No Sound during Setting Levels???? - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #21 of 47 Old 10-03-16, 08:54 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: No Sound during Setting Levels????

If you’re getting audible signal from REW into your audio system, you’re good to go. Don’t fret about the other stuff, just go ahead and take a measurement.

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 47 Old 10-03-16, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Wayne

While I appreciate your confidence. Thank you.

The programme is not setup yet. As I mentioned, according to the instructions, there should be a reading in the middle and possibly the right gauge.

As I asked:

OK I pushed next a couple of time and got this noise. There are 3 vertical gauges only the Left Hand Side (LHS) showed anything – the video showed LHS and middle

The instructions said: The 1kHz tone is now playing. Adjust the Input Volume using the REW control (if enabled and available) or your soundcard's mixer or your OS audio level controls so that the input level is close to the output level, ideally within 6dB, and the peak level (the red line on the bar) is lower than -1dB.
HOW do I do this?
Is there anything I can do?
post #23 of 47 Old 10-04-16, 04:31 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
HOW do I do this?
Not sure I get the confusion. You do it just as the instructions say: Use the controls in REW to adjust the input level.

No Sound during Setting Levels????-10-4-2016-4-05-02-pm.jpg

If the input controls are grayed out, then you have to adjust the levels outside of REW, using level controls from your sound card, or failing that from those in the operating system.

Quote:
There are 3 vertical gauges only the Left Hand Side (LHS) showed anything
That’s a curiosity. The right meter is the one that shows REW’s output. You said before you were getting a signal from REW into your audio system, so the meter should show a level.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

|

post #24 of 47 Old 10-04-16, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Wayne

Thanks for the help

As I have no idea what I am looking for, it makes it very hard

I do NOT have the same screen as you have shown, so that also confuses me.

I increased the numbers on the small thing called “Input Volume” this rose the LHS and the RHS bars to -40. That was a high as it would go.

I do not think this is right??

Please see my screen shot

Thanks

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
No Sound during Setting Levels????-2016-10-05-initial-sweep-noise-capture.jpg  

post #25 of 47 Old 10-04-16, 07:57 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
foxint wrote: View Post
I do NOT have the same screen as you have shown, so that also confuses me.
It has basically the same controls, just a different layout.

Quote:
I increased the numbers on the small thing called “Input Volume” this rose the LHS and the RHS bars to -40. That was a high as it would go.

I do not think this is right??
It’s no different than the input: If the output control is grayed out and inaccessible, then increase the output level outside of REW, using level controls from your sound card, or failing that from those in the operating system.

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #26 of 47 Old 10-04-16, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Wayne

Thank you.

I am not sure what you mean. Can you make it a little less cryptic.

Your screenshot is totally different from mine. So you can understand my confusion????

Could you please answer these 2 question???:

1. So I am assuming the levels should be level – Is that correct?????

2. As I said I cannot get my levels higher. So how do I do this outside of REW. I do not know HOW??

Looking forward to a simple step-by-step answer

Thanking you in advance for your understanding. This is totally new and very confusing
post #27 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the help so far. But I have no idea what to do.

Yes I am not getting anywhere...So can some please help....this is what I have done. I know it is not correct. But there are no instructions. The all have big gaps with assumed knowledge, that I do not have. So I am hoping to find some advice.

I tried to increase the volume (bottom right) of my screen and it made no difference. As for what I think you asked... I do not have (or I do not know) of any additional volume bar other than that on the bottom right that does nothing. No mixer, no nothing - or nothing that I am aware of.

BTW I am on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.
Attached Thumbnails
No Sound during Setting Levels????-2016-10-04-initial-sweep-noise-capture.jpg  

No Sound during Setting Levels????-2016-10-05-calibratesoundcard.jpg  

No Sound during Setting Levels????-2016-10-05-calibratesoundcard-graph.jpg  

Last edited by foxint; 10-05-16 at 03:35 AM.
post #28 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 07:13 AM
HTS Senior Moderator

Quote:
I am not sure what you mean. Can you make it a little less cryptic.

Your screenshot is totally different from mine. So you can understand my confusion????
As I said before, they are basically the same, just with a different layout. Both have essentially the same controls.

For example, have you ever had to replace a DVD player that broke with new one? The new one has a different remote control. It looks totally different from the remote control the old DVD player had. But if you look closer you’ll notice that they both have play, pause, and stop buttons, a power button, a menu button and other buttons for navigating the menu, etc.

This is no different. Take a closer look at the two screen shots of your REW Preferences / Soundcard box and mine and you’ll see they both have input and output level adjustments, boxes for selecting the input and output devices, etc. They’re in different places and perhaps the buttons and boxes are shaped different, but it all works the same, just like the DVD remote controls.

Make sense?

Quote:
Could you please answer these 2 question???:

1. So I am assuming the levels should be level – Is that correct?????
They don’t necessarily have to be.

Quote:
2. As I said I cannot get my levels higher. So how do I do this outside of REW?

No mixer, no nothing - or nothing that I am aware of.
Sure there is. Every sound card has one. It’s your computer’s basic volume control. You do have a little speaker icon in your task bar, right? You can find it at the red arrow in the screen shot below.

Please note, your screen will look totally different than mine. You may have your task bar at the bottom of the screen, not to the side like I do. If so don’t be confused by that, they all work the same. Just try to find the little speaker icon that looks like the one at the red arrow in the screen shot.

When you click on it, a little box will pop up. It has a little slider. I circled mine in orange in the screenshot below. Your little box with the slider may look totally different, but don’t worry about that. They all work the same.

That slider is the volume control for your sound card. Raise it up and down and you will see the level input meter in the REW window go up and down with it. Please note, this will only happen after you click on the “Check Levels” button in REW – it’s at the blue arrow in the screen shot – and have a signal playing in REW.

See the second screen shot and you can see that after I raised the volume slider up (orange circle), the meter in the REW window also increased (orange arrow). Can you see the difference between the position of the slider and meter level in the two screenshots?

Please note:
* You may have both the left and right meters in the REW window changing with adjustments to the volume slider (orange circle in screenshot).
* You might have only the right meter changing, like my screen shot shows.
* You may have only the left meter changing.

It’s not a problem. It's nothing to be confused or concerned about. Everything on your screen doesn’t have to be exactly like everything mine in order for this to work for you. As long as the volume slider (orange circle in screenshot) moves a meter in the REW window, we’re making progress.

No Sound during Setting Levels????-rew-screenshot-1.jpg

No Sound during Setting Levels????-rew-screenshot-2.jpg

Regards,
Wayne

|

post #29 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 12:55 PM
REW Author

John

Hi Dan, you are using the UMIK-1, which is a USB microphone. As the help says, soundcard calibration is not required with a USB microphone. The levels you are seeing on the In and Ref In meters look normal.

There is a detailed guide to setting up REW in this AVS post. It is primarily aimed at using HDMI to connect to the system on the output side, but also covers using a simple audio connection. You should find your questions are answered in that guide.
post #30 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Wayne

Thank you for the DVD analogy. But at the end of the conversation I still cannot operate the software and I am getting very depressed.

My questions remain unanswered and I have more:

1. So I am assuming the levels should be the same. A video said they should be close.
a. What do you mean by “They don’t necessarily have to be” 10% different 200% different.

2. I cannot adjust the RHS levels to match the LHS level. How is this done? (as I said I have no way or do not know anyway to change the levels – the volume slider on bottom right makes no difference)

As I said I am on Win 10 and I cannot find anything like you suggest. I have attached a screen shot of the result of clicking on the little speaker. I do not know (if it indeed exists on Win 10) how to find anything like you are explaining.

From my experience with my Win 10, I do not have or cannot find the Volume Mixer

Sorry is I cannot find it, I cannot find it???

Are they any Windows 10 people out there???

3. I think the 3rd screenshot (above) is wrong. So:
a) what should it look like
b) how does one achieve the desired result.

Hi John – nice to make your acquaintance.

Yes I am using UMIK-1.

Yes I did read the guide and still get confused and stuck at this very early part in the setup.

No I do not have HDMI

If possible can anyone assist in this (as for the experts is easy) for me a dummy from the bush is very hard.
Attached Thumbnails
No Sound during Setting Levels????-2016-10-06-result-click-small-speaker.jpg