REW 5.16 issues in OSX 10.11.5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 06-27-16, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chuck Zwicky

REW 5.16 issues in OSX 10.11.5

REW is such an incredible piece of software that it makes me very sad when it coughs up a furball...

REW 5.16 issues in OSX 10.11.5

Sometimes the “Distortion” plot is simply blank after taking a sweep measurement. and none of the harmonic check boxes are displayed, though they are when loading previous readings.

Changing the buffer side changes the measurement results, sometimes the measurement sweep is not performed and it returns to a blank plot.

Sometimes level calibration fails, even though there is a normal (-12dBfs) signal shown in the SPL meter, a warning is returned “Input level is very low (-180dBfs), etc…”

Even though I set the sweep to go from 1Hz to 24,000 Hz, the distortion plots all start at 10 Hz
Attached Thumbnails
REW 5.16 issues in OSX 10.11.5-rew-spl-calibration-fail.jpg  

REW 5.16 issues in OSX 10.11.5-rew-input-level-warning.jpg  

Last edited by zmix; 06-27-16 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-27-16, 03:40 PM
REW Author

John

Re: REW 5.16 issues in OSX 10.11.5

Quote:
zmix wrote: View Post
Sometimes the “Distortion” plot is simply blank after taking a sweep measurement. and none of the harmonic check boxes are displayed, though they are when loading previous readings.
That is fixed in the V5.17 beta versions.

Quote:
Changing the buffer side changes the measurement results, sometimes the measurement sweep is not performed and it returns to a blank plot.
Best not do that then. If there is significant latency to cope with it is probably best to use the acoustic timing reference and select the "Wait for timing reference" option on the measurement dialog.

Quote:
Sometimes level calibration fails, even though there is a normal (-12dBfs) signal shown in the SPL meter, a warning is returned “Input level is very low (-180dBfs), etc…”
Strange one. Can't reproduce that, the value used for the calibration is the same value that drives the SPL meter rms level displays so would expect any problems with it to show up on the SPL meter as well.

Quote:
Even though I set the sweep to go from 1Hz to 24,000 Hz, the distortion plots all start at 10 Hz
That is by design, I've added an explanatory note to the distortion graph help in the latest beta version: "The lower frequency limit for distortion plots is 10 Hz or the measurement start frequency, whichever is higher. 10 Hz is the lower limit of the logarithmic part of the measurement sweep. Start frequencies lower than that use an initial linear swept portion (to avoid spending an excessive proportion of the sweep duration time at very low frequencies) which means that region cannot be used to generate distortion data."
post #3 of 19 Old 06-27-16, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chuck Zwicky

Thank you so much. I'm testing 5.17 B3 now.

Most of the measurements I perform with REW are "E to E" rather than acoustical measurements, and the latency is typically less than a millisecond.

post #4 of 19 Old 06-28-16, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chuck Zwicky

Here's a typical issue I've encountered, tremendous ripple, as though there is a sample rate mismatch, or ?
post #5 of 19 Old 06-28-16, 01:08 PM
REW Author

John

No, that's from feedback - e.g. monitoring active on the soundcard - the second peak in the impulse response 23 ms after the first peak is the monitor signal. If the card has a 'Mix' knob or similar it needs to be set all the way to computer/DAW/however it labels the signal being fed from the computer.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-28-16, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chuck Zwicky

Thanks for the reply.

I double checked all settings on the interface (UA Apollo twin) and the input channels are routed only to the computer, not being sent to any of the interfaces various outputs. All aux sends and channel faders on the interface software are muted.

I suggest it's a bug (maybe not *your* bug!!) because the settings on the interface hadn't changed between all of my measurements, but randomly I'll get results like these.

(Besides which I've been a professional recording engineer for nearly 40 years and have an EE degree, so I'm pretty careful in my setup).

I rebooted the interface and quit and restarted REW and got "normal" measurements...
post #7 of 19 Old 06-28-16, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chuck Zwicky

Ok, one more issue. I just launched REW 5.17 B3 and ran a sweep, looked great, ran a second sweep, and it immediately returned to the display plot which was blank.
I've had this problem before, my workaround is to change the buffer setting or number of sweeps, or, failing that, to reboot..
post #8 of 19 Old 06-28-16, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chuck Zwicky

PS: When this happens it seems like the sweep has been internally cancelled, except that it produces a blank output plot.

PPS:I just changed the buffer, ran a sweep and it never completed, instead hanging up thusly:
Attached Thumbnails
REW 5.16 issues in OSX 10.11.5-rew-sweep-error.jpg  

post #9 of 19 Old 06-28-16, 05:41 PM
REW Author

John

If you look in the REW log files (location shown in the About REW dialog) after something odd happens there may be an error logged to give some indication where the problem might be. There do seem to be some audio oddities going on though, perhaps there is some JavaSound bug with thunderbolt interfaces.
post #10 of 19 Old 06-28-16, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Chuck Zwicky

Thanks for the info..

Oh yes we have logs...

Here are two from today..

"My Log knows things" - The Log Lady from Twin Peaks