Dayton EMM 6 and calibration file - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 08-14-16, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Dayton EMM 6 and calibration file

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and have been fiddling around with REW for quite some time.
I started using the mic provided with the Yamaha preamp, but I have now purchased the EMM 6 from Dayton. I'll soon be getting the phantom preamp to have it working correctly, but I was wondering if I could actually do things a little different from what has been explained on this forum and in the instruction manuals you find on line about seeting up REW.

First of all I am thinking to connect the mic to the phantom preamp and from there to use an XLR to USB cable.
Anyone here has tried it or can comment on this solution?

Second thing I would like to know if in order to have REW recognise the sensitivity of the mic I can just edit the calibration file adding the line:

"Sens Factor =-41.7dB"

Is there anything else I need to add in order to have Rew recognising it as a valid instruction?

Thanks to all of those that will comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-16, 02:51 PM
REW Author

John

Re: Dayton EMM 6 and calibration file

REW only checks for sensitivity factor for mics it recognises as a USB mic - UMIK, Omnimic and UMM-6. It needs to know how input volume setting maps to gain for the device to make any use of the sensitivity value. For an EMM-6, however you connect it, you will need to run through manual SPL calibration.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-17-16, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
REW only checks for sensitivity factor for mics it recognises as a USB mic - UMIK, Omnimic and UMM-6. It needs to know how input volume setting maps to gain for the device to make any use of the sensitivity value. For an EMM-6, however you connect it, you will need to run through manual SPL calibration.
Thanks John for the explenation. Is there anywhere in the forum or elsewhere it is explained what to do with the correction values that are generated by REW? How do you make use of those values in the PEQ of a Yamaha receivers in example? The frequencies reported in REW do not match those of the receiver's PEQ, so what do you reccomend to do?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-17-16, 03:02 PM
REW Author

John

If you don't have an equaliser that REW supports then an option is to adjust the equaliser you do have live, watching the effect on the system's response using the RTA. Use the Pink PN test signal and these RTA settings, you will then see the changes you make reflected in the response pretty much immediately.

Name:  rtasettings.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  17.2 KB
post #5 of 5 Old 08-19-16, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
If you don't have an equaliser that REW supports then an option is to adjust the equaliser you do have live, watching the effect on the system's response using the RTA. Use the Pink PN test signal and these RTA settings, you will then see the changes you make reflected in the response pretty much immediately.

Attachment 126834
Thanks a million John for the suggestion.