

I don't like results of automatic calibration, howeverI don't want to spend 600$ on th Pro kit, only to be used with the SSP.

I used REW for few years, and have the necessary equipment.

Is there a possibility to use REW for calibration of Audyssey?

If I buy the PRO kit, can I use it for calibration of something else but Onkyo processor?

Thanks

#3 ·
Audyssey XT32 should give you reasonable results without the PRO software.
Can you run REW and show your response before and after using Audyssey XT32, along with what it is you don't like specifically about the sound.
Also let us know what the configuration of your room is and your seating position. Pics/drawings are a big help.

#4 ·
Thanks,

I know my room as I measured it with REW many times, and I have different setup for the 2-channel stereo - there I have JRiver with FabFilter VST

My concern here is for the Movies and Music Shows (aka blu-rays), where the soundstage is not great, bass is not that excellent as well.
In Movies we don't hear well the dialogs, and we frequently play with the volume

I'm sure that's not an issue with the equipment...

I thought that PRO Kit has more flexibility (I saw there mid compensation, what is it?).. My issue is less than with 600$, but that it is solely going to be used with the surround processor, and if I switch at some point to, say, Emotiva with Dirac, what I'm going to do with this kit?

#7 ·
That is the latest, and it will probably not receive any significant updates. Those who have tried Dirac Live universally agree that it gives much better results (soundstage and imaging, clarity, dialogue clarity...) with much less effort, so any future room tuning document is likely to focus on Dirac Live. Sorry, but for me personally, I have no interest or time for messing with Audyssey further, or writing about it or updating that guide.

Edit: That might sound cold. I did not mean for it to. A lot of people have gotten a lot of good out of Audyssey MultEQ, and a lot of people have been available over the years to help those who needed help. But times change, and most of those who were the mainstay helpers with Audyssey have moved on to Dirac Live.:dontknow:

#8 ·
I understand, I was actually thinking to buy Emotiva with Dirac (or even worse, to spend 600$ on software, while using excellent REW), but on the 2nd thought I don't really use that much surround to waste money on the hardware

And what I have is XT32, not MultEQ. I assume I did not calibrate properly so I started to look around for tips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.