Using REW to test/calibrate gear only - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-16, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Using REW to test/calibrate gear only

Hi,
I have some older analog gear, like tape machines and a recording console for example.
I've used REW before and calibrated my converters with a loop back. It's a great tool, thank you for making it!

I'm wondering if I can use it to test frequency response (and more) of some of my aging gear? If so, are there threads about this already?

REW feels really deep and developed, I worry I might be missing some settings or something that might make results inaccurate. So far my tests have resulted in shockingly good results, like perfectly flat response from 30Hz up to 20k?
Seems too good to be true, lol.
...maybe it's the tukey windowing? I just leave it to that because I figure it's the best since its default... Should I switch to different windowing/smoothing?

Or anyone else been down this road can point me in right direction.

Thanks big time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-16, 02:11 PM
REW Author

John

Re: Using REW to test/calibrate gear only

Best post an example measurement mdat file, easier to check the settings that way.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-16, 08:45 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Re: Using REW to test/calibrate gear only

Quote:
tapereel wrote: View Post
I'm wondering if I can use it to test frequency response (and more) of some of my aging gear? If so, are there threads about this already?

REW feels really deep and developed, I worry I might be missing some settings or something that might make results inaccurate. So far my tests have resulted in shockingly good results, like perfectly flat response from 30Hz up to 20k?
Seems too good to be true, lol.
You want to know if REW can test the frequency response of your gear, but youíve already done it and made some graphs?

Regardless, itís an easy thing to do. Just do the sound card calibration routine, and instead of running the cable from the soundcard output to its input, insert the piece to be measured in the signal chain. I.e., soundcard output -> audio component input -> audio component output -> sound card input.

In addition to determining frequency response, you can also measure the effects of tone controls, EQ filters, etc. that might be applied by the audio component. I used this loopback method to generate all the frequency response graphs you see in Post #2 of this article:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post689670

Regards,
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|

post #4 of 4 Old 10-17-16, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I zoomed all the way in, and it's wasnt until max zoom that I was able to see the squiggly lines that I expected to see. It's just surprisingly flat, my console channels are from Sony mxp 2900 and it's showing a gently sloping line gradually moving up about total of 0.5 dB all the way from 30Hz to 20kHz. Under 30 the roll off is quick. 20Hz is about 5 or 6dB down, so that seems about right. The sound card was more flat didn't start to drop off until around 8 or 9Hz.