REW Display Jumps All Over The Place - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 07-24-16, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

REW Display Jumps All Over The Place

Running REW 5.17 beta 7 for multiple instances on a Windows 7 desktop machine and after a couple of operations of any kind the display just goes whacko, jumping all over the place, completely unusable. I have a feeling I am not the original discoverer of this problem, but I missed any posts about it. Help, John?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-24-16, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Re: REW Display Jumps All Over The Place

I went clear back to 5.14 and it does it too. Looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
REW Display Jumps All Over The Place-rew.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-24-16, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

after uninstalling a couple of recent programs and doing a couple of reboots, REW is now stable. False alarm.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-25-16, 02:09 PM
REW Author

John

Typically a video driver issue, but the interactions between Java and the video driver are sometimes not easily resolved. If it happens again you can try disabling hardware graphics acceleration for Java in REW using the startup option described here.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-25-16, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Thanks, John. One of the "extra" video programs that came with a recent video driver update was to blame, I uninstalled it (& updated Java just for fun and because I needed to anyway) and rebooted a couple of times, and the issue was gone. It had me panicking a little. But REW 5.17 beta 7 with multiple instances allowed has run just fine since then.

post #6 of 7 Old 07-25-16, 04:37 PM
REW Author

John

Might be worth noting what it was here in case someone else gets caught in the same way.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-26-16, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

Wayne Myers

Of course. The two programs in question were Raptr.com and Plays.tv

I was trying out A-V capture programs at the time, and on one software install ended up with a Yahoo! search browser showing up at boot. Nothing against Yahoo!, I just did not want that critter on my computer. Somewhere around that time, updated video drivers (AMD) also showed up. Raptr.com and Plays.tx came either with the AMD video drivers or with the Yahoo search thing, and thinking through the details, I am not certain which it was, so I mention them both. The Yahoo! search window was finally eliminated via registry editing and a spyware search and destroy program.

In the process of installing and uninstalling REW, I noticed that the two programs in question always showed up as "most recently installed" on the Windows 7 Control Program uninstall a program screen. That should not be the case, it is almost "virusy" behavior.

Once I uninstalled both and rebooted a couple of times until a nice clean startup was completed, the REW display problem vanished. REW was the only application with the unstable display behavior.