Check Levels inconsistent?? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com
Home Theater Shack Forums
Marantz OPPO Digital - Universal Network 3D Blu-ray Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer Chane Music & Cinema Madisound Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects! Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products. Value Electronics: A trusted retailer and custom installer that specializes in whole-house audio, home theater, Plasma, LCD, LED, HDTVs, Blu-ray and more. Genelec: Active Speakers and Speaker Systems Audio General, Inc.: Great deals on projectors, screens and electronics. Underwood HiFi - Excellent discounts on some awesome name brands. Power Sound Audio designs, develops, and assembles high quality loudspeakers and subwoofers for home theater environments. Visual Apex: The most competitive pricing for home theater projectors... and built on customer satisfaction! SVSound Emotiva is your Home Theater Component Source for Audiophile Quality Home Theater Equipment at Factory Direct Prices Newegg: The perfect solution for all your HTPC and media server build needs! Creative Sound Solutions: Loudspeaker kits and components for subwoofers, midwoofers, woofers and full range speakers! XTZ Sound

Like Us on facebookREW
Go Back   Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com > Equalization | Calibration > REW Forum
Forgot Password?
Donations Reviews Vendors

Reply     Post New Thread
Views: 1548 - Replies: 20  
Old 12-31-08, 01:19 AM   #11
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Bob
Since: Sep 2008
Oregon
I started this thread.
Re: Check Levels inconsistent??

Windows XP Professional

Forum Rules Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-08, 07:33 AM   #12
Elite Shackster

brucek
Since: Apr 2006

Quote:
Where do I find Windows Mixer?
Double click the speaker icon in your desktop system tray.

The two mixers are setup as below.

To select Recording, select options, then properties pulldown

Playback Mixer
Name:  Windows MIXER Playback.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  49.9 KB

Record Mixer
Name:  Windows MIXER Record.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  24.2 KB

brucek

Old 12-31-08, 11:27 AM   #13
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Bob
Oregon
I started this thread.

Thanks Bruce. Is this all I need to do or are the options Steven listed necessary also?
Also, besides checking the items do I need to adjust the levels just as you show them?

Old 12-31-08, 12:29 PM   #14
Elite Shackster

brucek

Quote:
Is this all I need to do or are the options Steven listed necessary also?
Those options won't be available without the SB driver application software.

Quote:
besides checking the items do I need to adjust the levels just as you show them?
You set the levels as required by the Check Levels routine. I am only giving an example to show you what is enabled and muted.

brucek

Old 01-01-09, 11:39 AM   #15
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Bob
Oregon
I started this thread.

SUCCESS!
Thanks very much Brucek! I obviously didn't understand the necessity of adjusting the soundcard volume as well as input volume and preamp volume.

I am assuming that this graph is a correct one of course but I think I can now add a "room curve" adjustment to the bass. The treble doesn't roll off much to 20KHz but I like the sound in the room (which is heavily trapped). With the bass traps I have it looks like I don't have substantial peaks but I may not be able to reduce the troughs too much more. I think the waterfall is fairly good (not much beyond 300ms).

With a little help this software is really easy to use and it gives great results.

Attachments

Last edited by hrpschrd; 01-01-09 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Add waterfall.

Old 01-01-09, 11:56 AM   #16
Elite Shackster

brucek

Looks good.

Tips:

For subwoofers, always use the standard Vertical graph axis of (45dB - 105dB) and the Horizontal graph axis of (15Hz - 200Hz) using the Graph Limits button in the top right corner of REW.
For full range, use the standard Vertical graph axis of (45dB - 105dB) and the Horizontal graph axis of (15Hz - upper limits you desire, - certainly no higher than your soundcard or SPL meter can extend).
For full range only, enable smoothing to eliminate the comb filtering. Use a 1/3 octave smoothing.

The little floppy icon in the bottom left hand corner of your graph is used to save a jpg at 800 wide so you can post them here.

brucek

Old 12-01-09, 12:07 PM   #17
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Bob
Oregon
I started this thread.

Hello again a year later! And a year dummer: I am getting no sound during "Check Levels". I have read and re-read this thread but can't find the problem. It seems everything is setup the same as before with the same hardware.

To review: I have a SoundBlaster MP3 sound board connected to my stereo and my laptop. The Settings screen looks the same as before with the Mixer LineIn selected in Recording and muted in Playback. The "Check Level" output is at 0dB but Left and Right levels are not on scale. There is also NO sound.

What setting prevents output from the stereo (which is working fine)?

Old 12-01-09, 12:45 PM   #18
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Bob
Oregon
I started this thread.

Ok, found one mistake and am now getting -18dB in the Right channel but still no sound, so I cannot adjust to 75dB in the room. Arrgghhh.

Old 12-02-09, 01:31 PM   #19
Senior Shackster
Silver Supporter

Bob
Oregon
I started this thread.

Just in case anyone reads this thread (brucek?), I have solved the problem but I have no idea how.
I know one has to set up the Windows Volume Control settings properly to send a signal. Although it should have no effect, I found that increasing the volume on the Playback/Wave brought my signal up and it stayed there even though I could turn it down and it wouldn't go away.

This was a case of just fiddling knobs and getting lucky. Any rhyme or reason to that?

Old 12-02-09, 01:49 PM   #20
Senior Shackster

Bill
Since: Sep 2009
Austin, TX

I did not mention it before, as the symptoms of the SoundBlaster card my wife's XP desktop computer were different. There, usually when I start REW I have sound, but no levels show in REW. When I go into Sound in Control Panel and switch from Line In to Mic and back to Line In, the REW now receives the audio and displays the levels. So it seems the SoundBlaster drivers are sometimes buggy, where they are not actually acting identically to the settings they display, but when you touch a control they recognize the new value and the behavior again matches the displayed state.

Bill

Reply     Post New Thread     Back to Top of Page

Check out the Woot product for today!   Musicians Friend: Your one stop shop for microphones, mic amps and Behringer products.   Cmple   Monoprice Electronics   Amazon   Velodyne

Parts Express: Excellent Source for DIY Speaker and Subwoofer Projects!   Onkyo   GIK Acoustics: Home audio acoustics at its best... especially when you have help from the owners right here at the Shack!  Check out their very affordable acoustic panels!   Nyrius   Aperion Audio   Axiom Audio

« Home Theater Shack > Equalization | Calibration > REW Forum »

« Previous Thread   Next Thread »