Is this equipment ok for REW? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-16, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Is this equipment ok for REW?

Hi folks

I'm new to this forum and I'm new to REW.

I have a Dayton Audio EMM-6 Electret Measurement Microphone & I just ordered a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (2nd Gen) USB Audio Interface for it.

Will this do the job? I have no experience with REW but I have used an SPL meter to to get my subwoofers integrated with my stand-mount speakers. That's the extent of taking any measurements of my system.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-16, 08:10 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Is this equipment ok for REW?

The Focusrite should work. Typically the most simple interfaces work best with REW,and that one appears to be pretty simple.

The mic will work too, but a mic with a calibration file will get more accurate frequency response measurements. However, if all you’re interested in is acoustics measurements (e.g. ETC), then no calibration file is needed and you’re in business.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #3 of 7 Old 09-07-16, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Wayne, thanks for responding, I didn't think anyone was going to.

Just wanted to let you know that the Dayton Audio EMM-6 does have a calibration file. I downloaded it at the EMM-6 webpage for DaytonAudio.

If you go to that webpage there is box where you enter the microphone Serial Number and click LOOKUP. I did that and downloaded a text file. I haven't entered it in REW yet, but I assume it will be accepted.

The first thing I am going to do with REW is measure low frequencies (for my subwoofers) and then try to get the output as flat as possible by adjusting the crossover frequency and level of each subwoofer. I did this previously by using a Radio Shack SPL meter and generating frequencies from a Stereophile test CD & recording the levels on graph paper. Since there are only a small number of frequencies generated, I don't really know if I did a very good job, but I did flatten the low frequencies as much as possible.

Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, this is the third time I have tried to reply to you, but when I try to post this I keep getting stopped because I havent' made enough posts. I assume this is because I entered the webpage where the calibration file was located.

Anyway, if you see 3 replies from me saying about the same thing every time, that is the reason why.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-07-16, 12:12 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know that the Dayton Audio EMM-6 does have a calibration file. I downloaded it at the EMM-6 webpage for DaytonAudio.
Unless things have changed, I wouldn’t put much stock on Dayton’s calibration files for the EMM6 - see here.

Quote:
Btw, this is the third time I have tried to reply to you, but when I try to post this I keep getting stopped because I havent' made enough posts. I assume this is because I entered the webpage where the calibration file was located.
Yes, you must make 5 posts before you can post links. We have a post padding thread that you can use to “burn” the posts you need to get to 5.

Quote:
Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.
Get the phase set right (i.e. distance) for each sub, then equalize them all together with a single set of filters – assuming you plan to equalize them (which is one of the main purposes for measuring them to begin with).

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #5 of 7 Old 09-07-16, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for sharing your considerable knowledge, Wayne. I haven't been on HomeTheaterShack very long, but I have learned a lot.

I went to the Cross-spectrum website and saw that they have two versions of the EMM-6 available, Basic & Premium. I don't know if the Basic model has just the Dayton Audio calibration file or if their Basic version has a better calibration file and the Preimium has an the most accurate file. Their Basic microphone is about $25 more and the Premium $50 more than the ones available elsewhere. I can see paying an additional $25 for a better calibration file, but twice the price of the microphone doesn't seem worth it.

I have never used an equalizer before, and the thought of running everything through an equalizer just isn't possible for the "audiophile" in me. I would be willing to put just the subwoofer inputs through such an equalizer though. Is that feasible, and if so, what reasonably priced equalizer would you recommend?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-07-16, 04:31 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
I went to the Cross-spectrum website and saw that they have two versions of the EMM-6 available, Basic & Premium. I don't know if the Basic model has just the Dayton Audio calibration file or if their Basic version has a better calibration file and the Preimium has an the most accurate file.
Cross Spectrum’s mics each have their own custom calibration. They aren’t using Dayton’s. The Basic only has a 0-degree calibration, which is used when the mic is aimed at the speaker when taking measurements – the preferred method, IMO. That’s for main-channel speakers though – subwoofers are omnidirectional so it doesn’t matter where you point the mic when measuring them.

The Premium calibration includes additional calibrations for 45- or 90-degree orientation of the mic, the latter of which is a popular option among most home theater enthusiasts.

Basically, the calibration file allows the measurement platform to “see” the mic as having perfectly flat frequency response, which allows us to use economical mics for measurement. Consider that without calibration from a company like Cross Spectrum, it would cost you multiple hundreds of dollars to get a measurement mic that truly has flat response.

Quote:
I have never used an equalizer before, and the thought of running everything through an equalizer just isn't possible for the "audiophile" in me. I would be willing to put just the subwoofer inputs through such an equalizer though. Is that feasible, and if so, what reasonably priced equalizer would you recommend?
An equalizer can be inserted in the signal chain between the receiver and subwoofer. The MiniDSP products are popular with home theater enthusiasts. If you prefer a more traditional model that looks good in an equipment rack, you can’t beat the vintage Yamaha YDP2006 digital parametric. It’s actually clean enough for full-range use – see the review in my signature.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #7 of 7 Old 09-07-16, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks Wayne, great information.