No Sound during Setting Levels???? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #31 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 04:52 PM
REW Author

John

Re: No Sound during Setting Levels????

Hi Dan,

Please pause for a moment, and read this carefully. You are skipping past the information you need to understand.

The process you are going through at the moment is soundcard calibration. Do not do this. You have a USB mic, soundcard calibration does not apply when using a USB mic.

The guide I provided you a link to above also covers using a simple audio connection. It is very comprehensive and goes through every step. I recommend you try it, but it certainly isn't compulsory.

You do not need to use the volume mixer, don't worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Guys

I eventually found the Volume mixer and it makes no difference see screen shot….

So?????
Attached Thumbnails
No Sound during Setting Levels????-2016-10-06-volmixer-noeffect.jpg  

No Sound during Setting Levels????-2016-10-06-volmixer-noeffect-02.jpg  

post #33 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi John

Now you have totally confused me????

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20Version.pdf

Is talking about ASIO… I have ASIO or a part there of…but I do not understand ASIO.

Sorry for being stupid, but I thought the soundcard calibration required one putting a plug in the output and the other end into the input.

So this screen is NOT where I want to be.

Where do I want to be????

post #34 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 05:16 PM
REW Author

John

One other thing to note, Dan. Your volume control screenshot shows that Windows is using the digital (optical) output from your soundcard as its default audio device. On the REW soundcard preferences you have left the output selection as "Default device", which means REW will use whatever Windows is using as its default. However, you said you have a cable from your analog output to your system, so you need the analog output to be used by REW. You can tell REW which of the available outputs you want it to use with the Output selector, the choices offered vary depending on what the PC offers but the analog one is often called Speaker - there should be a clue in the names which is the analog output and which is the digital output. To check whether you have made the right selection, open the REW Generator (just click on the Generator button), choose Sine Wave if it isn't already showing that and click the green Play button - if you hear the 1,000 Hz tone coming out of your speakers all is good, otherwise click the play button again to stop the generator and try whatever other option is offered in the Output dropdown list.
post #35 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 05:18 PM
REW Author

John

Dan, I have said this twice already, but I'll try again. Do not do soundcard calibration. It does not apply when using a USB mic. Don't do it. Not even a little bit. At all. Ever.
post #36 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi John

Thank you.

Yes, I have given the soundcard calibration away.

I am very confused….

I have loaded a screen shot…what things do I need to change??

Yes I have a cord from Speaker Out to the pre-amp. I just turn the knob on the pre-amp to select. Yes I can hear a high pitch sound, but it is not very loud

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
No Sound during Setting Levels????-2016-10-06-sound-prefs.jpg  

post #37 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 05:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Please Dan, we can’t help if you aren’t going to take the time to read our posts and follow our directions.

Quote:
JohnM wrote: View Post
One other thing to note, Dan. Your volume control screenshot shows that Windows is using the digital (optical) output from your soundcard as its default audio device. On the REW soundcard preferences you have left the output selection as "Default device", which means REW will use whatever Windows is using as its default. However, you said you have a cable from your analog output to your system, so you need the analog output to be used by REW. You can tell REW which of the available outputs you want it to use with the Output selector, the choices offered vary depending on what the PC offers but the analog one is often called Speaker - there should be a clue in the names which is the analog output and which is the digital output. To check whether you have made the right selection, open the REW Generator (just click on the Generator button), choose Sine Wave if it isn't already showing that and click the green Play button - if you hear the 1,000 Hz tone coming out of your speakers all is good, otherwise click the play button again to stop the generator and try whatever other option is offered in the Output dropdown list.
Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #38 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 05:51 PM
Elite Shackster

My System

Man, I haven't had this many notifications since the last "cable" thread. Rofl!!! Sorry guys... couldn't resist. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #39 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi Wayne

I am not really sure what you are saying. I appreciate your time and John’s excellent comments.

More than happy if others help…. It is so bloody confusing for a non-technical person like me. I do not even use my phone ….

The more the merrier…

I am unaware of the windows sound facility and how it operates.

If I am guilty, I am guilty of not knowing the ins and outs of windows and REW. I have from the start said I was a complete novice and much of the assumed knowledge of you and the other experts have, I do not have.

So I apologise for not having technical knowledge of windows or REW. Please do not come down of me just because of my lack of knowledge.

So as John said I was totally off course. So our initial conversation was not even on the topic. I do thank John for steering me back on track.

Perhaps I just need to confirm what I want:

I just want to get some “meaningful” graphs so I can adjust my graphic equaliser to get better music. I have a UMIK-1, pre-amp, electronic cross-over, graphic equaliser, Aphex and a couple of studio amps. Plus, a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computer (yes that I have no idea how it works).

My next question is:

Now that I can hear a high pitched sound coupled with the screen shot: am I on the right track.

If not please let me know where I went wrong
post #40 of 47 Old 10-05-16, 08:08 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt

REW is challenging enough in itself, but if someone is lacking proficiency at operating their computer’s audio, and / or making the basic cable connections between the computer and the audio system to be measured (after seeing your sound card screen, I’m not even sure that’s been done correctly), then I’m not sure how we can help. There are hundreds of sound cards out there; there is no way we can be experts on even a few of them. The computer’s audio and REW work together, and one can’t use the latter without knowing how to use the former, so that's where you should start before even attempting REW.

I don’t know which video you have referred to in previous posts, but I’d recommended trying some other ones instead. There are dozens on You Tube, as well as numerous on-line blogs as well. Also please review the AVS thread John linked, Austin Jerry’s tutorial that you linked in Post #33, and the REW Help Files. Between them you should be able to get this going.

Regards,
Wayne

|