Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

REW for simple 2CH setup?

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  wgb1202 
#1 · (Edited)
A lot of what I've read here, on the REW site, and elsewhere focuses on using REW to measure and tweak multi-channel setups. It's understandable this being Home THEATER Shack but I'm looking for some clarification from anyone around here using it in a simple 2-channel music setup. Here is my system:

Mac Mini
KEF LS50 Wireless
SVS SB-1000

They're connected via USB.

I ordered the miniDSP UMIK-1. Is there anything else that I'm going to need from a hardware standpoint? Is there a streamlined software setup guide for this simple of a system?

Bill

#4 ·
Ok, so it appears you will have EQ capability (unsure of the exact details with Roon parametric), so you shouldn't need any hardware. Except maybe a 2nd sub ;-).
Measure away. Your main concern should be <300-400hz or so. The KEFs are good speakers and your ears will tell you (>400hz) when they're dialed in right via positioning etc.
Getting smooth bass from a single sub in room can be difficult. Placed close to you (nearfield), there will be little modal penalty (smooth response), but problematic integrating smoothly with mains due to distance. If you place the sub close to mains, it will integrate better...but most likely be further from you, so large amounts of modal interaction - peaks and dips in response at listening position.
REW will show you...

cheers

#5 ·
I've run dual Dayton Audio SUB800s previously and was able to get satisfactory results blending them with a pair of passive LS50s and a pair of B&W N805s. They were set up along the front wall, behind the positions of the speakers.

The plan with the active LS50Ws is to put the SVS sub smack dab in the middle of the front wall at two nulls to take care of three modes: 49Hz, 148Hz, and 198Hz.

My room is small (10' wide X 12' long X 9' high) so almost any placement is nearfield but it's dedicated so I have some freedom.

I'm using Harman's Room Mode Calculator to determine best speaker/listener placement. I've initially settled on the tweeter centers being 33" out from the front wall and 30" from the side wall. I'm still trying to decide between 24" and 30" stands. When seated my ears are 35" off of the floor, 40" off of the rear wall, and dead smack in the middle of the width of the room.

I have soffit traps that run the perimeter of the ceiling and "superchunk" style traps in the front corners that run from floor to the bottom of the soffits. All are stuffed with Roxul Safe & Sound.

Floors are hardwood but a thick wool area rug takes up 80% of the floor including 100% coverage between the speakers and between myself and the speakers.

I measured years ago with REW and am hoping to get even better results now with my current setup. I'm hoping I'll be able to tweak placement a little and use the rather powerful EQ/DSP in Roon as icing on the cake to take care of most of my issues.

Even though I'm measuring for a one-person sweet spot - should I still take multiple measurements in that area to get the best results?

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.