Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

tboooe's REW project (feedback please)

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Wayne A. Pflughaupt 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys just wanted to post the results of my REW project. Before I started to design the filters I spent several days adjusting the position of my speakers to try and get the best possible response. I ended up moving my speakers a bit closer together and further forward than where they were previously. The resulting sound was immediately better than what I had before, even before applying any filters. My speakers never disappeared more.

What this process really showed me was just how moving the speakers just a fraction of a inch could have a huge impact on the response. It definitely helped that I already had bass traps and absorption panels at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling. Overall, I am pleased that the overall shape of my baseline response resembles the recommended downward sloping curves. Initially I am going to go for a shelf between 20-100hz at 80db, then a gradual downward slope ending -10db at 20khz.

That being said, I still had 2 major valleys and 1 peak between 60-200hz. Here is my baseline response:
Text Green White Line Pattern

Here are the individual Left and Right speaker response before and after applying filters. I know the individual speaker graphs dont look all that amazing. I ended up creating filters for each speaker individually, though I used the combined stereo response as my guide. Because I was more focused on the combined stereo response, I was less concerned with what each speaker response graph looked like by itself. Hopefully this reasoning is sound.

Left speaker (green is after applying filters). I ended up using 4 filters between 50-200hz. I tried really hard to use as few filters as possible but it just wasnt possible given the closely bunched sawtooth response I had.
Text Green Line Blue Plot

Right speaker (blue is after applying filters). I ended up using 5 filters.
Text Purple Line Blue Green

Finally, is the final response graph compared to the original baseline (red is after applying filters). Overall I am very happy with how it turned out. For the most part, I am within 3db of the curve I wanted to achieve. I still have problem areas at 1200 and 1600 hz but I didnt want to apply filters at these higher frequencies. Any advice on how to improve things would be very much appreciated.
Text Green Line Pattern Plot

Here is my waterfall graph. It looks like I have some long decay times between 20-70hz. Not sure how to address this. More absorption panels?
Red Text Plot

See less See more
#2 ·

Good job !

Finally, is the final response graph compared to the original baseline (red is after applying filters). Overall I am very happy with how it turned out. For the most part, I am within 3db of the curve I wanted to achieve. I still have problem areas at 1200 and 1600 hz but I didnt want to apply filters at these higher frequencies. Any advice on how to improve things would be very much appreciated.
It’s no problem equalizing in that range. Just make sure you use matching filters for the left and right, not separate ones as you did between 50-200 Hz. You could give it a try to see if it makes things sound better in that range. You can always disengage the filters if it doesn’t get an audible improvement.

Here is my waterfall graph. It looks like I have some long decay times between 20-70hz. Not sure how to address this. More absorption panels?
Waterfalls are only useful below about 300 hz,, not full-range. Your decay is actually pretty good in the 20-70 Hz range, better than a lot of rooms have. It doesn’t appear that you are exhibiting any room modes, so the only way to improve the decay is more bass traps.

Regards,
Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.